PDA

View Full Version : Australia's best regional gig ???

TopperHarley
13th Oct 2003, 08:47
G'day people,

I was having a bit of a think today about which regional would be the best to work for ??

Since the good ole days are over, it sounds like the regionals are starting to get bigger pounds of flesh out of crews (a commercial necessity no doubt).

Ahhh Aeropelican in the early nineties, 3 or 4 days a week and always home by lunchtime !!

I dont know how you exactly measure the best regional job in the country but I guess the following things are relevant (in no particular order):

1. Dollars (FO and Capt)

2. Time to command

3. Relationship with management (Are the EAA stories true?)

4. How hard you work (duty hrs per week ??)

5. Overnights per month

6. Route structure

7. Route structure

etc... etc...

Anyone in the know care to comment ??

Torres
13th Oct 2003, 09:23
"How hard you work (duty hrs per week ??)"

And which do you consider a plus? More hours, or less hours?
:confused:

T53C
13th Oct 2003, 10:19
"3. Relationship with management (Are the EAA stories true?)"

Well, what stories have you heard so people can confirm or deny?

Torres, I think most guys who get into a regional, have slogged it out chipping away at the log book to get there, and are interested in less hours, and more lifestyle. But, I could be wrong. :ooh:

hoss
13th Oct 2003, 17:55
G'day fella's,

It's "Horses for coarses" I say. TopperHarley, you have mentioned 6 good points and I think Australia has a Great variety of Regional Airlines that 'in one way or another' could probably suit most of that criteria :ok: .

Yes, Australia's Regional Airlines have gone through some big changes in the last two years and the dust is just starting to settle (I think). Put it this way if you had asked me to predict how things would be in 'the Regionals' back in 2000, I would never in my wildest dreams(or nightmares) thought it to be like this. Having said that, I am also optimistic that you can have a great career and a nice quality of life as a Regional Airline Pilot.

Some of the 'gigs' that I think would be good are: Skywest F-50 /Perth, Sunstate DHC-8 /Cairns, NJS 146 /Cairns or Darwin, Rex SF-340 /Adelaide and of course Eastern DHC-8 /Sydney (no particular order just some off the top of my head :) )

Good luck if you have the choice to choose:p , hoss:)

TopperHarley
13th Oct 2003, 21:30
Torres - Perhaps I should have phrased it a bit better. I guess duty hours per week dosent necessarily equate (inversely) to lifestyle. Its probably got more to do with how those hours are managed.

Hoss - Are the bases for different regionals significantly different ?? I notice you mention Sunnies in YBCS, EAA in YSSY etc...

hoss
14th Oct 2003, 10:05
If I take the Cairns vs. Sydney example, it comes down to where you will 'fit in' on the socio-economic scale(if thats important to you).

I would say that a DHC-8 Captain earning between 70-90K would probably afford a better lifestyle in Cairns than in Sydney where that kind of pay 'just keeps them off the streets' ;) .

Like I said, its "horses for coarses" and they all have there benefits and downsides.

Safe flying, hoss:)