PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gatbash VIP's

InFinRetirement
16th Oct 2003, 21:56
I have put this post in PPRuNe Bashes but I thought some of you might interested to note the following if you do not visit that forum.

"There is a possibility that a Lancaster pilot from 617 will be with us for the GatBash. He was not a dambuster but he did two attacks on the Tirpitz, 2 on the Saumur tunnel and I think two on the U-Boat pens at Brest - all with the Grand Slam designed by Barnes Wallis. He also made various other raids.

I am also hopeful that 3 or 4 BoB pilots will be with us as well. They had a great time last visit and I know they will enjoy it. However, at the time of their last visit there were 318 of their number still alive. As of last week - even today - there are 202. The last one to leave us was AVM Foxley-Norris who died last week.

I also hear that Ray Holmes is very poorly, a great pilot. It was he who shot down two Ju88's over London, ran out ammo and rammed the third and ripped the tail off. Broke his propellor and parachuted into a dustbin in Victoria minus one boot and a sock! The local housewives thought he was a German and were about to lynch him until someone shouted that he was an English pilot - then they made offers he said " that shocked even me!"

I will let you know the names as soon as I have confirmations. I think it would be nice that PPRuNe once again honoured and entertained these fine gentlemen and heroes.

I also hope that a flying celeb will be with us but have not received confirmation yet."

Keep an eye on the Bashes forum for updates.

I can now add to that the name of Capt. Eric 'Winkle' Brown, who will be Guest of Honour.

IFR