PDA

View Full Version : Islander notes

Friction Nut
15th Oct 2003, 18:36
Can anybody out there advise me of an internet link or any type of resource where I can obtain performance and handling notes for Britten Norman Islander.

Many thanks in advance

flyboy-nz
15th Oct 2003, 18:45
found one or two things using google , but nothing too specific

http://www.britten-norman.com/products/bn2b/moreinfo.htm

this was an interesting read

http://www.britten-norman.com/brochures/islander.pdf

some information from the caa uk on registered types

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/393/srg_acp_ba08-12.pdf

just a few of the things i could find ..

hope it is of some use

flyboy

Islander Jock
15th Oct 2003, 19:21
Friction Nut,
Might be able to help you out but not until I return to Oz. in about 5 weeks time.
I have a good set of notes for a BN2A-21.
PM me with your details if you would like me to copy and send when I get home.

chimbu warrior
16th Oct 2003, 14:22
I reproduce below absolutely everything you need you know about the BN2............

65 knots.

There you go.

Torres
16th Oct 2003, 14:32
LOL@Chimbu Warrior. You beat me to it by a few minutes!!!

404 Titan
16th Oct 2003, 17:50
Another number I use to remember besides the magic 65 was 120.
120 Octane Avgas consumed at 120 litres/hr gives you a forward velocity of 120 kts and 120 Decibels of noise. :ouch: :ok: ;)

Pinky the pilot
16th Oct 2003, 18:35
404Titan; 120 Decibels????????
And the (expletive deleted) rest!!
Were yours fitted with mufflers or something? All the Dz BN2s I flew were somewhat on the deafening side.

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Capt Fathom
16th Oct 2003, 19:06
And at 170kts on descent, you have to hold the trim wheel to stop it from trimming nose up...:O

druglord
16th Oct 2003, 21:12
yeah like they say the only way you know you've lost an engine is the disproportional asymetric pain in ones ears.

Chimbu chuckles
16th Oct 2003, 21:33
170kts!!!

Ya big girl:D

Remember a mate in an E55 pulling up next to another mate known as 'Bigfoot' in a BN2 in the Lagiap. A wing waggle, smile and the forks were tendered towards the Bn2 prior to the big peel off and 'high speed descent' down the valley towards Wabag. Having levelled off a low altitude, and with Bigfoot merely a dim memory, the E55 chum's peace was shattered by the words "I'm still 'ere" in his headset. Looking back out the rear windows he sees a Bn2 in close formation!!!:} :uhoh: :E

Chuckles

DubTrub
16th Oct 2003, 22:21
New design - BN2-XL

Undaunted by technical realities, the design team at Pilatus Britten - Norman has announced plans for the BN2-XL, promising more noise, reduced payload, a lower cruise speed, and increased pilot workload.

We spoke to Mr. Fred Gribble, former British Rail boilermaker, and now Chief Project Engineer. Fred was responsible for developing many original and creative design flaws in the service of his former employer, and will be incorporating these in the new BN2-XL technology under a licensing agreement. Fred reassured BN-2 pilots, however, that all fundamental design flaws of the original model had been retained. Further good news is that the XL version is available as a retrofit.

Among the new measures is that of locking the ailerons in the central position, following airborne and simulator tests which showed that whilst pilots of average strength were able to achieve up to 30 degrees of control wheel deflection, this produced no appreciable variation in the net flight of the aircraft. Thus the removal of costly and unnecessary linkages has been possible, and the rudder has been nominated as the primary directional control. In keeping with this new philosophy, but to retain commonality for crews transitioning to the XL, additional resistance to foot pressure has been built in to the rudder pedals to prevent over-controlling in gusty conditions (defined as those in which wind velocity exceeds 3 knots). An outstanding feature of Islander technology has always been the adaptation of the O-540 engine, which mounted in any other aircraft in the free world (except the Trislander) is known for its low vibration levels. The Islander adaptations cause it to shake and batter the airframe, gradually crystallise the main spar, desynchronise the accompanying engine, and simulate the sound of fifty skeletons fornicating in an aluminium dustbin.

PBN will not disclose the technology they applied in preserving this effect in the XL but Mr. Gribble assures us it will be perpetrated in later models and sees it as a strong selling point. "After all, the Concorde makes a lot of noise" he said, "and look how fast that goes." However design documents clandestinely recovered from the PBN shredder have solved a question that has puzzled aerodynamicists and pilots for many years, disclosing that it is actually noise which causes the BN2 to fly. The vibration set up by the engines, and amplified by the airframe, in turn causes the air molecules above the wing to oscillate at atomic frequency, reducing their density and creating lift. This can be demonstrated by sudden closure of the throttles, which causes the aircraft to fall from the sky. As a result, lift is proportional to noise, rather than speed, explaining amongst other things the aircraft's remarkable takeoff performance. In the driver's cab (as Gribble describes it) ergonomic measures will ensure that long-term PBN pilots' deafness does not cause in-flight dozing. Orthopaedic surgeons have designed a cockpit layout and seat to maximise backache, en-route insomnia, chronic irritability and terminal (post-flight) lethargy.

Redesigned "bullworker" elastic aileron cables, now disconnected from the control surfaces, increase pilot workload and fitness. Special noise retention cabin lining is an innovation on the XL, and it is hoped in later models to develop cabin noise to a level which will enable pilots to relate ear-pain directly to engine power, eliminating the need for engine instruments altogether.

We were offered an opportunity to fly the XL at Britten-Norman's development facility, adjacent to the BritRail tearooms at Little Chortling. (The flight was originally to have been conducted at the Pilatus plant but aircraft of BN design are now prohibited from operating in Swiss airspace during avalanche season). For our mission profile, the XL was loaded with coal for a standard 100 nm trip with BritRail reserves, carrying one pilot and nine passengers to maximise discomfort. Passenger loading is unchanged, the normal under-wing protrusions inflicting serious lacerations on 71% of boarding passengers, and there was the usual confusion in selecting a door appropriate to the allocated seat. The facility for the clothing of embarking passengers to remove oil slicks from engine cowls during loading has been thoughtfully retained.

Start-up is standard, and taxiing, as in the BN2 is accomplished by brute force. Takeoff calculations called for a 250-decibel power setting, and the rotation force for the (neutral) C of G was calculated at 180 ft/lbs of backpressure. Initial warning of an engine failure during takeoff is provided by a reduction in vibration of the flight instrument panel. Complete seizure of one engine is indicated by the momentary illusion that the engines have suddenly and inexplicably become synchronised. Otherwise, identification of the failed engine is achieved by comparing the vibration levels of the windows on either side of the cabin. (Relative passenger pallor has been found to be an unreliable guide on many BN2 routes because of ethnic consideration).

Shortly after takeoff the XL's chief test pilot, Capt. Mike "Muscles" Mulligan demonstrated the extent to whch modern aeronautical design has left the BN2 untouched; he simulated pilot incapacitation by slumping forward onto the control column, simultaneously applying full right rudder and bleeding from the ears. The XL, like its predecessor, demonstrated total control rigidity and continued undisturbed. Power was then reduced to 249 decibels for cruise, and we carried out some comparisons of actual flight performance with graph predictions. At 5000 ft and ISA, we achieved a vibration amplitude of 500 CPS and 240 decibels, for a fuel flow of 210 lb/hr, making the BN2-XL the most efficient converter of fuel to noise after the Titan rocket. Exploring the Constant noise/Variable noise concepts, we found that in a VNE dive, vibration reached its design maximum at 1000 CPS, at which point the limiting factor is the emulsification of human tissue. The catatonic condition of long-term BN2 pilots is attributed to this syndrome, which commences in the cerebral cortex and spreads outwards. We asked Capt. Mulligan what he considered the outstanding features of the XL. He cupped his hand behind his ear and shouted "WHAT?" We returned to Britten-Norman convinced that the XL model retains the marque's most memorable features, whilst showing some significant and worthwhile regressions. PBN are not, however, resting on their laurels. Plans are already advanced for the Trislander XL and noise tunnel testing has commenced. The basis of preliminary design and performance specifications is that lift increases as the square of the noise, and as the principle of acoustic lift is further developed, a later five-engined vertical take-off model is also a possibility."

