PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Exams for JAR PPL

Trim & Proper
8th Oct 2003, 04:37
hI, I'm currenly revising for Navigation exams (both ground and air) for the Jar PPL and wondered if any of you can give me some much needed tips to enable me to pass the exam?

razzele
8th Oct 2003, 11:34
get a trevor thomms NAV book and a PPL confuser

Send Clowns
8th Oct 2003, 22:50
I agree about the books, though I would suggest using the confuser onl to test yourself once you have read the Thom book.

In the exam you will need to plan a route on a chart, use the flight computer to work out the full details such as headings, groundspeeds, time and fuel. You will then have to answer questions about the route and probably an airfield (with extract from the AIP to interpret), and show knowledge of radio navigation aids.

It is very difficult to tell you how to do any of these things except face-to-face, so work through Thom and ask your instructor to explain or demonstrate anything you have problems with. The flight computer causes confusion, but is fairly straight-forward if soemone shows you. Practice all the techniques, there are questions in Thom but this is where the confuser comes in very handy.

Best of luck!

Send Clowns
Navigation Instructor
BCFT

strafer
9th Oct 2003, 20:56
I actually thought Nav was one of the easiest of the exams. As Send Clowns said you'll need to plan a route but the first 50% of the questions all relate to that route, so if you've done it properly you should score 100% for the that first half. I'd already done quite a few XCs before I took the exam (including my QXC) and although daunting at first, it becomes second nature after a while.

Trim & Proper
14th Oct 2003, 16:45
Hi, I appreciate all the advice, its time to put it into practice...

much obliged.