PDA

View Full Version : Flightcell Mobile Phone Interface

dzeroplus
15th Oct 2003, 08:37
I am considering purchasing a Flightcell Mobile Phone Interface to allow the use of my mobile phone and MP3 player whilst in flight.

Funnily enough, the salesman highly recommends the product, does anybody own or have used one and what do you think?

Thanks

Ascend Charlie
15th Oct 2003, 09:11
Fair enough to want a mobile phone available in flight - I've had one for 10 years now - but forget about listening to music while in orbit.

It is too much of a distraction. Takes valuable brain cells away from their nominated duties. Got few enough left as it is.

It is amazing how many cockpit voice recorders had people whistling or humming tunes just before a disaster. Thumb in bumb, eyeballs toppled, brain caged, mind in neutral.:ooh:

RDRickster
15th Oct 2003, 09:16
If you mean the SafetyCell Helicopter Headset - Cell Phone Adapter (http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/1769), I can tell you that this product works pretty well. I don't know what CASA says about inflight mobile phone use, but the FAA won't allow it (actually it's an FCC restriction). Nevertheless, you can use it from the cockpit (on the ground) to close flight plans, call your destination AWOS for update, or whatever. Since we fly low and slow, you could probably use it for emergency backup communication (maybe - but that is a stretch).

Anyway, it plugs into the aircraft and than amplified. You plug your headset into the little black box. I use the Bose Aviation-X (http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=1Mcpp7LXh2Oc11p5H1iQ5xVjejTa5riYphwdYA 9zzVnhNIj51OLV!1381199879!-1002616916?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=headsetx_headset_index&pageName=/home_entertainment/headphones_headsets/index.jsp) headset without much problem. However, you'll need to keep the intercom button pushed during the entire call or turn on the aircraft hotmic system.

One thing I don't like is all the wires. It has a potential to be a safety issue if it fell down from above (wires binding up collective area). To address that issue, I went to a hobby shop and bought a small patch (5 x 7) of rubber mat (it was more flexible plastic than rubber). I mounted the SafetyCell box to the left, my headset controller to the right of that, and a holder for my cell phone to the right of that. Then, I bundled up and secured all the loose cable. Then, I cut a small hole cut in the top of the mat and put velcro on the back of it.

Now, I have one "unit" of equipment instead of multiple items to plug into and no extra lengths of cable. I just take my mat (Safety Cell, Headset Controller, & Cell Phone) and hang it on the headset pole. Then, I press the mat back into the firewall to keep it from sliding around (sticks to wall via velcro). I've been thinking about putting all this together in a more presentable package for purchase, but I'm not sure there would be that much of a demand for it.

paco
15th Oct 2003, 20:16
I use the cellset from Kennedy Technology, which is excellent. It uses PP9s rather than being rechargeable like the flightcell, but since I am often not near a power source, I find this rather a benefit, espeially as the oil companies use PP9s ;)

Phil

Woss goin on..?
16th Oct 2003, 05:15
Yes got one but haven't test driven it yet....will give it a go tomorrow and let you know

helimatt
16th Oct 2003, 10:25
A couple of guys over here have been using the flightcells for a while now, and dont seem to have had any problems with them:ok:

RobboRider
17th Oct 2003, 14:34
I wonder if people are talking about two different systems here?
The Safetycell from Kennedy mentioned by someone I haven't come across but I have a Flightcell made by a New Zealand Company. Bought one a couple of years ago.
It is so bad I don't use it. I have only used it a few times so I haven't persisted but as with most closed box technology things now if it doesn't work when you plug it in there isn't much you fiddle with to try to get it to work. I had problems right from the start.

Firstly it didn't transmit and gave feedback when I used the intercom. After getting a friendly rad-tech to look, scratch head etc and numerous emails to the manufactere we worked out I had to reverse the polarity of the mike line in the socket above my head.
It then worked but not well.
The mobile phone side has a lot of echo in the phone of the person I'm talking to. I can hear them quite well but not the reverse.

When I plug in the Freecell it drops the volume of the aircraft VHF radio. When I turn it up it distorts the CD player audio. No amount of adjusting allows a happy medium.

After about ten minutes of use it then distorts the VHF radio so that I can't undersatnd the ATC etc.

So I haven't used it much. Other people tell me they work fine.

I have reverted to a much simpler method which involves.

CD Player - get earbud type headphones and stick them in ears. Aircraft head set over the top. play music in CD player direct into ears. Flew a recent trip for 3000 miles with that method and worked well. Turn up VHF so that when calls come you can still hear them and turn off the CD when in places where ATC radio work is frequent. Great for the outback of OZ but I guess not good if you only fly in places where radio work is happening all the time.

Mobile phone - (A friend told me this works but haven't tried it) Get hands free earphone with mike in it. (small type) Put plug in ear and stuff the mike part up inside headset earphone. When you make a call speak over the intercom. Your voice is retransmitted into your own earphones so is picked up by the mike of the phone hands free.

If you want a Freecell I've got a barely used one here you can buy! :bored:

peg20
17th Oct 2003, 18:06
In the UK...

Mobile phones are not allowed in flight under AIC 62/1999 (Pink 196).

Using the phone in an aircraft is also a breach of the telephone user's licence.

