PDA

View Full Version : Luton for a larger Crown?

Buster the Bear
14th Oct 2003, 23:16
14 October 2003

Monarch schedules Luton for more attention

Monarch Airlines is to increase significantly its scheduled flights from Luton Airport, its home base, following the success of similar programmes out of Manchester and Gatwick.
Monarch Scheduled launched from Luton in 1986. However, the Luton scheduled programme has seen summer growth of just 20% over the last four years, compared with 700% at Manchester since its launch in 2000. Meanwhile the six-month-old Gatwick scheduled programme is already three-quarters the size of the Luton’s.
Jonathan Crick, the airline’s commercial director, commented: ‘The late nineties saw no-frills operators expanding aggressively at both Stansted and Luton; Monarch Scheduled therefore felt that better opportunities lay elsewhere. However, we have always held a strong position on the routes we feature from Luton, which have seen demand rising steadily.
‘Whilst we will continue to develop our Gatwick and Manchester programmes, we believe we should now be developing Luton in parallel with the rest of the network. The consumer wants choice and, as a truly low-cost with-frills carrier, we are in a unique position to provide real choice in the market.’
Monarch Scheduled currently operates from Luton to Alicante, Faro, Gibraltar, Malaga, Menorca and Tenerife.

Buster the Bear
15th Oct 2003, 04:53
A good response since the London charter market is is considerably down (Proved by figures released this week by BAA and TBI) and Monarch are (Thankfully) not tied into one of the big holiday tour operators?

So where too now?

LGS6753
16th Oct 2003, 03:21
Monarch have for many years operated regular charter flights, used by numerous tour operators to ACE and FUE. Due to the year-round nature of these destinations, their distance from UK, lack of competition, and type of market (villa/timeshare owners), I reckon these two must be near the top of the list.

For similar reasons, I would muse about LCA, Paphos, CFU, HER, & RHO but these are less year-round and more hotel destinations than villa/timeshare.

Alternatively, increased services to existing destinations. Both FAO and TFS could take a higher frequency - in competition with EZY and BMI (ex LHR) respectively.

Whatever they do, they'll do well.

TartinTon
16th Oct 2003, 04:23
Hahahahaha!! Now THAT's funny :D :D :D You really think that Monarch have anything to fear from an "airline" that can't keep to any deadline that they set for sales to commence and then announce that they are going to start flying during one of the quietest parts of the year (Christmas/New Year excepted)? They clearly have trouble convincing anyone to part with their money otherwise they would have been flying in May or whenever it was they first said they would be.

Their business plan/pricing/management have one thing in common...no credibility.

I sincerely doubt that Monarch give a stuff what they do.

I await with interest what routes they actually start flying.......

Buster the Bear
17th Oct 2003, 03:41
The UK’s leading non-tour op affiliated charter airline Monarch carried 3.8m charter passenger in 2002, with another 800K on its scheduled services.

I would bet those two sets of passenger stats figures have narrowed this year with enhancement from Gatwick and Manchester.

Buster the Bear
20th Oct 2003, 22:35
Monarch scheduled services passenger numbers at Gatwick are 75% of those flown from Luton (Gatwick was only launched this year!), but next year this will change.

Reliable sources reckon an additional 2 airframes to be Luton based!

Powerjet1
27th Dec 2003, 23:06
Anyone know which quarter of 2004 we might see some expansion of the above rumoured services at Luton and to where ?. Would assume probably the second quarter to tie in with summer schedules from May/June although bookings for Summer 2004 to existing destinations have been available for many weeks on the web.

Buster the Bear
17th Jan 2004, 06:21
From Monarch scheduled web site:

We are also pleased to announce increased frequencies on flights from Gatwick to Alicante and Malaga from 1st May 2004. See our online timetable for new days and times.

What, no extra Luton!?

Buster the Bear
11th Feb 2004, 22:53
10-Feb-2004
Monarch Scheduled goes double daily to Spain from Gatwick

From 1 May 2004, low cost carrier Monarch Scheduled is to double the frequency of flights from London Gatwick to Alicante and Malaga, to offer two flights a day. This represents an increase of over 71 per cent in its programme from Gatwick since last year. The airline will continue to operate its daily Faro flight from the airport.

This increase in frequency is in response to the high demand for its flights since the carrier launched its new services from Gatwick last summer and meets the demands of customers seeking a choice of flight timings on every day in the week.

Jonathan Crick, commercial director commented: “Monarch Scheduled’s approach of offering low cost fares with all the in-flight ‘frills’ has proved extremely popular at Gatwick and demand has exceeded our expectations. Bookings have matched those of our larger established services from London Luton and Manchester which is a very encouraging result for our first year in the competitive Gatwick market.”

Prices from London Gatwick start from £49* one way to Alicante and Malaga and include a full in-flight service comprising good food with wine, complimentary drinks, daily newspapers, hot towels, in-flight TV and reserved seating. IATA agent’s commission is payable at 7%.

Monarch Scheduled also offers a timetable of flights to Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar from London Luton and Manchester. A frequent flyer programme ‘Vantage Club’ is available for regular travellers.

colegate
11th Feb 2004, 23:32
I have used Monarch schedules several times on LGW/AGP. Everything has been good about them. Thay are a very professional airline. The prices are good too. Service is better than BA. Time keeping far better than BA. Good luck to them.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
12th Feb 2004, 20:02
So does this mean that Mr. Crick's fine words last October about expansion from Luton have effectively been withdrawn?

MAN777
13th Feb 2004, 02:52
I have used al the LOCOs on my regular visiting family run to Spain, none can touch the value for money, reliability and standard of service that Monarch Crown offers, keep up the good work Monarch.

Buster the Bear
13th Feb 2004, 04:24
Unless you are orange, the word expansion seems to be a kiss of death to the airport!

Powerjet1
4th Aug 2004, 04:47
Rumoured that Monarch are about to announce two new scheduled routes from Luton to Lanzarote & Las Palmas commencing 1 November, bringing the number of scheduled destinations served from the airport to eight.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
4th Aug 2004, 11:21
Good news if true ... or will they just be a "rebranding" of the winter charters that traditionally operate on Monday (LPA) and Thursday (ACE)?

Buster the Bear
4th Aug 2004, 13:30
A good point Mr 1 BRAVO, especially now there is very little to differentiate between the service level on the charter routes compared to their scheduled..

It will be good news if the routes are in addition to the charters?
http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

EGGW
4th Aug 2004, 22:51
LPA and ACE confirmed.

Once a week to each destination, woo bleedin hoo.

EGGW.

Powerjet1
5th Aug 2004, 03:41
Would have thought both destinations would have warranted at least a twice weekly departure, certainly over the winter period anyway.

LTNman
5th Aug 2004, 06:17
I make that 50 scheduled destinations that are or will be served from LTN in the coming months. Quite an achievement as I can remember the days when Luton had no scheduled carriers apart from the odd flight from companies like Euroflight and Netherlines.

G-AZUK
5th Aug 2004, 09:01
especially now there is very little to differentiate between the service level on the charter routes compared to their scheduled..

apart from the fact you have to PAY for your food on the scheduled routes now, nosebag (what there is) still free on your charter flight

Simtech
6th Aug 2004, 13:17
apart from the fact you have to PAY for your food on the scheduled routes now, nosebag (what there is) still free on your charter flight

Not with Britannia it isn't - they charge £10 per return trip for in-flight meals.

Powerjet1
6th Aug 2004, 15:49
The scheduled flights are now on the website but they seem to be the same flight as the charter option, ie, ZB76 departs LTN 09.30, for Lanzarote. If you look up Monarch charter flights this seems to be flight MON2948, also departing LTN at 09.30. One of the same. What's more, if you try to book a charter flight on the website, it lists both flights, with about £30 difference in price. Las Palmas is exactly the same. So in effect no real increase in flights to either destination. A piggy back, code share!!!!!

