PDA

View Full Version : Rotary training?

Tuts
9th Oct 2003, 00:41
Hi there all, I will soon be leaving the Army Air Corps and was wondering if anyone knows how to get the rotary equivelant of CPL? Any Rotary training schools, especially around East Anglia?
What the entry requirements might be? Thank you in advance.
By the way, I am groundcrew, not a pilot so any advice needs to be from a complete newbie to CPL level, not ex-military pilot level to CPL level, thanks.

quidam
9th Oct 2003, 16:06
Tuts,

Hope you've lots of money and patience :)

First port of call would have to be caa website thinks its www.srg.co.uk tat site will give you a list of licencing requirements.

Initially I'd suggest seeing the CAA for your class 1 medical. Can only be done at Gatwick and costs about £400, but if you don't get the medical (which needs renewing annually with an authorised Dr) the flying is pointless.

You have two training routes, integrated or modular. in essence integrated you pay somewhere like cabair a large sum of money, go to them for about 12 months with nothing. earn no wages whilst you study and fly and then hopefully leave with a shiny cpl.

The other option if you need to earn whilst you learn is the modular course.

Start with ppl(h) requiring min of 45 hrs flying.

Then hours build up to 150 hrs. whilst hours building contact a distance learning school (main two are Bristol ground school or Oxford aviation training) study like mad and sit 13 ATPL theoretical exams.

When thats all done a quick 35 commercial course (inc night flying rating) and you have your cpl and then the hard task of finding work as a low hours pilot starts.

There are a lot of bits of small print concerning timescales etc that are too numerous to generalise.

I used BGS for my distance learning. Couldn't recommend them enough passed all first time 90%+ and am shortly to start my cpl :)

Is hard work but great fun.

Can't help with local schools sorry.

Searching this site will bring up lots re exams and exam preparation. Perhaps a similar thread on Rotorheads will get some answers from nearer to you.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific q's.

Good luck

Q

Tuts
10th Oct 2003, 00:39
Thank you very much for your detailed reply, it gave me good insight and I shall definitely be following your links. Thankfully I have just passed my military aircrew medical, so I believe that lasts a year too. I would like to do the 12 months residential course, however I have a wife to support at University, so it all might take a back seat until she starts earning! Anyway, thanks again.:ok:

kissmysquirrel
13th Oct 2003, 16:41
not sure military aircrew medical is valid in the civvy world and how in depth it goes but you may need to check with caa.

PCMM
14th Oct 2003, 00:23
Check your PMs !

PPRuNe Towers
14th Oct 2003, 01:24
Tuts,

As you don't have a full aircrew medical we've got to very strongly recommend you bite the bullet and go for the civilian Class One medical. It can only be undertaken at the main CAA centre.

Yes, you can do the PPL without it but a consequent failure of class one would halt going any further. No matter how fit you are please take this advice seriously. Our private correspondence sadly shows a long history of extremely keen but ultimately disappointed people.

The £400 is but a gnat bite in comparison to what you're planning to spend.

Regards from the Towers
Rob

Tuts
14th Oct 2003, 02:01
Thanks very much guys for all your advice, I have taken it seriously and shall be acting upon it very shortly, I will update on wannabes as to how I get on. Thanks again.