PDA

View Full Version : Flying the pregnant Wife

feetnkneestogether
14th Oct 2003, 01:51
Just a thought if there are any Air Medics out there.
I'm wondering on the norm for flying a pregnant woman in light aircraft.

I'd only be cruising at 5000' max, so no real altitude probs there but just wanted to know if there was anything else I should consider before taking the wife off on another near-death experience ?!!@&£<>?!

I assume she should be fit-to-fly right up until D-Day minus a few weeks.(?)

Any advice appreciated.

:ok:

ferrydude
14th Oct 2003, 02:12
Personally, I see nothing unhealthy about it at any stage of pregnancy. I do know that UAE authorities prohibit flying during the latter stages, last 3 months I think

QDMQDMQDM
14th Oct 2003, 05:04
You'll have a job levering her into most light aircraft seats as she nears term, I would have thought. Can't see any other problem apart from the altitude thing. Just stay low.

Also, hope her waters don't break in the aircraft!

gingernut
15th Oct 2003, 00:49
Feetkneestogether-when my wife was carrying our second child, she went a few weeks overdue. We tried all the usual "old wives tales," hot curry, early night etc, but nothing seemed to work.

At the time, I was practicing as a district nurse in a rural area in Northern England. I was explaining my predicament to a wise old farmer, who swore that the only tried and trusted way of inducing labour was a ride down his cobbled farm path in his bumpy old land rover ! Apparently most overdue girls in the area responded to this non conventional therapy.

Just makes me think about flying in bumpy conditions with pregnant ladies.

Of course, it was just an old wives tale, and there is no medical evidence, as far as I know, to support his theory. However........!

wink wink
15th Oct 2003, 02:26
I do know one of the big risk factors with flying while pregnant is the fact that you are confined to your sit. It is very important for a prenant woman to change postion from sitting to standing for the flow of blood and also for the prevention of blood clots. For the rest if it is a healthy pregnancy she should be fine. As far as I know most airlines have a cut off of 36 weeks due to the fact that labor can come at anytime due simply to nature. If you have any major concerns get your wife to inquire during her next Dr. appt. In the mean time make sure she just doesn't sit in one position too long.

fernytickles
18th Oct 2003, 09:45
I have a friend whose "bump" was so prominent she had trouble doing the "full & free" checks prior to departure for her ATP flight test! She passed with flying colours and her baby was just fine.

Having said that, I think the decision is up to the individual and how they feel, both physically and from a comfort point of view - being in a relatively unnatural environment at this time in your life is not for everyone.