View Full Version : Can having experience be put against you?

nikki_b
15th Oct 2003, 13:40
Hey guys.... I would kindly like some input or advice, would be much appricated. I have being currently working for a private charter company for the past 11 months and am acting as a senior flight attendant at 21. I also train new f/a. I have experience on a few types of aircraft and privatejets.

I have being applying for a year to all airlines as well as staff.cv and havent being invited to an interview yet!! (accept dj). Even though I have experience and am high up in my work place chain, my application doesnt seem to be successful! I was more successful when I wasnt a f/a. Do airlines not want to hire people with experience these days? Maybe they think that they cant adapt to there new way? It really does confuse me!!! Any advice??:ugh: As I love my job, but would love to work for a big airline.

flyblue
15th Oct 2003, 15:24
nikki,

in the past I have heard about airlines who didn't want to be bothered with people who already had some kind of experience, for reasons only clear to themselves. Sometimes the Chiefs CC/Instructors don't want to risk having people around who might aspire to their job. But it tended to be small outfits. For what I can personally tell, the Big Ones always cared a lot about previous experience. In recruitment periods they want to avoid having lots of juniors storming the galleys at a time. At least that was the case when I joined AF; at the same time I was going through the selection process with BA and at the first interview (over the phone) they were delighted about my past experience (but I didn't go until the end of the process because I decided to accept AF). Same was for a friend of mine who joined Alitalia. HE was hired after 1 interview and put on a 10 days course because they were desperate for people with a previous experience.

missleadfoot
15th Oct 2003, 17:30
Experience counts for a lot and airlines know that. From my experience airlines change their recruitment processes often and therefore look for different qualities each time they recruit. As an experienced Cabin Crew member it is VITAL you show to the panel you are flexible and not "set in the ways" of your previous airline. Show that you are adaptable to change and are willing to do things "their" way. Another hint is to not mention your previous airline a lot. Promote your "flying experience" but not the company you worked for.

Also, another trap that ex flyers fall into when applying for another airline is the feeling that experience means an easy way in for a senior position. It's like "hey I've flown all these years I should be able to get a senior position". Doesn't work that way. Most promotions are based on merit these days so in the interview don't push yourself too far, you can do that later. I have met a lot of people who bummed out and after talking to them they were promoting themselves as Purser material almost immediately. They interviewers dont want to hear that. You are applying for Flight Attendant so base your interview around that.

Good luck.

homesick rae
15th Oct 2003, 21:58
I think it depends on the airline really, as mentioned above. When I was between jobs, I was turned down by several companies because I was "over qualified!" When I was eventually recruited BECAUSE OF my experience by a Mid East carrier, I went in at the bottom, but soon made a fairly quick progression back up the ranks to CSD.

Fairly recently I was invited for an interview in the UK...flight paid etc...was shortlisted and told by the interviewer that as far as experience was concerned, I had more than anyone else! I didn't get the job!

Personally, having been in the industry for 20 years, I was looking for senior positions...training, management etc. Corporate flying was really the only flying option.

Thankfully now, patience and experience has paid off and I have just been offered my "dream job."

It is annoying, I know, but like Flyblue said, many Managers are reluctant to have too many experienced people around.

Persevere Nikki, you WILL succeed.

tilly666
16th Oct 2003, 02:41
Personally, I have never had a problem getting a job with my experience, and in my past few airlines have gained mostly direct entry senior positions. However after seasonal/agency work and airlines going under I joined a carrier who offered a full time permanenr contract. Now I am experiencing problems, all to do with my experience.

I joined knowing that I would have to work my way back up to Purser, however I have not even been given the chance but it turns out that I have more experience than most other Seniors and most of the Trainers!

I totally agree with what flyblue says, that big carriers usually appreciate flying experience more, and certainly thats what I have found. Although my advice to fliers out there looking for another CC job is to look towards the adhoc charter companys eg Atlanta, Scandic, EAC and others similar and they will snap you up, sometimes offering senior positions. The same often applies to new start ups. Agency work also works similar and it can be very financially rewarding! :D

And nikki you will succeed and you have done well to hold a senior position at 21 years old. My god when I started flying all the seniors were over 40 and thought of as big old dragons, who the juniors were terrified of - but that is a different story! :eek:

nikki_b
16th Oct 2003, 18:28
Thany you everyone for you honest opinions and advice. I will turn this in to a positive. :D