PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 777-300ER Prototype World Tour - Perth, Sydney and Auckland

skywest_xr
14th Oct 2003, 17:57
For those that are not aware and for those that are interested, the B777-300ER World Tour will be in our part of the world on the following dates

Perth 31/10-2/11
Sydney 2/11-4/11

Leaves the vicinity for a few days then back to AKL on

Auckland 14/11-16/11

Dates subject to change.

ferris
14th Oct 2003, 18:03
And in the same vein.........

EK starts non-stop Dubai- Sydney Dec 1st with new A340-500s (according to Gulf News).

Evanelpus
14th Oct 2003, 23:44
Ferris

What the hell has that got to do with the 777-300 Promo tour??

ferris
15th Oct 2003, 03:24
Errrrr.....I thought the post was aimed at spotters/interested parties, and I stupidly assumed someone might be interested in the A340 info (see comment about same vein).
Shan't bother next time.

Anti Skid On
15th Oct 2003, 07:38
Both have very long range! (I want to know what happened to the DUB-AKL direct that was supposedly happening - 16 hrs or so in the air - Cyclops Camel are you around??)

skywest_xr
15th Oct 2003, 10:27
Now we are talking about EK, as from March next year, Perth will lose the DXB-PER 772 service and instead receive a daily A340-300 service using leased SQ a/c.

Soulman
15th Oct 2003, 10:48
Ferris - thanks for the info. I can't wait to see either plane, they're both awesome in my books! :p

Cheers,

Soulman.

Soulman
17th Oct 2003, 17:40
I was reading on the Boeing Site that the 777-300ER team plan to use Alice Springs as part of it's complex testing plans.

The full article can be viewed here (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/news/feature/777300ER.html).

It's quite an interesting article - thought you might like to read it.

Soulman.

Capt Fathom
17th Oct 2003, 19:38
Alice would be a tight fit for a 777-300. Their tarmac requirements are more restrictive than a Jumbo due to their length.

halas
17th Oct 2003, 23:53
In 1986 they did some of the hot'n'high testing at Alice on the initial 777-200.

It was painted in United colours.

It never stopped there, just did circuits and bumps, and mid to low level manoeuvres.

Very impressive to see.

Met Frank Santoni the 777 chief test pilot, who confirmed it was he at the helm the day l saw it there in Alice, but they camped in Darwin for part of the duration.

halas

AirNoServicesAustralia
18th Oct 2003, 01:53
I can confirm what Halas said. Brings back.....interesting....memories when I was doing the Alice Springs procedural airspace. Even in the hot weather there, the 777 was pulling off some pretty amazing climb rates.

But hang on it can't have been 1986 cos I was still at High school!!!! Wasn't it more like 1996????? I certainly was talking to the 777 when it was there doing its hot weather testing but I don't think I was doing it as a 14 year old! :*

Boeing 777 first flight with United flew in June 1995 so maybe summer of 1995 was when this happened. Certainly not 1986

cyclops camel
21st Oct 2003, 00:32
G'day Anti-Skid On,
I think direct AKL services from DXB are inevitable but at the moment all of our A340-500's are commited elsewhere.
EK are launch customer for the A340-600 heavy which would be ideal for that sector.
As an aside, Mrs Camel just did a photo shoot in Toulouse on our A340-500 prior to delivery. Very jealous that she's seen it before me but she assures me it is something special cabin-wise.
I look forward to its arrival this week, and confirm it will be in SYD in December.
CC.

halas
21st Oct 2003, 12:30
Yeah, your right Airey!

l'm teging more liksdexic the older get l!

1996 was indeed the year. Maybe it was post production testing/trials?

I remember Cathay brought theirs to Perth for route testing in 1995

halas

SkySista
30th Oct 2003, 21:34
I'm interested in getting some shots of this bird while she's in Perth - anyone know exactly to what extent they'll be flying in WA, if actually leaving the ground while here? Or will the a/c just be parked at the airport? If so, I'm guessing the International terminal would be the best bet for pics?

Sorry for being a pain, I just want to be sure where I'm going, coz it's a heck of a circle from one terminal to the other! :D

What time could I expect to see the a/c arriving/departing? I'm hoping afternoon on the Friday as I'm working, and hopefully a sane hour of the AM if a morning departure.... :p And which livery should I look out for - will she be in the usual Boeing scheme?

Thanks heaps!

SS

(armed with a new camera and keen to try it!)

Down and Welded
1st Nov 2003, 21:53
SkySista,

You'll probably read this next week, but just in case you can't sleep and are surfing Pprune, get to bed NOW because you've got an early start tomorrow (Sun 2 Nov). 773 departs at 0500... on one engine!!!

Make sure ur lens cap is off...

slice
2nd Nov 2003, 16:32
Down and Welded - I don't think the Aircraft will actually take off on one engine - I would be surprised if it actually could (mabe?). You can't set full power until Vmcg and even then it's an iffy operation (how do you calculate TODR ??) that is patently unsafe at an Airport in an urban area. More likely an engine will be shut down sometime after passing MSA and complete the flight on one engine from there.

I have heard stories of BN2 pilots performing SE takeoffs in PNG when empty but that is a completely different kettle of fish!

geoffrey thomas
2nd Nov 2003, 20:53
Departed at around 5.10am on two engines. Close to max take-off weight and was off in 5000ft. Rather impressive!.
Engine out started top of climb.
GT

If anyone wants images let me know. Have sunset landing, parked early morning, push back and lift off.
[email protected]

missy
3rd Nov 2003, 17:17
Nice looking paint scheme. Much, much nicer than what we usually see flying about.

SkySista
3rd Nov 2003, 21:14
Wow!!

What a beautiful aircraft!!! I have to say I am very pleased they decided to fly to Perth (as usually we are missed out by every other major attraction!) :p

Was nice to see so many turn out to welcome her in... by the time she arrived, I'd say there were about 30 other cars at the spot I had picked out, many just stopping on the spur of the moment.

Good to see the news doing aviation justice for once - a nice long segment on the Saturday news from the aircraft, interviews with crew etc...

Just wish I could have been there for the take off!!!

SkySista

Down and Welded
9th Nov 2003, 10:53
Slice,

Thanks for your comment. Have read the latest version of "Flying The Big Jets" (777 featured) and understand what you're saying. This states (of course) that the a/c has to be able to 'take off' if one engine fails and when I read the press comment that the takeoff would be on one engine (I know, I know - the bluddy media!!) I took it literally... (will I ever learn??). Still, a brilliant a/c.

Cheers

FatEric
10th Nov 2003, 09:38
halas,

Re UA 777 in ASP.

It did overnight in Alice - I spent the evening drinking with the boeing crew by the pool at the pub - the Sheraton if my memory serves me correctly.

They kindly asked my skipper and I to come out to the airport next AM for a look.

BUT - many drinks later I hit the sack and woke up feeling very fuzzy indeed. I rang the skipper to see if he was keen and was kindly told that he was not feeling to well and thanks for the reminder but sleeping in was more prudent. Or words to that effect.

The 777 spent a couple of days doing circuits - including over the pub. Made for an interesting arvo by the pool mending a hangover.

Soulman
10th Nov 2003, 19:19
He He, thanks for the story FatEric - very informative, had that nice personal touch to it. :p

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers,

Soulman.

P.S > Haven't had any more fuzzy-headed incidents since that day in '96 have you? ;)