PDA

View Full Version : Ivory Coast

coopervane
9th Oct 2003, 06:47
Anyone got any info as to the state of the Ivory Coast regarding safety, wars, coups or general unrest?

Thinking about a job down there any any first hand info appreciated.

Coop & Bear

Gouabafla
14th Oct 2003, 00:34
Hi,

I'm not a pilot, but I lived in Ivory Coast for twelve years. At one time it was thought of as the most stable country in the region, but the tension was always there under the surface for those who were looking closely enough.

The country is effectively cut in two by the civil war that started just over a year ago. That being said, most of the country is safe enough, as long as you don't do anything stupid. The West, near the Liberia border is scarey. Think three or four times before you go to Man or Danane (shame, they used to be great places to visit with the kids).

If the job is based out of Abidjan, you should be safe enough. The city is not as stable as it was, and you need to keep off the streets when there are demonstrations going on, but the same can be said of many places around the world. Most of my info is out of date or second hand, but if you email me I can try and put you in contact with folks who are living there now.

Treetopflyer
20th Oct 2003, 00:46
Can't agree more with Gouabafla.

I don't know which operator you intend to work for, but business is fairly quiet right now due to the civil war problems. Fightings are going on and off, but they take place in the bush (Man, Daloa, Bouake, Touba, etc...) and Abidjan has been fairly safe except for the demonstrations that you'd better stay away from. But nothing out of the ordinary for Africa...:cool: