PDA

View Full Version : Dried up nostrils

The Hedge
15th Oct 2003, 14:53
Has anyone got a remedy for the above.

I fly in a very dry environment and have the most horrible dried up nostrils which is quite annoying.

Any advice much appreciated

Bad medicine
15th Oct 2003, 15:12
There are a couple of dilute saline nasal sprays which will give relief from the problems you are describing. They are over the counter, contain no medication as-such, and have no other side-effects. Narium is the brand I know of, but I think there are others.

Hope this helps,

BM

The Hedge
15th Oct 2003, 17:46
Anything with a more prolonged moisturising effect?

cpt744
16th Oct 2003, 08:14
You may wanna try stuffing your nostrils with vaseline, that should mosturise them for quite a while. I followed my Doc's advice and seemed to have no more problems since then. The whole idea is to make sure that the internal tissue does not get dried up to begin with.

zerozero
18th Oct 2003, 03:59
I also live in a very dry environment and have the same problem. I use a combination of saline spray *and* KY Jelly.

I don't know what they call it where you're from but I suppose it's generically known as a "personal lubricant".

A dab up the nose isn't exactly what it was designed for but it does keep the mucus membrane moist.

Time Out
19th Oct 2003, 00:02
I'm no expert but read that the water based ones (like K-Y) dry up quicker than silicone based ones. Might be worth asking a chemist.

The Hedge
19th Oct 2003, 01:14
I tried using vaseline, but after a few days my nose started to feel inflammed.

Thanks for the replies so far

Flyin'Dutch'
19th Oct 2003, 04:13
Hi TH,

May be worth to consult your doc and ask him/her to have a look up your nose.

Some people have a nasal infection which gives these symptoms and they can be remedied by treating the infection.

Are you drinking enough? Dry mucosal membranes (nose, mouth) can be a sign of being too dry.

Most remedies applying more water etc to the nose just perpetuate the problem although I will bow to peoples experiences to the contrary.

HTH

FD