PDA

View Full Version : Concorde and LE/TE devices

SOPS
23rd Aug 2001, 21:48
Ok at the risk of proving that I an really stupid, can someone explain why Concorde has no "hi lift" devices. (At least I think it doesnt) If I am wrong please feel free to abuse me, but if it has no LE/TE things I would really like to know why :)

H721
24th Aug 2001, 11:30
her dalta wing (bigger contact area) already provides the necessary lift for take-off and drag for landing. so can get rid of those high lift devices.

Tinstaafl
25th Aug 2001, 04:50
Concorde's ogival wing is capable of producing lift at relatively high angles of attack & therefore low(ish) airspeeds.

It does this by causing a large vortex to be formed & shed from the leading edge of the wing nearest the fuselage.

The vortex adds energy to airflow over the upper surface of the wing.

Delta wing high lift devices was discussed recently here (http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002253)

mustafagander
25th Aug 2001, 15:06
Actually some changes to the wing including high lift devices were planned for the next series of Concorde. Sadly, there was only one lot built. :(

Dan Winterland
25th Aug 2001, 15:30
And if you think about it, a flap on a delta wing would actually be an elevator, so there's a problem. Hardly any deltas have high lift device, the only ones I can think of is the Mirage 2000 which has LE devices acting against drooping elevons, and the Typhoon which has canards which obviously have some longitudinal contol function. The M2000's I think (although I'm willing to be corrected) is largely automatic as a function of the fly by wire trickery.