PDA

View Full Version : More routes for Air Wales ?

SEAMASTER
15th Oct 2003, 07:09
Any of you guys out there know what routes, if any, Air wales intend to take on after their recent web announcement that they will be terminating their Belfast city service as of the 24th of this month.
Only asking for I believe that their fleet is now upto four aircraft, strange that they are shedding routes but increasing capacity !

glynn-kayes
15th Oct 2003, 11:59
apparently, a belfast international to brussels is on the cards for 6g fully backed by tbi plc so maybe hence the the pull out from belfast city

ALLMCC
15th Oct 2003, 17:18
On an ATR42 via DUB CWL and god knows where else! Should be an interesting (and uncomfortably long tiring and probably expensive) journey! Oh, and very likely extremely late.

Eira
15th Oct 2003, 17:45
I believe Cardiff-Brussels is starting at the end of this month although I haven't seen any advertising for it.
Also rumour mill has it that the Welsh assembly is funding a round Robin of Wales
IE: Cardiff, Swansea , Valley, Harwarden.

Plus there is talk of charters, such as one offs as rugby and football charters.

All Rumours though, have also heard rumour of a Swansea- Paris flight, but really cannot see that one going ahead although I hope they prove me wrong :ok:

MerchantVenturer
15th Oct 2003, 19:14
There is another post that suggests that Ryanair might be talking to CWL management about more flights from there.

If this includes extra rotations on the CWL-DUB that would impact adversely on Air Wales. Air Wales operates out of the restricted PLH to Cork and Dublin. Any thoughts of increasing routes from there might be scuppered if the new Air SouthWest decides to build up PLH a bit. I believe bmibaby is about to start a CWL-ORK route which will not help Air Wales.

So, they may find competition growing quicker than they had hoped.

That is the negative side. There is a positive.

Brussels is not served from Wales, unless FR nips in to their Brussels South. CWL has no service to NCL, MAN, ABZ, LPL or LBA. It may be that a ATR 42 is the right size for at least one of these routes - CWL-NCL?

In the past Welsh airlines traditionally worked out of BRS as well as CWL: Cambrian, Airways Cymru and Inter European Airways. Air Wales has not apparently tried to do this, and now there are no routes left out of Lulsgate that might conceivably be filled by 6G unless it tried a CWL-BRS-ABZ, that is if the rumoured Eastern ABZ-BRS does not start first.

The pan-Wales thing has been talked about for many a year and might be worth a go with public funding, but whether such a route would ever stand on its own feet is anyone's guess.

I hope that Air Wales does progress but it is in a cut throat business. I have no idea how the LCY service is making out. I would love to think it is a success because an alternative to road and rail from South Wales to London has been asked for by business people for many years.

jetstream7
17th Oct 2003, 20:40
Well SEAMASTER, here's the answer.... from our friends @ The Western Mail

Amsterdam link takes airport international Oct 17 2003

ANOTHER air link was announced yesterday with the start of international scheduled flights to Amsterdam.

Air Wales, which already operates regular flights from Swansea Airport to London, Dublin, Cork and Jersey, is establishing a three-days-a- week return link to Holland.

Fares from Swansea to Amsterdam will cost from £49 one way plus taxes.

Weekend packages, including return flights, taxes and three-star accommodation, will start from £229. The flights will begin at the end of November.

Air Wales will be operating one of its 48-seat aircraft on the route with flight times for the direct service expected to be one and a half hours.

A spokesman for Air Wales said, "The new route is an important addition to Air Wales' services out of Swansea but could also give city businesses and tourism a significant boost from additional visitors using the new Air Wales route to fly into Swansea from the rest of Europe."

Air Wales chairman Roy Thomas said, "This new link is fantastic news for Swansea.

"It's the first time the city has had a direct link with Amsterdam and proves Air Wales is delivering on its promise of developing routes which result in more people holidaying and doing business in South West Wales.

"For people in Swansea, besides offering flights to what is a very attractive holiday destination itself, the route opens up further international links as Amsterdam is a massive hub to travel all over the world."

In April the airline launched its new service to London. Its 50-seater aircraft will leave Swansea and Cardiff bound for London City Airport.

The four-times-a-day Air Wales flights get travellers from Swansea to London in 80 minutes with a 55-minute flight time from Cardiff.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/content_objectid=13523829_method=full_siteid=50082_headline=-Amsterdam%2Dlink%2Dtakes%2Dairport%2Dinternational-name_page.html

SEAMASTER
18th Oct 2003, 05:18
Well thanks you guys for all your time and efforts in responding to my post, if any other news on the subject develops i'll always be interested to know !!

Yak97
31st Oct 2003, 18:14
I noted on the BAA GLA website that there are flights shown from NCL & PLH (plus somewhere else) with a 6G flight number 800/801. I believe that the aircraft starts in GLA in the morning, routing GLA-NCL-XXX-PLH, starting 01 dec.

No info on Air Wales website.

nef
31st Oct 2003, 19:01
Yes, it looks like GLA-NCL-CWL-PLH, starting on 01/12

Bit of a long flight to get to PLH, but then I suppose it's quicker than the train!:D

MerchantVenturer
31st Oct 2003, 20:21
I suggested earlier that Air Wales might serve Newcastle from Cardiff. Did not expect the route to commence in Glasgow though.

Air Wales is to be commended for trying to fill the boots of BACx that used to fly from GLA to PLH via BRS, albeit it meant a change of aircraft at BRS, as the ERJ 145 cannot get into PLH. The morning PLH-BRS and evening BRS-PLH sectors used to be flown by a DH 8 but the route now terminates at BRS following the withdrawal of the DH 8s.

It will be interesting to see how many fly the GLA-CWL sectors via NCL, given that bmibaby operates Prestwick-Cardiff.

Full marks to Air Wales for trying. I still think a ABZ-BRS-CWL route would also be worth a go as the rumoured Eastern ABZ-BRS seems to have disappeared down the tubes.

Take up the Hold
31st Oct 2003, 22:27
According to the BAA timetable the aircraft arrives in Glasgow at 1050 from Plymouth, Cardiff and Newcastle, then departs again at 1610 for the same places. Not very good utilisation or are they going to do something else.
What about LCY now that BA have given it up.

TUTH

Hulk Hogan
1st Nov 2003, 00:58
Can't see anything on the website, this is Air Wales major problem they say they are starting a route and don't tell anyone about it. They should be selling tickets now for when it starts not waiting till the day it starts and then sell tickets, this is why Belfast failed because it's not advertised, not reasearched or marketed and was always 2 hours late going via DUB.

What is the turnaround times at Amsterdam? Would not be suprised if was 15 minutes! I hope that they realise that they will need at least an hour to turnaround at Amsterdam.

Anyway good luck 6G at least your trying but do try and think about your routes and reaserch them and let people know you are doing them.