PDA

View Full Version : Flying at the Rugby World Cup in Sydney (merged)

RobboRider
11th Oct 2003, 14:24
Anyone know who was doing all the flights, and in what, over the Sydney Olympic Stadium last night for the Rugby World Cup opening ceremony and game?

I was in the crowd and at times there were two or three sets of lights visible in a tight orbit over the stadium. Couldn't tell what helicopters they were but for much of the time I was more interested in trying to catch a glimpse of the aircraft than the game.

The level of play was pretty scrappy lots of unforced errors from both sides. At least we won I suppose!:ok:

Av8r
11th Oct 2003, 15:21
"After former Wallaby captain John Eales placed the ball, James looked towards the gold posts, took aim and kicked for all his worth.
As the ball soared through the posts, fireworks were supposed to explode simultaneously around the stadium in a shower of colour.
However, the fireworks did not eventuate. Early last night it was not clear what went wrong." AAP

I know what happened, an unauthorized “rogue” helicopter was in the wrong spot at the wrong time and 'allegedly' way too low, officials deemed it too dangerous to set off the fire works “wrecking the moment”. DOH. Good one.

Fess up. Who was it and why?

Autorotate
11th Oct 2003, 16:06
Could have been Frank Van Rees in Channel 7
Could have been Ticehurst in Channel 2
Could have been Foot or David in Channel 9

Could also have been John Eacott lurking in the shadows ;)

:E

Ascend Charlie
11th Oct 2003, 17:23
Well, one of them (in a Squirrel) has been blamed for the cancellation of the fireworks. When the little kid kicked the ball towards the goal posts, the fireworks were supposed to go off. But a helo was too low, and the manager stopped the fireworks.

Come on boys, whose face is red?:)

RobboRider
12th Oct 2003, 11:56
Did I open a can of worms with my innocent question?:\

:uhoh:

The above comments were the first I'd heard of the firework delay. From someone-in-the-crowd point of view it didn't look as if anything unplanned happened. The bit in question was still spectacular. The kid kicked the ball and it disappeared in a puff of smoke at his feet and appeared to travel all the way through the far goal posts and a few maybe one or two fireworks burst out from somewhere level with roof at the far end of the stadium.
Actually looked good.

John Eacott
12th Oct 2003, 15:49
Sydney Morning Herald article here (http://rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/11/1065676206056.html) . Nuffink to do with me, Guv, tucked up at home in bed ;)

Part of the text:

"James was superb and not a bit nervous. He started his run-up to kick the ball, paused for a split second to time the kick exactly as the music reached a crescendo, and unleashed his mighty kick.

Those watching were supposed to see the ball fire like a rocket to the posts at the other end of the field and over the roof of the stadium as fireworks exploded.

It was, of course, a trick. The ball James kicked was tugged through a hole in the stage and a cannon under the stage fired a specially-made ball into the air.

Patrick did his bit, leaping with joy and waving to the crowd as he left the field in triumph.

But unfortunately, everybody watching was literally left in the dark.

Spotlights failed to pick up the ball flying through the air and the fireworks did not go off. The ball disappeared into the darkness, and the moment fell disappointingly flat.

A spokeswoman for Mr Walsh said yesterday they could not set off the fireworks as a rogue helicopter was hovering too low over the stadium at that exact moment.

(snip)

Australian Rugby Union spokesman Strath Gordon said it was a minor glitch in an otherwise perfect ceremony.

"There were seven helicopters over the stadium at the time and we are not going to hold an inquiry into which one was responsible for calling off the fireworks."

helmet fire
12th Oct 2003, 18:31
Lets blame the helicopters - again. Sydney just seems to hate them.

Helicopters too low? My arse. Bang sticks not working properly is my guess.

Lets see - all involved helicopters were in an orbit around the stadium at the same level. All were required to take instructions from Polair (the NSW Police Helicopter) , and chat on a pre arranged frequency. The Polair pilot (Kieth Stewart I think, and according to the paper, Rob Koppock) was in contact with organisers on the ground through the police ground station. Before the fireworks were due, Kieth gave everyone a heads up and explained timmings and altitude restrictions. He even used the nitesun to illuminate the area the fireworks were supposed to be originating from, so all pilots could identify the area (and everyone would be able to film it). At the appropriate time, Kieth made the call and all dutifully climbed up above the required altitude and remained together in the orbit, thus NO ONE was low. One fire work did go off! A radio call was relayed through the ground station that there had been a problem on the ground and there would be no more fireworks, therefore the helicopters were cleared back down to a lower level.

Sounds like a fire work stuff up to me. Only 1 billion watching? Sh1t, who do we blame......

If they really didnt fire the stuff off because of a "low flying helicopter" then there is three points to be made:

1. Were they that amatuerish that they did not confirm the helicopters had all climbed clear minutes before the fire works were due?

2. It sounds like none of their safety protocols worked very well because one firework did go off despite thier claim that a low flying helicopter was around.

3. It would not have been "one helicopter" in any event as they were all in the same orbit level and quite close together.

Me thinks it is a convenient scapegoat!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Av8r
13th Oct 2003, 04:49
…all good points and well brought out Mr Fire.

But it’s all a bit too late now for the great unwashed public, they’ve been told it was the helicopters, and that’s good enough for them and all they will remember.
Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t.

At the end of the day, we should have never trusted you guys.

Should have held it in Melbourne.
;)

Autorotate
13th Oct 2003, 06:07
Methinks it was Helmet Fire who caused the problems. Trying to sneak in under the radar for a freebie view in his trusty BK. :ok: :ok:

:E

Ascend Charlie
13th Oct 2003, 08:36
Too little, too late...

HELICOPTERS NOT TO BLAME FOR FIREWORKS CANCELLATION

Sunday Oct 12, 2003

The Australian Rugby Union says checks on the circumstances surrounding a
fireworks segment of Friday's Rugby World Cup Opening Ceremony have
indicated all helicopters were correctly positioned when a decision was
taken not to launch a batch of pyrotechnics.

ARU Managing Director John O'Neill says an array of helicopters had taken up
safe positions for the "kicking kid" segment but the correct judgment call
was made to err on the side of caution.

"The helicopter pilots are professionals and did their job. However the
pyrotechnicians also have a duty of care and were not 100% certain the
airspace was clear. At the end of the day three shells were not launched in
what was a small part of a very successful and well received opening
ceremony.

"The suggestion that a helicopter interfered with the show is incorrect. Our
apologies to all the pilots involved - they did their job professionally and
had taken up positions in a coordinated fashion at a safe distance."

ENDS

Strath Gordon
Head of Media and Communications

Av8r
13th Oct 2003, 08:55
DOH! Damn.

:\

;)

helmet fire
13th Oct 2003, 16:50
me thinks it was Autorotate, using the guise of photographing the helicopters, but actually trying to get a few snaps of the Wallabies for his bedroom wall (and to pass onto the All Black camp).
:} :}
:ok: