PDA

View Full Version : Jobs?

bcoz
12th Oct 2003, 13:47
Ok everybody! I love Africa! My wife loves Africa! I am currently a captain for American Airlines (formerly, and always, a TWA pilot).
Anyway...what are the chances/opportunities for employment in southern Africa? I have investigated South African Airways. Correct me if I am wrong about this, but it seems that their hiring practices follow very closely with Lufthansa...in that they usually start with very low time pilots, and take them through their company-run training program. They start as cadets, and work their way up to the mainline (SAA), after accruing the requisite experience..so it seems my chances regarding that avenue are almost nil. SAA would be my first choice, of course, as I have flown them quite a few times and find them to be a first-rate outfit.
We are getting ready to jet off to Cape Town next week. We'll be there for a few days, then have hired a car ("rented", for you Americans) for three weeks, and are going to spend most of it driving around Namibia.
We have done this before, and fell in love with this stark, beautiful country. We have also spent time in Botswana, South Africa, and Malawi. My wife has been to most every country in eastern and southern Africa, and this will be her 14th trip, and it is my 5th visit to this fabulous continent. Do any of you gents (and/or ladies) have any thoughts on this subject? I have about 15,000 hours, and am rated on the 767/757...DC9/MD80...and the Citation (CE500). I have an F/E certificate for the 727, and flight instructor certificates...having instructed both primary, and instrument students. We are very serious about moving here someday, and I think sooner is more desirable than later.
I'm 45 years old, and have realized that being happy in one's work, and being proud to tell everyone whom you work for, is more important than making a lot of money.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...Cheers to all...Bill Crawford

helldog
13th Oct 2003, 16:44
Mate give Air Tanzania a try. They are planning a big expansion with the new SAA ownership. I know they are looking right now for pilots on the 737-200 and Dash 8. Someone with your experience should have a good chance. Cheers Billy, hold a couple of cold ones for you if you get in.

bcoz
14th Oct 2003, 13:09
Thanks, Helldog...I've not given Tanzania any thought, but I'll definitely send some info their way. I took some time to browse some other threads on this forum, and there are a sh**load of people out there looking for positions! I started out flight instructing, then charters in twin Cessnas, then a corporate job in Lears and Citations...now I'm flying an MD80 here in the States..I'm not chasing hours any more, but simply want to have a job that I enjoy again...anyway, your reply is most appreciated, and I'll see what they are in need of in Tanzania.
Good Luck to you! Cheers! Bill

Goldfish Jack
14th Oct 2003, 22:33
Bill.

Being a goldfish bowl operator, I do not know too much about the aviation scene flying wise, but there are not many companies operating B727s in SA now. LOts in Africa yes - maybe you can get a job there and live in SA (?).

As to SA, if you are looking in the charter world, you might like to try the following:

B727s: www.nationwide.co.za
www.safair.co.za
Charter: www.rossair.co.za
www.solenta.co.za
www.aeropages.co.za (they will have links to many operators)
www.naturelink.co.za
www.execujet.co.za
www.nac.co.za

There are a hell of lot of other operators, whether they will take your USA experience I dont know, but if you dont ask, you dont get...........(even in Africa)

Good luck and have a great holiday