PDA

View Full Version : What is a MERCY FLIGHT?

Goldfish Jack
11th Oct 2003, 04:01
Just sitting here, picking my nose and was wondering what is a mercy flight?

Had an interesting one just now - here comes an aircraft from somewhere in Africa, apparantly on a mercy flight (anyone know the ICAO definition of this?) and he requests a visual approach because he is a mercy flight. No problem. Cleared, etc etc blah blah......

However at about 20nm miles out, we have a change of plan and an ILS is requested, for training purposes!!!

Now is this flight a mercy flight, with a patient that is dying, or is it a training flight (?) in which case, the patient cannot be dying and thus it cannot be a mercy flight?

I know I failed to pass standard 6, but surely this is misuse of the term MERCY?

ATCs are required to offer all possible assistance to a MERCY flight, if needs be even delaying other flights (ICAO prioritisation of flights) and now the pilot wants to practise an ILS.

Me thinks: (1) Do pilots file MERCY to try and jump the queue?
(2) Are MERCY flights a matter of life and death, or should they not be called hospital flights (ICAO) ie a patient is only moved once they are stable and able to fly?
(3) Will the next MERCY flight I handle actually be one, or is it a disguise for a training flight?

Now the cherry on the top - they want to return home, after off-loading their ill (?) passenger and file for a MERCY flight!!!!! (crew only).

Now I know why I failed standard 6 - MERCY was french for thank you, so this must be a THANK YOU flight!!!!

Such misuse of the term will only cause ATC to doubt further MERCY flights and it will affect all operators who try and file MERCY flights, because when is a mercy flight a mercy flight or not??? Thank you, sorry MERCI, for your time.

REAL ORCA
11th Oct 2003, 14:47
Hi Goldfish

Watched those Pi$$-cats doing circuits and landings the other day in a strong south easterly breeze in Cape Town, and thought that every touch and go was a mercy flight! Maybe the pilot was under the same impression!?:}

swh
11th Oct 2003, 17:40
Not sure of your local procedures, with ICAO mercy flights can also be declared where to perform a flight some rule that would normally need to be complied with needs to be broken in order to complete a flight.

This could be eg. flight instrument unservicable, operation not authorised under the air operators certificate, crew exceeding flight and duty time limitiations.

The term mercy flight does not automatically give you ATC priority with ICAO Doc 4444, you also need to obtain priority when submitting you flight plan.