PDA

View Full Version : Britannia Express sent to Coventry

Flabbawhar
8th Oct 2003, 00:12
Britannia Airways are set to establish a new and separate low-cost operation with Coventry as the initial base. The carrier, based on Britannia's AOC, will commence operations in Easter 2004 with four aircraft, thought to be Airbus.

LTNman
8th Oct 2003, 01:02
Err they haven’t got a terminal!!!!What have you been sniffing????

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
8th Oct 2003, 01:39
low cost mate you park on the M6 near Birmingham and you are then bussed to the aircraft

Golf India Bravo

Flabbawhar
8th Oct 2003, 01:56
To add a little more:

The start-up base is definitely in "the heart of England". BMI-baby and Easyjet must rule out East Midlands and My-lite have Birmingham covered. Coventry has an agenda of expansion but, development would have to be completed by Easter 2004 - an impossible feat?

The type is definitely not B757/767 and the maintenance will not be covered by Britannia main-line which has maintained the TUI 737 fleet - strongly suggesting that the 737 low-cost first choice will not be the chosen type. Airbus need an "in" with Britannia's parent, TUI, with a possible fleet renewal of 90+ airframes. This could well be the beginning of that.

All this aside, this looks like the beginning of the end for Britannia main-line and the excellent terms and conditions offered therein. The management have been itching to attack the pay-scales and pensions and this is where it will start. The carrot of early commands for middle of the seniority list F/Os has been dangled but attached are a few Damoclean swords such as a 5 year type freeze and money purchase pension.

LTNman
8th Oct 2003, 12:00
So it was Coventry with no terminal and short runway now it’s an airport somewhere in the heart of England. Some people think Luton is in the heart of England but some of us including marketing like to think we are close to the Big Smoke but also have the Midlands in its catchment area due to rail and motorway links. Some people down here are whispering that Britannia will choose its home base.;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TightSlot
8th Oct 2003, 15:36
Nobody knows - it's all just guesswork!

G fiend
8th Oct 2003, 15:40
As for the future of BAL 'mainline' look at the post about BAL Ops...they were closed on the 2nd Oct, control is now in the hands of the TUI GOC...

topcat450
8th Oct 2003, 16:14
Coventry is possible, as for not having a terminal..I thought they'd recently done a lot of work on the south side sprucing up their Biz handling, not been inside so dunno what it's like though?

Also in the back of flight for the last few months they've been advertising that 'portable' terminal for sale thats been at Zurich for a while....just ship it over...plonk it down & get people moving through. It's not perfect but it'd work.

TeeS
8th Oct 2003, 16:51
Be serious, it can only be Wolverhampton!! ;)

Mister Slot
9th Oct 2003, 10:46
Let's put an end to all the speculation.

Derek Von Richtoven (CEO TUI Peckham Pty) announced yesterday that the "hub" will be Wellsbourne Mountford. A substantial fleet of A380's will provide feeder services initially from Elstree, Sywell and Popham.

serko
9th Oct 2003, 15:20
Howabout Finningly if they go for an Autumn launch rather than an easter one?

blue up
9th Oct 2003, 16:51
I see that Little Gransdens' grass runway is no longer notamed as u/s. Just maybe............

Just curious, but has anyone bid for "HOE" vacancies yet?

Buster the Bear
9th Oct 2003, 19:38
Now if Sywell get their tarmac runway........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blue up
9th Oct 2003, 23:53
I got excited when I heard from the caterers (they always seem to know first) that it would be on 330s.
One of them has a brother over at Shorts in Belfast;) ;) ;)

Lazlo
10th Oct 2003, 18:52
I find it quite amusing that what is actually mere speculation is presented as absolute "fact" by Flabbawhar. Airbus? Hmmm. Interesting idea. I can understand the thinking behind it. Might want to think again though.

Lazlo

Simon Lumley
13th Oct 2003, 16:40
Travel Trade Gazette magazine said the new Britannia Express start-up would definitely be based at Luton with 2x B737-300s.

But I was surprised considering Easyjet are going to get ever bigger there next year plus Now Airlines are starting in December and there is rumour of Ryanair and Foreign low-cost airlines increasing routes from there next year.

Therefore I thought it will be East Midlands because this is Britannia Airways 4th largest airport taking the winter and summer seasons as a whole, after Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham.

Like MyTravelLite at Birmingham, they will be able to complement there existing services full-service charter flights with its low-cost operation from EMA. In addition, EMA are currently in talks with new airlines to start up new services next year so why not?

Also Britannia's Crew Services are based at EMA so this building could also be used as there UK Head Office for Britannia Express.. So it fits hey.

Regards.

10 DME ARC
13th Oct 2003, 16:51
Simon

Off subject but what do BAL base @ East Midlands summer/winter?

Simon Lumley
13th Oct 2003, 18:18
In the winter seaaons, they usually base 2x Boeing 757.

Just recently in the summer seasons they have based 1x B757 and 1x B767-300 (until end of July) and then 1x B757 (until end of season).

For summer 2004, BY have re-introduced Crete-Heraklion and added extra flights to Ibiza and Las Palmas.

GW76
13th Oct 2003, 21:52
sure EMA is 4th biggest BY base ?, GLA has the same aircraft based and more recently has had 2 x 767-300's based.

TightSlot
13th Oct 2003, 22:21
Betcha my base is bigger than your base...

:O

Flabbawhar
14th Oct 2003, 00:56
Base size? Jesus wept as they crashed straight off topic.

Lazlo, titter away chappie, you don't know me from Adam. Mere idle and inaccurate speculation can confirm that the airbus was a red-herring and that 737s of a peculiar vintage will be winging their way around the skies of Coventry (sans terminal) and then on to fields of golden pig doo-dah.

Good luck to them, I think they might need it.

philbozz
15th Oct 2003, 04:07
Coventry does have a terminal!!!

A brand new GA terminal complete with:

Coffee Shop

what, you wern't expecting a list were you?;)

Buster the Bear
15th Oct 2003, 04:26
So why are Monarch Crown Scheduled recommitting themselves to Luton, do they sense some TUI competition?

Coventry, MY &rse!

Frankfurt_Cowboy
15th Oct 2003, 06:13
Hey Phillbozz, come back on here when it's got a cash machine, a la Bournemouth and then we'll take Coventry seriously.

preston
15th Oct 2003, 09:13
Hi all

Have been looking with interest at this topic!

There are some negative things about CVT being put in here!! far from the positive vibes that there are at CVT. The newly opened GA terminal serves its purpose well for the smaller aircraft.Also the new Warehouse thats been built,With the new handling agent at CVT starting up with all new equipment,Also the year old Business aviation centre!!!
People who are coming to CVT are impressed with changes and improvements that are happening and planned at CVT.

Wil wait and see if any airlines are interested in starting at cvt.Would be good to see though......

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

preston

LGS6753
16th Oct 2003, 03:26
To gain interest from serious lo-co operators you need a coffee shop AND a cash machine AND a bus stop.

When CVT has all three, it should apply in writing with details of its financial incentive package.

That could take a while...

Fly_146
16th Oct 2003, 03:52
People who laugh at Coventry as the next LCO base (other than NOW @ LTN) may be highly surprised in the coming twelve months!