PDA

View Full Version : Parachuting Ops

squall
14th Oct 2003, 19:47
Just wondering if anyone can tell me where to find all the info regarding para drops. I know that there is 2 pages in the AIP but are there any CAAPS or anything else where I can find info ?

I want any info I can find regarding the rules and requirments , and phraselogy that I will need to know before I go meatbombing.

Cheers
SQUALL

Dawn Raid
14th Oct 2003, 20:28
Hi Squall

The Australian Parachute Federation has produced a document called the Jump Pilots Manual.

They are based in Canberra I think. Look them up on the internet or ring Telstra.

Islander Jock will probably be able to provide you with more details.

I did a couple of years at Hillman Jump south of Perth, and do a bit of jump flying in Kalgoorlie.

Phraselogy.... MMMM.... get used to :-

1. 5 left, 5 right, 5 left, 5 right (even if you are tracking in on a GPS!)

2. Power off brakes on.

3. Who farted

catch you round

Islander Jock
14th Oct 2003, 23:08
Squall,
Dawn Raid has summed it up pretty well. Currently being in deepest darkest I don't have my CARs with me but I do recall a draft CASR being available on the CASA web page. Give the APF a call in Canberra. They are a pretty helpful bunch and you can even subscribe to their mailing list and they will send you the monthly crash comics and other info which may be of interest on the PJE flying side. I did about 4 or 5 years on and off PJE and had some of the most enjoyable flying to date. Lots of ferries all over the SW, city sorties, night flying and more. Most of the meatbombs are absoloutely great people, quite normal really and really know how to party. On the other hand some are absoloute a*****les. You soon learn how to differentiate between them and treat the latter with the contempt they deserve.

Dawn Raid,
You've got me wondering....?
PM me. ;)

bush mechanics
15th Oct 2003, 19:29
Being a meatbomberer!!and also a Meatbomb,you can find the latest info online.Google search australian parachute federation.Some of you guys who bag out skydivers should have a look,you will notice that the sport is fairly regulated.But hey theres ******s in any industry.Normally the pilots bagging the sport are the ones who couldnt get the job done and instead of takeing it on the chest and learning something from there misfortunes its easyer to call the operator a shonk,Dodgy,dangerous,yada yada!!!
Sometimes you just have to take blame for your actions,Most time you will be respected for it.But before you all jump down my neck,there are some places you shouldnt even bother with.
Ypu can always say NO!!!!!

the wizard of auz
15th Oct 2003, 20:09
Other phrases to get used to are "what would you know, your only a pilot"," the other pilot would have done it", "you dont need that much fuel........ if all the noise stops, your over the top of the strip anyway", "if you dont fly it I'll get someone who will", what do you mean you want paying?, you should be happy i let you fly my plane". and a whole lot of others. mostly, people at the DZ's are good folk though, and as IJ said, it won't take long to pick out the wakkers.
You will enjoy yerself with a good group and learn all sorts of interesting stuff.......... like the dance of the flamming arseholes and other stuff that will see you right further up the track.

Hey Dawny, let IJ stew for a while, ;) :p I won't tell him who you are either. Hows that new job going? are ya rich yet? :} :p

Islander Jock
15th Oct 2003, 22:43
bush mechanics,
I too was a skydiver IB, AFF, SL as well as more video skydives than I care to remember.

I agree the sport is regulated but whether or not those regs are adhered to or just given lip service is totally another matter. ;)
As for getting the job done. Do you mean flying a clapped out VFR 182 overloaded into IMC? That is what most DZs seem to think makes a good pilot.

Dawny, best comment I ever heard from a skydiver at Hillman when I told him that as they didn't have a serviceable AH or DG they shouldn't be making their pilot fly through IMC he replied, "So - It's got a GPS hasn't it?" Gotta love that ignorance.:}

QNIM
16th Oct 2003, 05:13
Wiz & Jock
You both have obviosly worked for meatbombers as I have the first lot were reasonable, but that club has folded the others just a mob of turds, with no consideration for the pilots, weather,regulations (whats that?) and other airspace users, for the good of GA maybe they could all move to a dedicated drop zone somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
I do feel much better now.
Cheers Q

bush mechanics
18th Oct 2003, 20:51
Islander,Mate I wouldnt fly something that wasnt safe,or fly into the soup just to please someone.Thats getting the job done,makeing decisions.
happy days