PDA

View Full Version : RAF Aldergrove

Momoman
7th Oct 2003, 23:40
Apparently RAF Aldergrove is being sold lock, stock and barrel. Anyone heard anything?

Neil Porter
8th Oct 2003, 00:24
I heard something last week - basically to do with the Pumas out there..
Apparently they are returning to the UK in the near future - Benson being a Puma base was mooted to be 230Sq new home but aint much room there - so a certain ex RAF station (the airfield part) was being looked at to house them as it is in close proximity to Benson.
Could be a load of B*****ks but..........................

CrabInCab
8th Oct 2003, 03:01
Oh please God, pretty, pretty please.

:sad:

Jobza Guddun
8th Oct 2003, 03:08
A few years ago I heard that Church Fenton had been looked at for an SH sqn, so the N of England and Scottish army units could be more efficiently supported?

Also heard at that time that 5 Regt would move to the RAF side and its area was to be given up to the airport for future projects. Maybe that's why the pan was extended?

Spot 4
8th Oct 2003, 05:16
Momoman:

What are the origins of this optimistic rumour that is without any foundation. For if it is right, people very close to me have had a good dose of mushroom ops. My understanding is that because RAF Aldergrove was in place before the troubles, so will it be after them. Nimrods to Aldergrove gets my vote:ok:

Jobza Guddun
10th Oct 2003, 02:28
"My understanding is that because RAF Aldergrove was in place before the troubles, so will it be after them".

But it was a Maintenance Unit wasn't it?

Take the Helis out of Aldergrove and you've nothing that can't go elsewhere. Even the cabs could go elsewhere if the site was sold off. Ballykelly?

Besides, the place must be going after all that money spent there in recent years......

eastern wiseguy
10th Oct 2003, 08:20
Apparently they are returning to the UK in the near future

Not far to go then since THEY ARE ALREADY THERE !!!! MUPPET!

Paddy Don't Surf
11th Oct 2003, 12:03
Quelle surprise.

72, 230 Sqn ... last in - first out!

:rolleyes:

Hydraulic Palm Tree
11th Oct 2003, 12:46
Paddy

Not quite, its just that it would not be worth bringing 5 Regt back to blighty as there is a perfectly suitable scrap dealer just outside Antrim who has offered £30 each for the Lynx and Gazelles.;)

HPT

Paddy Don't Surf
12th Oct 2003, 02:41
.......... or perhaps somebody has twigged onto the cost effectiveness of 5 RAF crews per airframe and enough flt comds and COs to man the rest of the SH fleet.

CrabInCab
12th Oct 2003, 03:07
That's what's required when your remit extends beyond Nibat 1 PDS!

:ok:

Hydraulic Palm Tree
12th Oct 2003, 03:14
Paddy

I am the man that wrote the 230 Sqn Establishment following the demise of 72 Sqn and I know exactly how many pilots 5 Regt had. Trust me when I tell you that I couldn't get a straight answer from the 5 Regt CO, 2IC or the Sqn OCs, so I just popped into RHQ and counted the names on the boards myself. Made for enlightening reading I can tell you.

Only letting your pilots fly 60hrs a month was just one of the excuses used for having so many. Don't suppose the numbers have reduced now that the maximum monthly hours have increased by a substantial amount!

;) HPT

Paddy Don't Surf
12th Oct 2003, 03:31
YAWN
Whatever you say. Just promise me one thing. When you lot leave, and I sincerely hope you do soon, please, please, please take those meddling, useless, over-promoted, under-utilised atmosphere hoovers known as the RAF Police with you ... and please, please, please take that complete waste of time, space and money known as JHF(NI) too. I hope you enjoy the time off you so clearly deserve ... oh no, you won't. There's no way you can fit 14 weeks leave a year in at Benson, Odiham et al

:yuk:

CrabInCab
12th Oct 2003, 03:45
Sounds like Paddy's got a chip, did maddog say no to you too?

Can't argue with you over the RAFP and JHF(HI) though.

:p

Jobza Guddun
12th Oct 2003, 04:03
You don't need to fit in 14 weeks off a year, PDS. In the RAF we get most of our weekends off instead. Don't you?

That is,we do in between our trips to Las Vegas, Arizona, Alaska, Cyprus and lots of other places with nice hotels. (with apologies to my SH colleagues)

Guess that as long as it's RAF Aldergrove you'll just have to put up with our dearly beloved rozzers. Like we have to put up with punchy drunken noshers.

:}

Paddy Don't Surf
12th Oct 2003, 05:43
Guess that as long as it's RAF Aldergrove we have to put up with punchy drunken noshers ... but it's OK, you'll be gone soon and with you the noshers

you said it :cool:

ZH875
16th Oct 2003, 05:41
How about sending them to Scampton, after all, the dead sparrows do not really need an entire station to themselves. Thier ego only takes up two hangars, the aircraft can fit underneath that in one of them.

They have trimmed the ivy/virginia creeper down on the officers mess building and turned the street lights on.