PDA

View Full Version : When is a window seat not a window seat?

newswatcher
7th Oct 2003, 22:13
I like sitting by a window when I am travelling by air, if only for those rare occasions when the ground emerges from beneath the cloud cover. (Over Saudi is particularly good value!) :ok:

So delighted to be asked my preference, when checking-in for BMI F100 flight LHR-MAN yesterday morning. Was asked if row 22 would be OK. Not familiar with the seating plan for every commercial aircraft, I said that would be fine! Arrived aboard, to find self adjacent to blank wall, not a glimpse of perspex to be seen! :mad:

So please guys, if you don't have a window seat spare, please don't offer it!

Pax Vobiscum
7th Oct 2003, 23:41
I've shared your frustration, newswatcher. Trouble is there are two types of people who request window seats:

a) those like you and I, who prefer a view when we fly; and
b) those who want to sleep and don't want to be woken by people in the window seat squeezing past them to go ... wherever!

White Knight
7th Oct 2003, 23:48
Technically it is a window seat as it's at the side of the aeroplane:cool:

Don't forget though that the ground staff do not have the information about that particular seat being by the non-window bit of fuselage. Even in one airline just one type of aircraft can have several different configs...

Good luck next time. :ok:

PAXboy
8th Oct 2003, 01:47
Yes - been caught like that before, although only on short haul.
Yes - there is little consistency between machines on a fleet, as they are often acquired at sfifferent times, or purchased second hand and so, fitted out to a different 'standard'.

The_Banking_Scot
8th Oct 2003, 02:00
Hi,

I was on row 23 on a bmi F100 on East Midlands to Edinburgh on 24th September ( being used by bmibaby)

No window (22 had a window) so obviously it varies between type.

Of course even with a window you would only probably see the rear engine !!
:)

Regards

TBS

Doors to Automatic
9th Oct 2003, 00:42
The Delta MD-88s were terrible for this. A small rear cabin had four rows of seats, only one of which had a true window view.

Globaliser
9th Oct 2003, 01:04
I understand the frustration, too, but on long haul flights I fall into the category of don't care whether my "window" seat has a window or not. It would be good, if unrealistic, for airlines to have a separate category of non-window window seats, and preferences of "window seat (viewing)" and "window seat (non-viewing)". It might improve my chances on airlines that I don't have a long-term relationship with.

Sharjah Night Shift
9th Oct 2003, 02:26
I travel fairly often on the cheapest tickets or in the case of BA using Air Miles. Despite being one of the first to check in I am often allocated one of these seats so the airlines must have these seats marked on their check in systems. However if I know from a previous flight or a friend who has travelled on the same aircraft type then a polite word with the check in agent often results in another seat allocation.

Once BA allocated me such a seat and could not change it as they said the flight was full, but when the door closed I was able to choose a better seat from a near empty cabin.

VS-075
19th Oct 2003, 17:17
This happend to me last week too. I selected seat 31k when i checked in online Singapore Airlines 777 from Brisbane to Singapore no window just a wall i wish they would show the windows as well on the seat plans.

redcap
19th Oct 2003, 17:36
I used to checkin for Singapore Airlines at LHR
(Few years back now)

The system they use is called Kriscom and it quite clearly shows you where the window seats are and where the windowless window seats are! (you see we had a name for them: windowless window)

So just ask at checkin!:D

BEagle
19th Oct 2003, 21:24
It said on my C-class reservation that I had a window seat (6A) - with window. But when I checked in, found that I'd been re-allocated to a centre seat (2E). No apologies, no explanations, just "Ve do not haff you in this system" from the Ilsa Koch type at the gate when I queried it (although the check-in staff had been very pleasant).

Complained - got 2000 compensation M&M miles. But still no explanation.

Boss Raptor
23rd Oct 2003, 15:46
Been stuffed like that loads of times on the old US Airways DC9's and the newer MD80's (now retired) on connections out of PHL...not nice for 2 or 3 hours especially after 7 hours on the previous transatlantic inbound!

'Window seat' = by a wall between the engines, not pleasant and certainly not what I pre-booked/reserved, unfortunately on the CRS system plans of some airlines (not all) dont show those rows without a window so not the individuals fault as such but more with the airline