View Full Version : Anyone work for BMI?

jettesen
10th Oct 2003, 04:32
Could anyone please give me some info about working as cabin crew for BMI? I am interested in joining them at LHR, and ondering what the salary was like for new starts, and promotion time scales. Would be most greatful for any info.

Airprox
13th Oct 2003, 04:17
Good luck with your application.

I would try some other airline first. bmi has been going down hill for years. Like most big airlines they make big decsions quickly and then spend years in denial with demoralised crew and larger cost implications.

I was flight deck for bmi and my wife was a Flight Supervisor so I know a few stories about bmi and their management. They don't reward loyalty and you certainly won't have a life whist working for them.

The bmi baby cabin crew manager at EMA told my wife off for smiling and being nice to passengers!

I don't know where they get them from!

Cabin crew is a thankless job but it would be a good experience for a few years, but not realy a career.

chocolate bob
14th Oct 2003, 18:15
I used to work as Cabin Crew for bmi and had a great time. They make you work very hard and the wages aren't fantastic but the job is made bearable by the people you work with. Sometimes you get treated badly by your superiors but have to take the rough with the smooth.

All in all it's a good job working with great people but I wouldn't want to make a career out of it.

Good Luck

C.B.
:ok:

Regis Potter
15th Oct 2003, 06:44
I'm ex-bmi & frankly, the job is what you make it. Airprox's view is not untypical & I've seen the same sort of things however, personally, I have had more good experiences than bad & can honestly say I enjoyed my time there.

Good Luck.

Cabin Pressure89
16th Oct 2003, 05:19
May I just say airprox that the role of Cabin Crew can be a career.
It is not just a thank less job.

I take it that you are behind the flight deck door?!?

I have a degree in Nursing and hated it. Now nursing is a thank less task.

Within the airline I work for, Promotion is good, I can go into training and other areas. Being Cabin Crew can be the start for a great career.

I love my job and so do lots of people I work for. We work very hard for our money and take lots of crap.

So until you are out in the cabin serving passengers I would keep your comments to yourself.

At the end of the day we are very highly trained service and safety personnel.!.

I suppose some of us see pilots as a highly paid bus driver!

Glad I got that off my chest.

pollypocket36
17th Oct 2003, 23:24
Well said Cabin Pressure!!!!

Anyway, moving on to the "thankless" career of Cabin Crew at bmi. Honestly, you will have a laugh, long and short days, hear crew moaning about their rosters which compared to my firends at other airlines, really aren't that bad.

The money for the first year is probably between £1100-1300. Well, thats what I always took home, some say less. After a year it goes up by another 100 quid I think.

Promotion can be quick and I hear the pay is not too bad either. Good luck with the app form if you decide to do it. It's not a bad move.