Chimbu chuckles
17th Oct 2003, 08:10
I can, after 1800 odd hours, well attest to the aircraft's stability. On one occasion, while taking off from Popondetta, with a 8 NRSLC (Non Reflective Self Loading Cargo) ensconsed, a huge Wasp appeared buzzing in front of my face. Now I'm no coward but I HATE Wasps...a lot. In a flash I had undone my seat belt, slid over to the co-pilot's seat and beat the offender to death with the big orange Talair Flight Manifest book.:D The mighty BN2-300 droned onwards and upwards undisturbed and as I sheepishly regained my seat I glanced rearwards...7 completely unemotional blank stares and one guy at the back with a big grin:E

Chuckles

Friction Nut
17th Oct 2003, 08:22
Thanks very much for the research flyboy-nz and Islander jock. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

DubTrub, I cant wait to have a crack at the XL, very funny indeed.

Once again, thanks.

Tinstaafl
17th Oct 2003, 08:40
A classic British design. That's not exactly a compliment.

Willie Nelson
17th Oct 2003, 09:25
OK... not exactly the quietest machine gracing the skies these days, however thoroughly enjoyable to fly. Anybody who is given a chance should jump at it. This is one of the only STOL piston twins aound these days and correct rotation technique and handling will see some remarkable limited airfield performance. Enjoy.

Willie

chimbu warrior
17th Oct 2003, 18:11
I imagine that the XL will also incorporate improvements to the environmental control system; the Mark I had such a wonderful flow of fresh air through it that operations in the tropics required a warm jumper, lest the pilot freeze from the ventilaion.
................come to think of it, the couple of kilos of perspiration I shed daily when flying the broom-broom probably kept me trim in those days. Forget Jenny Craig, I'll just go back to the Sepik and fly an Islander again.

Tinstaafl
18th Oct 2003, 05:48
Granted their short field performance is excellent but a joy to fly???? :confused:

Pinky the pilot
18th Oct 2003, 09:02
I finished up with around 780 hrs in the 'broom brooms' and can honestly say that I enjoyed flying them despite now having a 20% hearing loss!
chimbu warrior; I can remember being cold in a BN2 once. IMC at 17,000 and I was wondering what all those tiny white flakes that were coming in via the ventilation ducts were and why I felt cold. It was -5C for starters!
And whilst I think of it....once had a conversation with Dennis Douglas about what the (unofficial) altitude record for BN2s in PNG was. He refused to say! Someone must know so......
Paging Chuckles, Torres, Herk Jerk....

you're born. Once when

Rabbit 1
19th Oct 2003, 18:47
All this talk about the BN2. Real men flew the BN3 & some of us are still alive to brag that in this instance bigger wasn't always better!

Torres
20th Oct 2003, 07:44
The BN2 internal watering system is great (through the lap joint immediately in front of the wing). The fuse would make a terrific plant hot house........

Kiwi Flyer
21st Oct 2003, 23:48
Ah....Yes the BN2A (Come to think of it, has anyone noticed a difference to the B!:confused: ). Come and fly one in Northern Botswana they said, sh!t they could have told me it gets up to 52 degrees!!!:\ Hell will be a doddle after this, I'll take my ski gear I think!:E

Mr Proachpoint
22nd Oct 2003, 07:53
Always used to get a chuckle out of the pax during the safety brief:

"Please ensure your seatbelt is firmly fastened for takeoff and the landing at Suchandsuch and if you decide to get up and walk around the cabin during the flight, please remember to refasten it on returning to your seat."

MAPt

BongoDriver
22nd Oct 2003, 09:21
And when your endorsed feel free to call it the name every other BN2 pilot calls it.

BONGO

Tinstaafl
23rd Oct 2003, 05:28
No...

I call it a "sh!t of an aeroplane." with all the grace & pleasure of the development version of the Mark I Landrover. :yuk:

TopperHarley
23rd Oct 2003, 13:58
Are there any other aircraft that can lift 9 people out of a 300m strip for $600/700/800 an hour??

DubTrub
23rd Oct 2003, 15:12
Piper Cub...in eight flights, and less than $600 the lot.

Raingauge
23rd Oct 2003, 15:26
They are great out of short strips but 9 passengers in 300 m?!?!?! I don't know what you put in your tanks but it ain't avgas. I haven't done a P-Chart in a while but I'm pretty sure you'd need a bit more than that at close to a full load....mind you it is hot where I am so maybe you could get that in the cold, but I'd be supprised.

I'd also like to see a 300m strip.....surely that would be as useful as a hole in the head.

druglord
23rd Oct 2003, 19:04
well said raingauge....:O ....yeah they're good, and doing that's a good way to make yourself famous on the evening news.

BongoDriver
23rd Oct 2003, 21:37
Ive lifted 9 pax out of YMAB Mabuiag Island Torres Strait in 30k HW's. I think Mabuiag is 400m give or take.

Tinstaafl
25th Oct 2003, 06:49
I go into a 380m strip several times per week. Our limit in nil wind/15deg C or lower is 4 males or 5 females (using our UK CAA approved standard pax. weights 90M/72F/15kg baggage allowance). Standard fuel load is 180 kg. Of course a headwind has a significant benefit on the load limit.

Weed
30th Oct 2003, 06:39
BN-2 with 300hp donks requires 460m nil wind ISA +20 at sea level.

Mabuiag is exactly 400m, but that doesn't stop the local operators putting Shrikes and Navajos in there. The Shrike that I used to fly - the p charts didn't go below 600m.

Torres
30th Oct 2003, 07:22
I thought Mabuiag is now around 440 meters? It was always around 415 meters, but I thought it had been extended to the west with land fill? Mabuiag can get interesting when the two wind socks point at each other!

A certain Cairns based Navajo regularly landed there. With passengers!

Many airstrips in PNG are under 400 meters - with high denity altitude. However, most had GATO* assistance to get airborne!

*GATO = Gravity Assisted Take Off - on stips up to 14% slope!!! :}

The days of the Bongo van are probably numbered in Australia, but they will always have a place in PNG aviation. We had 23 :mad: Islanders (give or take a few broken aircraft) in the Talair fleet twenty years ago.

Chimbu chuckles
30th Oct 2003, 10:51
Used to go in and out of all sorts of < 400m strips, fully loaded, in PNG in those 23 Bongos mentioned above.

Garasa. 380 odd/flat/rough/chockers:E

Remember the old girl will fly at 40kts...ya jus' gotta WANT to bad enough:p

I vaguely remember looking at P charts in PNG. Once for each endorsement....lessee Bn2, 402, 404, twotter, bandit.

5 TIMES in 7000hrs/20000+ odd sectors!!!

Remember the P charts are heavily factored and give distance to clear a 50' obstacle....never passed an upwind threshold over 3 feet meself..let alone the places like Satwag where you fell off the end:ok:

Always laughed at the 'P Charts' in the Talair Bn2 Ops manual...TOWs less than empty weight at a whole raft of steep, one way strips. :E

Suspect the manufacturers never dreamt of slopes up to 20%...as Torres says GATO.

Chuckles.

Torres what was the name of that strip way north of Kavieng where we used to go in the 402s? 600m, flat, chockers.

anakid
30th Oct 2003, 13:51
Pinky, I also had the BN2A up to 17000 feet coming back to Kiunga from Kobuckma (Irian Jaya) had to cross the range around midday...not a good time to do that.
Not many aircraft that will take off with one pair of main wheels so blocked up with earth that they sledged the whole take off.
Still enjoyed those 3 years and 1800 hrs.

