PDA

View Full Version : I am a blind vigilante crime fighter by night

daredevil
13th Oct 2003, 19:33
Good Morning, Evening or Night to you all, I have a medical question:

I recently found out that my eye-sight (un-corrected) is -3, whatever that means. And I am thinking of having laser surgery to correct this before I go for my class one medical exam, which the flight school I have applied for requires. Is this a good a idea .

any comments, advice or anything wholesome would very much appreciated fellas.

Double Digits

Crepello
13th Oct 2003, 23:19
I passed my (JAA) Class 1 Initial with -2.5 peepers, though I was quite close to the limit and (shhh) had to squint slightly for the smaller text. I suspect -3 is at the limit or fractionally beyond it. On the bright side, if you make it through the initial, the standard's less demanding for repeats.

Do some careful research before opting for laser therapy. I half-heartedly looked into it some time ago. I don't remember precise details, but the following thoughts occur:
- Your eyesight is close to the lower limit for what can be treated.
- You may be ineligible to fly for 6mo / 1yr afterwards.

Certainly discuss it with the flight school before proceeding. And, if you've not already done so, run a Pprune search...

MidnightSpecial
14th Oct 2003, 07:07
The doctor for my airline says not to get laser surgery. If there is a mistake during the procedure your airline career can be over. He says it happens to a few pilots every year.

I know a doctor that performs these operations. He wears glasses. I asked him why he doesn't get the laser surgery and he opined that his eyes are too valuable to risk to the surgery.

Good luck. I used ortho-k and now fly a DC-10.

There is a variation on this called corneal refractive therapy in which you wear lenses at night and have them out for the day. I scanned the websites and one said that there was a risk of glare and haloes. It will reduce myopia (nearsightedness) after about 2 weeks but the spherical aberration in your eye can increase.

Talk to a few doctors,

MS

QNIM
15th Oct 2003, 18:06
Gday Midnight
My doctor told me the same, so Daredevil think twice what vision you have got is very valuable. Cheers Q

daredevil
15th Oct 2003, 19:24
thanks fellas and keep em coming whom ever is following this thread because I want to make a good decision.:ok:

DD