But probably the one thing you might actually care about is that the mobile's signal will be receivable by more widely-spread cells than under normal operations. Some of the networks interpret this reception in cells that are wide apart as a separate phone that has a copied serial number. As a result, they will blacklist your phone.

Not to mention the research on how distracting having a conversation on a mobile phone is... :rolleyes:

crop duster
18th Oct 2003, 02:31
The Safety Cell is a different product than Kennedy. Both work very well. The Safety Cell is several dollars less.

For Safety Cell try:
www.pilotsupport.com

For Kennedy Technolgy:
www.cellset.com

As for playing music while flying, it's the only way to go. I have a AM/FM tape player in my Thrush along with company radio and cell phone. The music mutes when I get a call. To fly all day without some entertainment would make for a long day. I first installed tunes in 1991 and have had several units since then. I've had the best luck from Pioneer systems. Doesn't take their best unit, one from the local Wal Mart store ($170) works fine.

As for the music being a distraction, we use Satloc gps to guide us on every swath across the field which is comparable to flying LOC approaches all day long. Makes the day much shorter and more enjoyable.

Barryb

RDRickster
18th Oct 2003, 02:44
In my previous post, I was referring to this device...

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/pics/products/1769.jpg

Concerning the wireless headset to cell phone option, I don't think it would be practical or reliable. I use a wireless Bluetooth cellphone headset that communicates with my cell, but that earpiece won't fit comfortably under my helicopter headset. Besides, I usually turn my phone OFF before I begin to taxi. There was another post in a different thread that mentioned Eurocopter had a white paper on GSM phone interfering with radio's/instruments? Better to have the phone OFF and focus on flying until you are on the ground. The cell phone connection to your helicopter headset is a matter of convenience (i.e. closing your flight plan while cooling down the aircraft - which IS legal).

dzeroplus
18th Oct 2003, 21:02
To help avoid the apparent confusion between products, I have been recommended the following product:

http://www.globalav.com.au/productInfo.asp?productInfoID=1

I agree with CropDuster in regard to having some form of entertainment, it does not distract my attention and if anything assists with my concentration levels when carrying out repetitive work.

A new thread could be started on the merits of music, I know of a couple of pilots who swear against it, whilst flying.

In my opinion, no different to dealing with ATC and having a separate company radio or dual VHF's.

Australian regs demand some form of noise cancellation from external music devices when receiving or transmitting on a radio.

Bellthorpe
22nd Oct 2003, 18:43
I have a FlightCell unit, and it works fine.

There is no CASA regulation prohibiting its use.

I leave the mobile phone in my shirt pocket, and the cables just drape over my shoulder without interfering with anything. No problem at all to take it out and answer a call, or to dial one.

I also have AM/FM radio, but even on long ferry flights don't use it. When its turned on, I always feel somewhat distracted.

zalt
25th Oct 2003, 04:03
CASA regs on the way:
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7262983%255E1702,00.html

However if that doesn't put you off see this Irish fatal accident (report issued today):
http://aaiu.ie/upload/general/4160-0.pdf

In Ireland mobile phone use is offence when airborne. One of the two recommendations are that IAA emphasise that mobile flights are also a distraction. The prospective passenger phoned the pilot to find out why he was late. While 15 mins before the CFIT, you do wonder how that influenced his final decisions.

RDRickster
25th Oct 2003, 11:34
I agree that flying with an active cell phone is a distraction looking for a disaster; however, the report listed no less than nine witnesses that specified varying levels of extreme fog. According to the times in the report, it looks like the phone call to the pilot occured just AFTER impact. I think this is a better description of "gotta-get-there-itis" and scud running.

zalt
25th Oct 2003, 20:12
RDRickster - see page 8 of the report.

There was one call at 17.32 by the waiting passenger (who had expected the aircraft at 17.00) to the pilot. They were given the number by the 'secretary of the private operator'. The pilot was then on the ramp, 6 mins before departure.

However one call was placed at 17.51. The pilot, was airborne and stated he was 10 mins away from his destination. Impact was 18.06.

The call placed at 18.26 was not answered.

The AAIU recommendation was to highlight that mobile phone use 'may act as a distraction to pilots'.

Aesir
25th Oct 2003, 20:17
I have used the "Safety cell" from Elite solutions inc for about 2 years now and I think its an excellent product.

I have used it while flying in lousy weather to call homebase or various locations to inquire about the weather and have therefore been able to continue flying in the best available weather conditions available because I had the option to call and get direct feedback on the actual weather.

As we helicopter pilots know, we do not fly so much between airports, rather between areas in almost middle of nowhere where you need to get information from the locals rather than the met bureau or ATC, which have no idea about the local wx conditions.

I say that a moblie phone and preferably a satellite phone interfaced to a helicopter intercom is a very important safety device in a working helicopter.

I do not agree with some here that feel that its a distraction to flying, its no more distraction than talking to ATC in my opinion. Expecially if the equipment is user friendly and works well like the "Safety cell" does for me.

slider2
28th Nov 2003, 09:37
Flightcell has an improved model out that allows for the reverse wiring in the R22 and R44 mic circuit. it works very well. they are apparently also releasing an update next year that improves the RF immunity with GSM phones.
I also read in the Paper that they had just confirmed a contract with the USAF for 1000 units.
We are very happy with the ones we have. Tom Cruise used one when he was here filming and was so impressed he ordered some on his return to the US.:O