LGS6753
7th Aug 2004, 12:22
LTNman -

I can only make it 49 - Inverness, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Isle of Man, Jersey, Belfast, Dublin, Galway, Waterford, Stockholm, Esbjerg, Amsterdam, Gdansk, Warsaw, Krakow, Katowice, Dortmund, Berlin, Geneva, Zurich, Budapest, Bratislava, Athens, Paphos, Larnaca, Rome, Venice, Bergamo, Turin, Cagliari, Dinard, Paris, Nimes, Nice, Gerona, Barcelona, Reus, Alicante, Mahon, Palma, Murcia, Malaga, Madrid, Faro, Gibraltar, Tenerife, Las Palmas and Lanzarote.

Put me out of my misery - what's the other one?

LGS

Powerjet1
7th Aug 2004, 12:48
easy said they would be adding at least three more destinations for the winter, Turin & Bratislavia announced. One more to follow-I think another german city highly likely. Perhaps LTN Man was allowing for that. Otherwise, I can't think what it can be either.

Buster the Bear
17th Aug 2004, 15:23
Monarch confirms Jeans' arrival 17 Aug 2004

Monarch Scheduled has said that 'experience of managing aggressive growth in new markets' was key to its appointment of former Ryanair/ MyTravelAirways man Tim Jeans as MD.
Monarch relaunched its scheduled arm, previously known as Monarch Crown Service, in 2002, signalling its ‘ambitions in the low-cost airline market’.

Jeans joined MyTravel as managing director of its new low-cost scheduled subsidiary MyTravelLite in 2002, before switching to the position of COO for the group’s airline division in June last year. Previously he was sales and marketing director for Ryanair.

Monarch chief executive, Peter Brown also said Jonathan Crick would become sales and marketing director for Monarch Scheduled. Crick was behind the division’s rebrand in 2002 and has helped grow scheduled services at Monarch since his appointment to the board as commercial director in 2002.

Other changes announced include the appointment to the Monarch Airlines board of Alan Murray, managing director of sister company First Aviation, and the change in Mike Dovey’s position from sales director to commercial planning director.

MyTravel has said that it has no plans to replace Jeans. Neill Huston will take over Jeans' responsibilities as commercial director for MyTravel Airways.

So what is Mr Jeans remit within his new role?
http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

Crash_and_Burn
18th Aug 2004, 07:17
LTN_Man and Co,

As a regular orange passenger, I think it's great that we are getting so much more choice at LTN, But I can't figure something out....

Rome and Jersey are not normally served in winter, so if you take those out of the list already published; you only have 47 new routes.

Discounting the ones already on sale, does anyone know what the missing three could be??

Hopefully they will be somewhere I want to visit!!

C&B

Powerjet1
18th Aug 2004, 07:30
C & B

True, Jersey stops end of Oct & does not operate in the winter. Ryanair start daily Rome(CIA) on 12 Jan & so wil operate the later half of the winter period. I think easy still have one further destination to announce from LTN which will almost certainly be to Germany.

LTNman
18th Aug 2004, 15:53
55 routes to 50 destinations

Aer Arann
Galway
Waterford

British Airways Express
Isle of Man

Easyjet
Aberdeen
Alicante
Amsterdam
Athens
Barcelona
Basel
Belfast
Berlin
Bratislava
Budapest
Dortmund
Edinburgh
Faro
Glasgow
Geneva
Inverness
Krakow
Madrid
Malaga
Nice
Palma
Paris
Turin
Warsaw
Zurich

Fly Be
Jersey

Helios
Lanaca
Paphos

Monarch Scheduled
Alicante
Faro
Gibraltar
Malaga
Minorca
Tenerife
Gran Canaria
Lanzarote

