PDA

View Full Version : Ringway name change

AOG-YYZ
10th Oct 2003, 03:04
Any truth to the rumour that Manchester is to be renamed "Sir John Barbarolli International"?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

BAe 146-100
10th Oct 2003, 04:18
Hi,

Where did you hear that rumour?

BAe 146-100 ;)

LTNman
10th Oct 2003, 04:22
No its going to be changed from Ringway to Ring-Piece International

Caslance
10th Oct 2003, 04:49
As opposed to "Stuck Up a Hill With Nowhere To Go Next International", eh, LTNman?:ok:

LGS6753
11th Oct 2003, 02:51
Rainway International?

TwinAisle
11th Oct 2003, 18:23
Given Liverpool is now John Lennon, how about Manchester being renamed Vera Duckworth International?

TA

Caslance
11th Oct 2003, 19:36
What about "Mike Harding International" - then we could negotiate a timeshare deal on the statue at John Lennon (lovely bloke, salt of the earth, loved Liverpool so much he lived in New York) International.

Every time I see the thing, it reminds me of Mike Harding......;)

MAN777
11th Oct 2003, 22:33
I was recently at a presentation by management from LPL, the idea of naming the airport John Lennon has proved a massive success (they claim) the idea and the statue were inspired by John Wayne Orange county, as they have a statue of the famous actor.

Manchester airport already has international recognition and it would be foolish to mess around with its name. But here are some famous Manchester bands, feel free to add more !

The Bee Gees
Oasis
The Smiths
The Charletans
Take That
The Dooleys (who)
New Order

Frankfurt_Cowboy
11th Oct 2003, 22:46
It has to be "Steven Patrick Morrissey Intercontinental Airport"

AOG-YYZ
11th Oct 2003, 23:19
We (Torontonians) have Lester B. Pearson (dead Canadian Prime Minister, Nobel peace Laureat who never lived in Toronto) International, but rather than naming Manchester for a, rather ordinary music conducter of a English provincial orchestra, why not name it for one of Manchester's most distinctive features, 'Dog Feces International'?
:D :D

Caslance
11th Oct 2003, 23:31
Oh, and there I was thinking that the medication was working, AOG-YYZ!;) (and it's faeces - if you're going to have a pop, please try and spell it right......)

Seeing as someone mentioned New Order, how about "Pete Hook International"?

MerchantVenturer
11th Oct 2003, 23:42
If you are looking to name the airport after someone who put Manchester on the world map, there can only be one contender:

Sir Matt Busby International Airport.

MAN777
12th Oct 2003, 00:29
AOG - YYZ

yawnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Frankfurt_Cowboy
12th Oct 2003, 00:31
AOG-YYZ

Was Mr Pearson a particularly tedious person? If so then it was a truly inspired choice of name for the airport of your "great" city.

chiglet
12th Oct 2003, 02:59
Peeps who put Manch on the "World Map"...Duke of Bridgwater, Alan Turing, Sir Robert Peel [Bury, Greater Mcr], Sir Alliot V. Roe,
a "certain" Messrs Rolls and Royce. I "thoughtt" about "Fairey Engineering", but noo, it's to much:ugh:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
12th Oct 2003, 03:47
Yes I agree about Sir Matt and they could extend Sir Matt Busby Way all the way from Old Trafford to the airport coz they give the airport enough business

And I`m not a Utd fan either but recognition where it is due doesn`t go amiss

Golf India Bravo

AOG-YYZ
12th Oct 2003, 03:58
Isn't every politician "tedious"? But just wait until we open "T-NEW" sixty-million capacity to start, expandable to eightyfive-million and six runways to boot. But a question for you; Which of the four terminals do you find tedious?

When opened in the early sixties, T-1 was state of the art. T-2 was started as a cargo terminal but T-3 is a very good terminal. Open spacious with comfortable shopping and clean restaurants. As good as any in NA and better than all in the UK. T-4 or the "Infield" terminal is similar to Manchester's T-2 only bigger and more modern (just opened) and more comfortable. It will become a charter terminal, when T-NEW is opened. "Charter" in this case to mean sports teams and business charters, not ABC flights or airlines, they will use T-NEW.

Now if we could only get a LRT/subway/rail link. Something TO mayoral candidate, John Nunziata, has promised. But he's a politician and as we all know the last honest man to enter Parliament was Guy Fawkes.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
12th Oct 2003, 05:41
Jesus!! Check your pants!!!

AOG-YYZ
12th Oct 2003, 08:04
Well I did check my pants and they were clean. Are you sure the Gorgonzola cheese smell is not from you own panties?

Now if you have a problem with what I wrote regarding YYZ's new terminal and runways, or the existing ones for that matter, then please articulate it. Unless you're like Caslance and waiting for me to make a spelling mistake so as you can make some brownie points. Is that it?

Frankfurt_Cowboy
12th Oct 2003, 17:31
It's just nice to see someone getting so obviously excited about a bit of forthcoming steel, concrete and glass. And to be honest, my initial comments were directed more at the city of Toronto, where I had the misfortune to work for six months, rather than the airport. I thank you.

Caslance
12th Oct 2003, 18:33
Unless you're like Caslance and waiting for me to make a spelling mistake so as you can make some brownie points. Is that it? AOG-YYZ, perhaps you should have just called it dogsh:mad:t, then.........not that I've so much as seen a dog at Ringway.

