PDA

View Full Version : How much does jet fuel cost per litre?

Propellerhead
27th Jan 2001, 15:37
Is jet fuel more or less expensive than petrol?

I would think the fact that it is more refined and has much greater quality / storage controls on it would make it more expensive. However, airlines use it in such vast quantities and have contracts with suppliers, so that ought to bring the price back down.

All we get is a fuel price index, not the actual amount.

Also, anyone know how much it costs to carry each additional ton of fuel (extra / contingency). It can't be THAT much as it is economical to tanker a whole trip's worth of fuel to certain destinations.

Brakes...beer
27th Jan 2001, 21:28
Read somewhere recently that it's about $300 a tonne. If a tonne is about 1250 litres that makes it 24 cents a litre, about the same price as tax-free petrol, I suppose.

spannerhead
1st Feb 2001, 09:58
What makes you think that jet fuel is more refined. It is in fact a crude (pun) version of diesel. In the old jam jar it uses more to the gallon and the acceleration is a bit lacking but who cares, if your a bit over zealous on the water drains during a daily check....it's free!!!!!!!!!

Pdub
2nd Feb 2001, 01:56
Out of interest I was wondering what the seansonal variations are like as, with it being a heavier fraction than petrol etc and closer to diesel/heating oil, I would have thought that during northern hemispere winter the price would go up.

On tankering, I was surprised watching, Spanish Airport, I think, when the crew were waiting for fuel and the Fire Crew were having lunch :rolleyes:. The Capt decided to go anyway without any upload of fuel. Now a couple of things occur ro me, why would you bother to take on fuel if you had enough to get back? And how often are the Fire Dept. required to be standing by as fuel is loaded?, I've never seen it in my travels, is it a case of jobs for the boys at the airlines/pax's expense?