Anakid

chimbu warrior
31st Oct 2003, 06:23
Chuckles...........might you be thinking of Eloaua?
We used to take 402's there and I cannot recall ever departing with an empty seat (or locker). Full-flap takeoffs were the only way.............

Chimbu chuckles
31st Oct 2003, 07:07
Dat's da ples:D

Particularly entertaining after rain when it got mighty slippery. Remember that lovely algae that grew on coastal strips? My technique there, in the 402, was to begin the takeoff roll with full power and 1st stage flap, with the nose wheel off and 'light' on the mains slap down the rest of the flap. The 402 pops into the air and after a very brief pause whip the gear up and accelerate towards all those speeds wot hav colours on:E

If an engine even farted you were in the water off the end.

Ahh the good old days:ugh: :}

Chuckles

chimbu warrior
31st Oct 2003, 07:15
Chuck, you should write the training manual..............that is exactly how to do it!

Torres
31st Oct 2003, 10:40
Chimbu and Chimbu. Have you ever wondered how mentally demented and vindictive an engineer must be to invent something like the Bongo Van? It certainly was the Pom's revenge on the Colonies! :}

Anakid, FL170 in a Bongo at midday, 6 degrees south of the Equator? You lucky lad - must have been a brand new 300HP and definately not made on a Friday before a long weekend! :}

Pinky the pilot
31st Oct 2003, 11:32
Oh I dunno Torres, The time I had Simbu's Bongo SAC (ex DZ DNV I think) up at 17,000 would have been around 1300LMT and it was only a 260hp.
Remember I was IMC and there's a fair bit of rising air inside a good Cu!
Chuckles; Have you got any idea on what the altitude record for Bongos in PNG was?:E

you're born. Once when

Chimbu chuckles
31st Oct 2003, 14:33
Hmm...my personal bests were;

C185 - 14
C206T - 24
BN2 - 16+
c402 - mmmm not saying ut it was way up there:E
DHC6 - 25
DHC7 - 23 Notice the inconsistency?

A mate claims to 18.5 in a BN but deliberately flew into a CB to do it:uhoh:

I accidently flew into a CB one night in a BE65 near Lake Trist at 14100 and got spat out over 20... :ugh: Not sure I'd do it deliberately:ouch:

Speaking of 402s and innappropriate uses...remember crawling into Gonali (little east of Jac Bay) in a Twotter in something less than VMC :E when I heard one of our other pilots inbound to Gasmata in a 402 "Anybody else stupid enough to be near Gasmata this is..." Ahh South Coast New Britain wet seasons...good character building stuff :uhoh:

Torres I think, having owned a Pommy car for some years now (but for about 2 more weeks:suspect: ) that the Bongo was actually a (comparitive) Pommy triumph. It did what it was (not) designed to do really well...mated with a similar undercarriage to a Partenavia it would have been a really good aircraft...a really loud aircraft, my hearing on the left side is permenently damaged despite wearing DCs every minute I flew one,...But you know that ;)

Chuckles.

chimbu warrior
1st Nov 2003, 06:12
Hey Chuckles I seem to remember that one of the questions on the DHC6 tech exam was "why can the DHC6 not fly above 25,000 feet?"
Answer was because we had lead-acid batteries (on the GV -200's at least, 300's came after my time), but I always wondered if some silly bastard would climb up there to prove/disprove the theory...........................I guess now you know

olderairhead
1st Nov 2003, 08:40
The good ol' BNf@#ing2 and the 225 daily.

2 engines
2 wings
5 tyres
light the fires 'n' go

and then lift 21 bums outa the 'karbum' valley with a pocket load of Kina for Dennis. :}

or was that 42 outa menyamya in the twotter :8

or maybe 15 in the 206 from pindiu :E

or am I getting confused with 15 at the derro, 21 at the yachtie.....

