PDA

View Full Version : survival kit

jimgriff
14th Oct 2003, 05:29
Can anyone provide the definitive list of RAF issue survival kit as issued to Phantom / Bucc/ Harrier Jocks in the early 80's?
That is the issue kit on the person in the pockets of the Mae West and the kit carried on the seat.

Also is anyone able to tell me waht kit is carried today please?

Visit www.ejectorseats.co.uk to see where I'm coming from with this question.

Do any of you kind ladies and Gentlemen have any old (or new) survival kit to donate to a collection which in time will become a National mine of information.

Thanks in anticipation

Arctic Tern
14th Oct 2003, 16:43
Try giving the boys at SCSR a ring at St Mawgan

Spot 4
14th Oct 2003, 17:41
LSJ circa 1990, and I think that little had changed:

Pye locator beacon / toggle (duffle coat button on line) / Heliograph / Flares (x8 Mk 1 mini flare) / McMurdo light/ First Aid pack with razor blade enclosed therein / whistle (attached to RH lifting becket / emergency ground > air code guide / Stole changed from orange to green in I believe the mid seventies. A seasoned safety equipper will tell you the contents of the seat pack, but as a rule water sachets and day/night flares along with a few of the above repeated is probably a resonable guide.

CSRO posters of that era will help you in your quest and RAF Museum archives may have those, as there were several long since out of print that I can recall. SCSR @ St Mawgan may still have those.

PICKS135
16th Oct 2003, 06:44
Going from a very alky addled memory, the ZD packs on the F4 had in 1979/83

1 pair cold weather gloves
1 machete
1 day night flare
1 para flare
2 pairs socks
3 condoms
1 tin sweeties
2 first aid kits
1 fishing kit
water purifying tablets
puncture outfit
spare pye battery
another pack of miniflares
knife sharpening stone
small knife
4 bags of water

Thats all I can remember. No doubt some other Squipper will add to it.

DummyRun
16th Oct 2003, 09:26
Truckie survival kit?

Don't go anywhere without a GoldCard!!

Seriously though the black, teflon-coated, metal cup that fits on the bottom of the issue water bottle is a winner.

P.S.
Big Vern, if you read this get in touch, how good was that brew on Bodmin Moor!!!