PDA

View Full Version : Schreck flying boats

ColeFace
13th Oct 2003, 07:58
Does any one have a source of info on the Schreck flying boats?

Any search I do on the computer comes up very limited.

I'm interested in a story of the Schrecks being in Canada doing a survey on the lower St. Lawrence system. say 1920 or 30s, not too sure of the date.

Apparently several were found in a barn in the Montreal area in the 50s and stripped of their engines, pushed into a pile and torched. The finder having re-skinned one with Coke signs for tin and flew it.

Anyone??

Lu Zuckerman
13th Oct 2003, 10:43
To: ColeFace

On the address bar of you computer type in the following. Copernic. This is a fantastic search engine as it has 17 different engines doing the work. Sign on for the basic registration, as it is free.

Once you get on line with the search engine type in Schreck Flying Boats and hit the go button. Within 60 seconds you will get a multitude of hits for the flying boats, for the designer and for the operators. Good luck.

:E

pigboat
13th Oct 2003, 11:17
ColeFace, the survey company you're looking for was La Compagnie aerienne franco-canadienne. They began operations in June 1926 from two bases, one in Pointe-aux-Trembles (Montreal) the other in Sillery near Quebec City. They were initially enaged in aero photography, and photographed most of the Gaspe peninsula from an out base at Val Brilliant on lac Matapedia.
The first two pilots were Ferdinand de Lessops and Albert Monville. They had one fatal crash, near Mont-Joli in October 1927, that killed the pilot Jacques de Lessops and his engineer Theodor Chichenko. They went out of business in the early '30's.

You could contact Sylvain Gingras, author of "L'Aventure des Pilotes de Brousse" at Les Editions Triton Inc. He has a chapter on the company in his book.
PM me and I can supply you with Sylvan's e-mail address if you like. I don't know if he speaks English, though.:D

pigboat
16th Oct 2003, 06:26
CF, check yer PM's. Sorry for the delay, I was away for a few days.