It's well-known that you have a personal issue where the City of Manchester is concerned, AOG-YYZ. Time for you to let go and get on with your life, I feel.

Yes...." A V Roe International". I like that, chiglet.:ok:

AOG-YYZ
13th Oct 2003, 08:03
OK Caslance, I suppose your right, I do have an issue with Manchester, not unlike your fixation with all things Liverpool. It does seem to me that you have as morbid and myopic hatred of your neighbouring city as you accuse me of having with Manchester. The difference being, I have given you a reason for my dislike of Manchester.

Caslance, why do you hate Liverpool?

Intersting Frankfurt, just were abouts in Toronto did you stay?

symphonyangel
13th Oct 2003, 14:29
Near Canada there is Councillor Ted Stevens Airport at Anchorage. As its the Councils of Manchester who have made the airport what it is, and still own it, then couldn't it be named after their greatest Councillor.

Caslance
13th Oct 2003, 15:36
Caslance, why do you hate Liverpool? I don't, mate.

Some of my best friends and closest colleagues are Scousers - and you should hear the things that they say about Manchester.....makes you sound like a tourist guide.

It's the same at any gathering composed of Mancs and Scousers - the insults and put-downs fly thick and fast, with no quarter given and no offence taken. It's traditional........

And just where do you think I was to see the damn statue of John Lennon/Mike Harding in the first place........La Paz????

AOG, perhaps you're projecting your own "foibles" onto others and thereby distancing yourself from them? It's not uncommon, you know.

We've had this argument before, and I have no intention of either pandering to your prejudices or justifying myself to you any further.

Apart from owt else, it's very, very deeply boring for all the others.

Anyway - back to the thread..........

Actually, symphonyangel, Ringway (I don't care what they call it - it'll always be Ringway to me) is owned by 10 local councils. Manchester City Council is by far the largest shareholder with 55% and each of the other 9 has a 5% holding.

As for "greatest Councillor", the very suggestion would probably be enough to start a small civil war in these parts........I still prefer "A V Roe International" - it has a certain ring to it.

AOG-YYZ
13th Oct 2003, 22:11
Hey Frankfurt_Cowboy you haven't told just whereabouts in Toronto you stayed for the six months you say you lived here.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
13th Oct 2003, 22:14
Look mate, whatever your wife's told you about that dashing "young" Irishman/Yorkshireman, the kid is not my son!!!

AOG-YYZ
13th Oct 2003, 22:25
Ah yes Caslance, La Paz, capital city of Bolivia and a city I will be spending 4 days in on my way to Callao (Lima) to join the HAL 'Prinzendam' for a 30 day cruise through the South and North Pacific. Visiting General San Martin Island, Easter Island, Pitcairn Island, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Mangareeva, Moorea, Raiatea, Christmas Island, Hawaii (Hilo), Maui, Kauai, Oahu and ending in San Diego.

Wanna join me? I can could let you travel on one of my "Buddy Passes".
:D :D

Big Tudor
13th Oct 2003, 22:30
What about Sir Alex Ferguson International F****** Airport! ;)

Frankfurt_Cowboy
13th Oct 2003, 22:30
Oh Caslance, how can you refuse? 30 days on a boat with Mr exciting! BTW isn't Mike Harding the ROCHDALE cowboy?

Caslance
13th Oct 2003, 23:50
Regrettably, work committments force me to decline your kind offer, AOG, otherwise I would be delighted to visit Easter Island, Maui and Oahu again. ;)

No, Frankfurt_Cowboy, the redoubtable Mr Harding did release a single (anyone remember them) of the song "Rochdale Cowboy" in 1975- a pleasant ditty that celebrates the legendary fondness of the burghers of that good town for C+W music.

Mr Harding himself, however, is a proper Crumpsall kid and therefore a true Mancunian.

Still, no-one's perfect..........:ok:

What about "Ena Sharples International"?

AOG-YYZ
14th Oct 2003, 03:05
Just as I thought Frankfurter, you've probably never even flew through YYZ's airspace let alone lived here.

Hey Caslance, where did you stay when you were on Rapa Nui? How did you get there from the mainland, ship or plane? If by aircraft, what is the name of the airport and what is the first thing you notice when you get off the plane? Can't really miss this thing. Anyone who has been to Rapa Nui by air would readilly understand what I'm talkingt about.

If you've "forgotten" I will e-mail you a picture of it, but if you have been then name the main feature about the capital ***** ***? Can't really help noticeing this feature.

Now Lahaina, Kanaapali, Ioa or Honolulu is for another day, but just to keep you on your toes; What seperates Waikiki, from the rest of Honolulu?

Caslance
14th Oct 2003, 04:09
Nope - not playing your games, AOG.:p

Enjoy your holiday.......

AOG-YYZ
14th Oct 2003, 04:32
I have discounted you too, your just as phony as Frankfurter. You have probably never seen anything other than the grey skies of manchester. I hate dishonesty.

Caslance
14th Oct 2003, 05:12
Sticks and stones, AOG, sticks and stones.........

Now grow up a bit, eh?

Frankfurt_Cowboy
14th Oct 2003, 05:29
Zzzzzzzz, boring AOG. Just boring...... Grow up.

LIGHT TANNING
1st Nov 2003, 02:15
HI

WOT ABOUT NAMING IT AFTER THE ORIGIONAL MANCHESTER AIRPORT

BARTON!!!!!!:} :ok: :8

BRGDS

L.T.:)