Ryanair
Dublin
Milan
Girona
Rues
Dinard
Esjberg
Mercia
Nimes
Venice
Rome
Stockholm

Volareweb
Cagliari

Wizzair
Warsaw
Gdansk
Budapest
Katowice

LGS6753
18th Aug 2004, 17:33
LTNman -

You've counted Zurich and Basel. :}

I still make it 49

brabazon
19th Aug 2004, 15:51
Anyone got the insiders view on the appointment of Tim Jeans? I would have thought Jonathan Crick could be upset that he's been usurped by an outsider given he helped build up Monarch Scheduled. Having said that Tim Jeans did a good job at Ryanair, sometimes referred to as the acceptable face of that airline - in comparison to the "shoot from the hip" attitude of MO'L.

Anyway we've still to get through the Winter 2004/05 period which many feel will witness the end of some of the newbies as falling yields, plus higher fuel and other costs begin to bite. Time will tell, if the doom merchants are right and which one goes first....

LTNman
19th Aug 2004, 16:02
LTNman. You've counted Zurich and Basel, I still make it 49

Hmm thought I might have got away with it although today I can book a flight to 50 destinations from LTN

kala87
19th Aug 2004, 18:58
I beg to differ on some of the posted comments about Monarch scheduled routes. My family has been using these flights to travel to/from Menorca for the past 8 years. The standard of service and food on these flights has never been less than excellent, far better than the equivalent economy class on BA. However, this year we will be enjoying? the new non-complimentary catering, so we will see if there is any drop in standards. Actually, I don't mind paying for the food as the flights are about 40% cheaper this year.

And no, I don't work for MON! But the scheduled flights (some of you seem to be confusing them with the charters) have always been a great way to travel.

Easy226
20th Aug 2004, 11:51
Interesting read, but was wondering why Birmingham have only one aircraft situated there this year? Are Monarch now only really interested in Luton, Manchester and Gatwick?
A couple of years back, weren't Monarch closely tied in with the tour operator 'Cosmos', but from reading this they are becoming more individual - what are the reasons for this?
Many Thanks
Dan

LGS6753
20th Aug 2004, 18:50
LTNman -

Is the 50th destination Deauville (Chalair)??

It seems scheduled, but will it last?

Alloy
20th Aug 2004, 18:58
Easy226, it is I believe 1 321 full time at BHX and another 321 for half the week from LGW plus a 330 Florida rotation.

Cosmos is a sister company to SpottyM.

LTNman
20th Aug 2004, 20:12
Is the 50th destination Deauville (Chalair)??

Nope its got something to do with the Deauville horse sales and racing festival which takes place in August

Easy226
21st Aug 2004, 16:28
Oh right ok thanks Alloy, never knew there was an A330 flight to Florida from BHX!
Monarch airlines must have a partnership with the tour operator Olympic and Odyssey as i travelled with them to Crete last week?

Even though Monarch are doing well at the moment, is it true that their charter operations have one of the worst puctuality results?
Many Thanks Dan

Danny_R
21st Aug 2004, 16:38
Yes it’s true, Monarch charter have one of the worst punctuality results

rmo757
24th Aug 2004, 13:07
yeap just look at the stats so far this summer Monarch are one of the worse performing charter airlines

Any one care to comment on why? even worse than FJE.......

Chidken Sangwich
24th Aug 2004, 16:57
Sorry Chaps - No larger crown from what I've heard.

The 'new' schedules arent extra flights, but just a few seats allocated on their historic charter operations, dressed up and sold as scheduled.

With the 'new and improved' cash catering on the ZB's you're better off booking charter on these services... at least you'll get a FREE meal and not have to buy one!

LGS6753
24th Aug 2004, 21:18
If you look at what MON has done in the past, its scheduled flights are timed similarly to its charters (particularly Faro, Tenerife and Mahon). When the volumes build on the ZB flights, or more charter seats are sold, two aircraft operate at very similar timings.

It's clever use of resources, and a good way to minimise risk.