PDA

View Full Version : RAAF apologises for F-111 flyover

Wirraway
13th Oct 2003, 13:20
AAP

RAAF apologises for F-111 flyover

The RAAF apologised for a spectacular low-level night-time flyover of Canberra by F-111 bombers that was meant to be a celebration but instead frightened locals and puzzled police.

Hundreds of people called police and emergency services when two jets flew over Canberra at 1,000 feet (about 300 metres) on Saturday night, igniting fuel from their afterburners in a fiery display.

The flyover was part of the High Court's 100th anniversary celebrations.

RAAF spokesman Group Captain David Steele said the air force was now reviewing its procedures for such events.

"Can I just say to Canberra and the community that we deeply regret any angst that has been caused," Group Captain Steele told Canberra ABC Radio.

"We go out of our way to try and put things in place to make sure the correct people are notified, and the community is aware of an event like that, and the activity to take place.

"We obviously regret any concern and any angst that may have been caused."

Both the RAAF and the High Court issued press releases before the flyover, but Group Captain Steele agreed there should have been better communication with police.

"Obviously, the current procedure didn't work as effectively in this case, and we sure can do better in the future."

A elderly caller to the station - who gave her name as Rosemary, of Narrabundah - said she had been petrified by the flyover.

"I just sat petrified, being a wartime British child, and I thought: `It's going to crash. Someone is trying to save that plane, trying to save houses'," she said.

The Australian Federal Police said its officers had not been able to help reassure callers, because it had been told nothing about the flyover.

A spokesman said the noise frightened many who were worried about terrorism, particularly on the eve of the first anniversary of the Bali bombings.

============================================
AAP

High Court celebrations spark terrorism concerns

The Federal Police have launched an investigation into a low-level RAAF flyover that alarmed thousands of Canberra residents last night.

The flyover, with a fuel "dump and burn", was part of celebrations to mark the 100th anniversary of the High Court.

An RAAF spokesman says the jets flew in from the north and across the city at an altitude of about 300 metres, performing the dump and burn for about two minutes.
There were also low-level fireworks around the National Museum, where a dinner is underway as part of the celebration.

But police say they received thousands of calls from confused people, some of whom thought the city was under terrorist attack on the eve of the Bali bombing anniversary.

Defence media spokesman Rob Care-Wickham says there was never any risk to residents.

But he was not able to comment on whether the proximity of the Bali anniversary was considered in the decision to stage the flyover.

"I can't really comment about that. That's a comment that would better be served coming from the High Court. It's their 100th anniversary, they've arranged it, they're the ones who have made any arrangement with defence," he said.

============================================

Buster Hyman
13th Oct 2003, 14:55
Well, I was in CBR at the time, I had NFI it was going to happen & when it did it startled me a little, but I don't need an apology from anyone.:rolleyes: I knew it had to be a fighter by the length of the roar, but I didn't guess it was a dump n burn. Wish I'd known!:(

Besides, the 2 cars that pranged outside my place during Bathurst gave me a bigger fright! "Crickey!" I thought, "Perkins is coming through the telly!!!":eek:

MoFo
13th Oct 2003, 15:45
Sounds like the little old lady from Narrabundah dumped too.

compressor stall
13th Oct 2003, 17:13
Gimme a break. So what if the little old lady was startled. She was probably startled when a mack truck sounded its horn too. Why do people listen to this crap. If she was aware of what happens in society around her, she would have seen the dump and burn on tele from any number of occasions - from sporting events to anzac day parades.

Why do the media listen to this twaddle. :mad:

The RAAF need not apologise. Noone was hurt, injured, and they were most likely invited to flyover as part of the high court celebration. :ouch:

Islander Jock
13th Oct 2003, 18:38
G'day Stallie,
Good point mate.
ADF elements do not take it upon themselves to paricipate in any sort of celebrations. In fact they probably find the majority of them little more than a pain in the butt. :* I know I did on the army side.

Perhaps the flunky who organised the High Court celebration including the myriad of requests that would have had to be sent to AHQAust should be the one apologising to the residents who found the event distressing. It is he/she who should be held accountable to make sure all I s are dotted and Ts crossed.

Confused police eh? Well that's not hard, what did they do, draw their .38s and 9MMs and take cover behind the open door of their commodores? :rolleyes:

(apologies to the RAAFies if I have misnamed your service HQ. It has probably changed at least 4 or 5 times since I left full time service 4 years ago)

Stick Pusher
13th Oct 2003, 18:54
I sure as hell wouldn't appologise!!!

Surely it got to be one of the most well know sights in the Australian skys!!! If someone hasn't physically seen on (which is a must!) then surely they would have seen it on TV?

To think it was a terrorist attack - really!

I guess some people thought it was aliens, or some sort of new aerial crop dusting method, or the RAAF's formally top secret anti airborne virus decontamination irradication system (AAVDIS - for those that like the short version!) to burn off any airborne bio hazards... I'm sure if I keep at it I'll stumble onto the real reason..................:}

ftrplt
13th Oct 2003, 20:43
IJ, currently Headquarters Air Command (HQAC)

Capn Bloggs
13th Oct 2003, 22:58
Perkins thru the TV: now that'd get your attention!

They should have asked the old biddy "Madam, did it have a red star or the red white and blue flag on it's wing? Well, in that case, thank your lucky stars it was one of ours!"

Spodman
14th Oct 2003, 11:06
Perkins did seem to have some trouble keeping it on the track...

Buster Hyman
14th Oct 2003, 14:37
Perhaps that's why he took his time during the race???:}