PDA

View Full Version : Natural Flyer?

Vfrpilotpb
12th Oct 2003, 01:17
I hope this will be interesting to some of you Rotorheads,

Today at a secret site near to where I live, I witnessed the most superb piece of flying that I have ever witnessed, it seemed that the CFI was giving an example of hover, transition terrain and obstacle avoiding flight in tight confines, accelerating to what seemed like 60knts jinking left and right under wires executing a eyeball popping R/H turn comming into a quick stop and hover, then off again and finally landing to hand over to the novice.

He set of and whilst definately not as fast as the CFi he was every bit as agile and precise. it may seem that I had time to waste but I watched these awe inspiring flights for well over 45 mins, and only had to stop when activities ceased because of other attractions. I can tell you people I was impressed enough to put it on Pprune, what were they flying I hear you ask!

Well it was Claws and feathers, for I had witnessed a late teaching of a young Sparrow Hawk in my wood, when any of us humans have one tenth of the agility of the birds of prey, then we will be good pilots! :ok:

Capn Notarious
12th Oct 2003, 19:39
This fellow made a very very very short film of a white owl.
Said bird lifted off a post flew down the line of the fence and directly to camera.
Must be on a BBc web site or summat. Worth a search.

MightyGem
14th Oct 2003, 22:52
Peter, wish I could have been there.