PDA

View Full Version : is 6`6inc too tall ?

splatterpuss
22nd Aug 2001, 22:06
im 6`6 tall with a Cpl,etc etc.
i have flowm many types with out a problem,
what about airliners?
please help????????????? :mad:

tom775257
22nd Aug 2001, 22:18
Although still learing to fly, have sat in the left hand seat in a few commercial aircraft (737,767,777)at the gate, no trouble there at 6'5" tall.
From what I have heard the only trouble you will have is getting BA sponsorship, but if you have CPL already, guess it doesn't concern you!
I'm sure a commercial pilot will be able to give you a more relevant answer.
Cheers,
tom.

Dave Incognito
23rd Aug 2001, 07:54
Know a bloke who flys Dash 8s for an Australian regional airline who is 6'7''.

Don't know about the UK but here in Aus there are not any stringent height restrictions.

Have a good one, Dave (6'2'') :)

Checkboard
23rd Aug 2001, 09:14
I am 6' 4" and have no problem, and there are several people taller than me in my airline, so it isn't an issue in the airlines (in Australia anyway).

The RAAF does have a few height requirements as some RAAF cockpits are a bit tight. You also may be wearing a helmet (that adds a couple of inches) and sometimes a parachute. They are also concerned about the survivability of rapid (i.e. ejection seat) egress from the cockpit. RAAF requirements are not stated in standing height, but rather in terms of different body dimensions, height from seat to top of head, length from back to knee in the seated position etc. I made those requirements at 6' 4", some smaller (with differently shaped bodies) have missed out.

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: Checkboard ]

18-Wheeler
23rd Aug 2001, 18:56
6'7" here, and no probs though in the RHS of the 747 I could do with a little more room.
Just don't even start me on bloody Metro's though! :)

4dogs
25th Aug 2001, 09:14
Splatterpuss,

The issue is not one of rules so much as consequences of rules. This is an extract of FAR 25:

"Sec. 25.777 Cockpit controls.

(a) Each cockpit control must be located to provide convenient operation and to prevent confusion and inadvertent operation.
(b) The direction of movement of cockpit controls must meet the requirements of Sec. 25.779. Wherever practicable, the sense of motion involved in the operation of other controls must correspond to the sense of the effect of the operation upon the airplane or upon the part operated. Controls of a variable nature using a rotary motion must move clockwise from the off position, through an increasing range, to the full on position.
(c) The controls must be located and arranged, with respect to the pilots' seats, so that there is full and unrestricted movement of each control without interference from the cockpit structure or the clothing of the minimum flight crew (established under Sec. 25.1523) when any member of this flight crew, from 5'2'' to 6'3'' in height, is seated with the seat belt and shoulder harness (if provided) fastened.
(d) Identical powerplant controls for each engine must be located to prevent confusion as to the engines they control.
(e) Wing flap controls and other auxiliary lift device controls must be located on top of the pedestal, aft of the throttles, centrally or to the right of the pedestal centerline, and not less than 10 inches aft of the landing gear control.
(f) The landing gear control must be located forward of the throttles and must be operable by each pilot when seated with seat belt and shoulder harness (if provided) fastened.
(g) Control knobs must be shaped in accordance with Sec. 25.781. In addition, the knobs must be of the same color, and this color must contrast with the color of control knobs for other purposes and the surrounding cockpit.
(h) If a flight engineer is required as part of the minimum flight crew (established under Sec. 25.1523), the airplane must have a flight engineer station located and arranged so that the flight crewmembers can perform their functions efficiently and without interfering with each other.

[Doc. No. 5066, 29 FR 18291, Dec. 24, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 25-46, 43 FR
50596, Oct. 30, 1978]"

In a broad sense, if a manufacturer was particularly constrained for cockpit space, then you may well find yourself with insufficient room to fit, even with all adjustable seats, pedals etc at maximum extension. What few people mention (tsk, tsk Checkers!) is that a key dimension in the cockpit is the design eye postion ("DEP") which affects how much of the instruments you can see and how much of the real world that you can see.

For example, if you have very long lower body lengths, then the control column may obscure the lower part of the instrumentation, whereas very long upper body lengths may obscure the upper part of the instrumentation as well severely limit your upwards field of view. Most tall people just end up with sore shins and posture-induced lower back pain, depending on the aircraft. Of course, I shouldn't understate the focussing problems that are brought on by having your face closer to the overhead panels.

Notwithstanding, the far greater problem arises from those folks who are "vertically challenged".

flying scotsman
25th Aug 2001, 17:11
6'5" here. A320, BAe 146 and would you believe 2000 hours in wee piston engined choppers!

No problem at all in the airlines. If your going to fly choppers however bring a shoe-horn and some lard to grease your hips!

scotsman