PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Morocco & ATC . . . . ?

atombomb96
16th Oct 2003, 22:49
Hi there!
I'm off flying to Morocco in my Microlight aircraft in a couple of weeks or so, and wanted to drain any ATC brains over there\people that have already done it.

Is it planned to file a flight plan before entering and getting the necessary paperwork sorted, but how flexible are the ATC guys and gals over there if I have to make a change ?

Is a Flight Information Service possible, or do I have to stay VHF all the way down the coast ? I will have a Mode C transponder fitted.

Also, any idea on landing fees en-route ?

I intend to make stops every 2-3 hours or so for fuel and wind\weather permitting. :cool:

Any pointers appreciated!

Regards.

212man
18th Oct 2003, 06:11
Can't comment on low level VFR, but have ferried 4 helicopters through including night stops in Tangier and Cassablanca, and have only praise for ATC. It's a pretty modern country anyway by African standards, but with the volume of Canaries holiday traffic passing overhead plus their own tourist trade, it's a very modern and efficient service.

There are VFR charts available with designated routes marked that I have seen in passing there. You may be able to get in touch with their CAA and find out more. Landing fees were cheap; around $20 I recall for a 5 tonne a/c. Your greatest aid will be some French.

Some petty officialdom but nothing unexpected or unreasonable.

Have fun!