Ah......if only I could remember :ugh:

Chimbu chuckles
1st Nov 2003, 14:20
chimbu warrior...yeah I did the same GV twotter written and it's a load of bollocks. We replaced the nicads with lead acids in the Falcon in Singapore...and we cruised at 410 all the time. Just trying to remember whether the batteries were inside the pressure hull or not :confused:

The GV Bandits, don't remember about the Twotter 300s, had nicads and Spot was adamant that if you had a thermal runaway throw the aircraft into the nearest kunai clearing or she'd blow up like a bomb:uhoh:

Don't remember anything like that in any of the post Spot/GV nicad equiped aircraft I flew...be a bit inconveniant in a 747 mid pacific. Still lots more dramatic than simply isolating the battery before it gets that hot :ok:

Older...now that's a different set of records....most POB.

Bn2 17, DHC6 42...remember someone having 11 in a Baron so he wouldn't miss an afternoons diving in Rabaul, his diving buddy had 17 in the 402.:E

A certain well known GV Ops manager was NOT impressed...guess because it wasn't an overload that he orchestrated so it wasn't ok:ugh:

Chuckles.

anakid
1st Nov 2003, 14:28
Torres, no it was a clapped out old 260 Islander, thats the only ones Biscuit Ears had in the early 70's.
Only had two POB and a few bits and pieces that mining surveyors like to carry around with them.
Cant recall ever seeing any pilot notes for the BN2A or for that matter any take off and landing charts. That is not to say there arent any notes floating around.

Anakid

Friction Nut
1st Nov 2003, 17:27
Thanks anakid.. Does it even have any P-Charts? It seems like a pretty invincible machine.

Since posting this thread it has certianly taken an interesting curve type path... very interesting and educational. Thanks to those who have posted.

Please keep the stories coming, they are all very amusing.

chimbu warrior
2nd Nov 2003, 15:06
Chuckles.....that sounds like a typical Spot solution to a thermal runaway.......................trash the aircraft instead of leaning back and removing the cover from the battery compartment (just in front of row 1 RHS) and unscrewing the quick-disconnect from the ni-cad. I sat and thought about the problem when I first went on the EMB-110, and as long as your arms were not too short you could easily reach the battery cover.

Just like Spot to try and make a big deal out of nothing. I flew through a Cu in a 402 one day and as we came out the other side we got an engine fire warning. Spot was in the RHS and I thought I might need a tranquiliser gun to calm him down. I took a good look at the engine, as well as T's & P's and all looked well, so I kept going (we didn't have extinguishers on the engines anyway). We were at 11,500 over the Purari, above cloud, so I preferred to take my chances on getting to Kerema rather than battling the Purari puk-puks. I swear that Spot smoked about 2 packets of cigarettes in 30 minutes. He is, and always has been, a drama queen..................

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Nov 2003, 19:43
:ok: ROFLMAO:} Ya gotta figure on that tight cowl there'd be a bit of paint blistering if there was any fire...mind you remember where the crossfeeds were...and how they couldn't be isolated:uhoh: I flew P2-ASI for RT for a while after uncle Dennis shut down GV...same thing fire warning but no fire suppression..always figured ya just suffered longer!!

Particularly like the way he verbally abused all trainees in a 'patter' fashion...like he learned it at Instructor school. Small power changes on final approach always earned(in that nasally voice) "Stop masterbating those throttles!!"

Or "You'd have to be one of the roughest pilots I've ever had to fly with...I'm going to make you my special project, to turn you into a smooth IFR professional!!"

Of course 30 hrs ICUS later...with no noticeable change in how you physically flew you were a smooth IFR pro...thank god for great teachers:E

I will NEVER forget when a Twotter pilot was dragged out of Tabubil (yes dragged) to go on the bandit. Captain Casual we called him and a top bush operator he was...if a little impatient with Spot. One day I was enroute somewhere and all of a sudden over the airways we hear the dulset tones of our fearless mentor "NO, NO, NO...F**KING ENGINE FIRE...SILENCE THE BELL..LOOK OUT THE F**KING WINDOW!!!"

