PDA

View Full Version : ICAO CPL/ME/IR under £10k???

Capt. Manuvar
13th Oct 2003, 21:06
Is possible to get an ICAO CPL wuth ME and Instrument ratings for under or around £10k?
It seemed possible a few moths ago in S. Africa but the exchange rate's gone up.
Cheers
Capt. M

Charlie Zulu
13th Oct 2003, 22:02
Hi Capt M,

I spent a tincey wincey bit over US$10,000 obtaining my FAA CPL/IR (Single Engine).

Add about US$3,000 to that for the ME Add-On to the Commercial with IR privilages.

So you'll be looking at £9000 based on around US$1.5 to the UK Pound, **without** taking into account spending money, transatlantic flights, Miami/Fort Myers/Orlando airport transfers (or hire car), accommodation etc.

However I had around 420 hours before I went to America to complete the courses together with most of the requirements such as the long cross country etc. The IR was Part 141, CPL was Part 61.

This was at a well respected school in Naples, Florida.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

df1
14th Oct 2003, 04:29
Yes, and do be careful of unscrupulous schools in SA. I had a bad experience there and was aghast to find that it seems rife.

Of course the same could happen anywhere\- but SA ain't worth it in my eyes!!

On the other hand I can vouch for the US system - far more enjoyable and productive I think. Check out the various threads on SA and flight training!

pittss2b
14th Oct 2003, 10:58
10k CPL/IR and ME. No problem...in Canada

If you wish to advertise on this site, the rates can be provided to you by Admin - there are plenty of links on most pages. Please do not continually attempt to obtain free advertising surreptitiously the way you have done a number of times recently; you will find yourself banned from the site.

Scroggs

Tiger Bob
16th Oct 2003, 03:16
The exchange rate is working against South Africa at the moment but you can still get a quality ICAO CPL around $10 000. You will have to shop around and bargain a bit for special rates. There are plenty of posts in various places in pprune about schools to avoid and schools with a good reputation.