PDA

View Full Version : ALMs to change trades after 2 tours?

LunchMonitor
14th Oct 2003, 23:46
If what I heard today is true, (this is a rumour network after all), then the days of Alms spending 10 years at one base as they have been are numbered. After a couple of tours they will change not just squadrons but aircraft types, not just K - J, or Lyneham to Brize(or scarier still J back to K), or from one rotary type to another, but following a quick conversion course (distance learning based?) to the back end of a Nimrod or perhaps the flight engineers seat somewhere.

Hows that for a rumour?
Anybody confirm or deny it?

Indicating Full
15th Oct 2003, 01:58
Without wanting to appear sarcastic - Have you been in a coma for the last 8 months?

TAC Queen
15th Oct 2003, 03:00
Just heard a rumour
Apparently they are going to disband the Royal Flying Core
and replace it with The Royal Air Force
Has any one else heard this?????

All spelling mistakes are because I cant spell.
:O :O :O :O :ouch:

LunchMonitor
15th Oct 2003, 03:43
Not in a coma, detached, but not comatose, however the reasoning behind my surprise is that I was under the impression, from briefings earlier this year that currently serving ALMs would not be shifted to Kinloss or the empty engineers seats, at least not for some years. Obviously misinformed or disinformed.

As you seem to be far better aquainted with the facts than I, When are the first guys expected to switch across from Lyneham then?

dc8loadie
15th Oct 2003, 03:51
Tea's made the same no matter which aircraft type they are on !!!!!!!!!!:ok:

Indicating Full
15th Oct 2003, 03:55
LM

Post April 05 any NCA who have done the new WSOp course at CWL will, after being streamed, "supposedly" have the option to move between roles. Many will see this as just a way of sending the unwilling to Kinloss. Will those who have not done the new course be able to re-role without doing the WSOp common phase? - who knows. The new career structure offers people opportunities to diversify but will the RAF want to pay for the training of all those who want to re-role - probably not. PMA may want people to move around within their specialization but as for being forced to move to Kinloss - I think you are safe.

TURNBULL
15th Oct 2003, 16:37
DC8loadie has obviously never done a tour on rotary - look forward to you arriving on the real frontline!

dc8loadie
15th Oct 2003, 17:59
Surely on rotary the only difference is that the teas shaken and not stirred !!!!!!!:confused:

rivetjoint
15th Oct 2003, 18:38
And always served in a muddy green mug?

Blakey875
17th Oct 2003, 00:50
Munch Lonitor

At the back end of the Nimrod is the galley. Some 20 plus years ago they put Loadies onto Nimrods to do the catering but the AEOps displayed better culinery skills and could also perform their primary jobs so the caterers were sent back South.

blackbelt
18th Oct 2003, 05:28
Nightmare,
why?
Can`t recruit AEOps,
Scary times ahead!