Seems spot confused intercom with transmit while coaching poor Casual...when they landed at Girua John told spot to shove the aircraft up his ar$e and went and sat in the back...Spot got tea and bikkies with Bones and ever after, on a check, he'd ask "Now shags...I'm not that bad am I?

If you read this mate...no you weren't:}

Older...ya forgot THE most important part of the Bongo daily...checking for ripples in the skin between engine and fuse...so you could prove they were there BEFORE you flew it!!!:ok:

Friction Nut...yes an easy aeroplane to load 'safely' and fly. She'll teach you all about fwd and aft CofG when you occasionally miss trim and she'll either be even more stable than usual or quite 'loose' in pitch.

But if you stall that slab wing she'll bite...with a load, hard. Last time I whistled past the 20 Mile Gap in a F28 you could still see the wreckage of the Islander in which Pete Caisley and Kim Eather died....circling around looking far a B25 wreck at 12000'+ with 800kgs of coffee in the back.

Having said that it's a real shame that opportunities are so few these days for young blokes to go to PNG and learn their craft...not to be sexist but there was never many expat girls flying up there...maybe less than 6 over the last 40 odd years.

Chuckles ;)

Pinky the pilot
6th Nov 2003, 09:32
17 pob in a Bongo Chuckles? I managed 19 once out of Tapini. They were all schoolkids, mainly females and the one I had sittting next to me was a lovely young Lady!!:ok:
(I should be ashamed of myself.........but I'm not!)

you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face

big pistons forever
6th Nov 2003, 09:55
I have a couple of hundred hours in the Islander flying newspapers late ( very late ) at night, back when I wa young and foolish. I remember it as a very honest no nonsense airplane. I have two memories of the machine.

1. It made carb ice faster than anything I have ever flown. I can recall several nights where it would not climb with enough carb heat to keep running. The drill was to climb with cold air untill the engines started to die, stagger in level flight with full carb heat and then repeat. It once took 4 cycles to climb 4000 feet.

2. One night ATC asked me for my TAS. 130 kts like every other Islander I replied. About 5 min later he repeated the question, so I said in my best 747 capt voice " Mach 0.15 " . Oh, he replied, let me guess thats about 130 knots !

troppo
6th Nov 2003, 13:50
chuck...that P2-ASI ended up at the bottom of the pacific on a ferry flight a couple of years ago...

404 Titan
6th Nov 2003, 14:18
troppo

If anyone should know it should be Chuck as he did the ferry if I’m right. I don’t think he had to ditch it but he had to shut an engine down. Chuck fill us in the details. Every time I flew that thing something use to break. I still enjoyed it though. If only Ray’s other Aerostar had engines. Now that would have been real nice.
:)

troppo
6th Nov 2003, 14:26
well there ya go!...actually read about it somewhere but only remembered this balus as it sat at the wewak/kiunga hangar at nadzab for a while in 98 while some work was done on it...

Chimbu chuckles
6th Nov 2003, 15:47
Sorry 404 I didn't ferry it to the States for RT...hadn't heard it didn't get there either, I presume the poor fella survived?

On my list of preferred aircraft types to ditch in an Aerostar is way down the list...behind numerous seaplanes and flying boats.

Yes about 80% of the time I flew ASI something broke also.

PHC was just as big a piece of ****e. I did several maintenance test flights on her in Cairns in late 99. On one fuel flow fluctuations were pretty severe so I returned...the fuel leak was so bad that raw fuel was still dripping from the cowl as I shut down :ugh:

I strongly suspect I used up a life that day:ouch:

Chuckles.

troppo
6th Nov 2003, 16:00
yeah he survived...well known kiwi ferry pilot...