PDA

View Full Version : Garret vs PT-6?

B747 Plumber
9th Oct 2003, 06:49
I was recently on a chartered EMB 110 for many days in West Africa. There was a Flight Mechanic that rode onboard the aircraft. He made a statment that I wanted to follow-up on here. That statement was, "the PT-6 was a much better and more reliable engine than the Garret to operate in the hot and humid enviroment of West Africa. Is that a fair statement? Many thanks in advance!

Jango
10th Oct 2003, 17:08
We have to stop meeting like this ...

My experience in Oman (similar climes to West Africa).

Worked for an outfit that had Dornier 228 with Garrets, always problems in the summer (constant ambient of 45C+) Currently have a Twotter in UAE, similar climate again and the PT6, so far, has not given us any problems this past summer.

I have a South African contact with plenty of experience in this area if you are interested, drop me a line.

B747 Plumber
11th Oct 2003, 05:49
Hi Jango,

I am interested! Post your address or contact me at;
[email protected] Thanks

JETSTREAM KID
26th Oct 2003, 18:44
My experiences are similar to Jango's.
I worked on Garretts in Dornier aircraft in Oman and suffered temp limiting problems during the hot months. There is the possibility that both Jango and I are speaking about the same aeroplane and the engines on that particular machine were probably a bit tired.
I worked on twin Otters and Kingair 200's in Nigeria and had no problems with temperature at all.
Not sure how the larger PT6 types like the -65 as fitted to the Shorts 360 would cope though.