PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Visual Acuity

TB_Turkey
7th Oct 2003, 21:16
To any AME's out there:

An extract from:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_JAR_C1_Initial_Visual_Stds.pdf

"The difference in correction between each eye... must not be more than 2.00 dioptres."

Does anyone know if this includes the astigmatism?

Eg a prescription such as: :sad:

Right Sphere: -3.25 Left Sphere: -1.00
Right Cylinder: 0 Left Cylinder: - 0.75
Right Axis: 0 Left Axis: 160

Distance acuity Right: 6/4.5 Left: 6/4.5
Near acuity Right: n5 Left: n5

The corrected vision is -3.25 and -1.75 leaving a difference of 1.5, which should be within limits?

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Oct 2003, 22:54
Hi,

I am not a CAA AME but I don't think that you add those Diopters up like that so think that you are more then 2D out.

The optician should have the CAA guidelines and can probably clarify that for you. Alternatively ring the CAA @ Gatwick and they will give you chapter and verse.

FD

TB_Turkey
7th Oct 2003, 23:40
Cheers Dutch, the optometrist had the JAR guidelines and was unsure what the score was.

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Oct 2003, 23:53
TBT,

I am pretty sure that I am correct but as this is obviously an important issue don't just take my word for it but discuss it with the CAA.

Where is Virginia Waters?

The FAA just requires 20/20 vision.

Would that be an option?

FD

QNH 1013
9th Oct 2003, 02:55
TB T, I think they add half the cylindrical component to the spherical and then look at the difference, so you would be ok on that basis.
Much simpler is to telephone the medical department at Gatwick and ask to speak to them. They can be very helpful, and don't even ask your name. It would probably help if you faxed them a copy of your glasses prescription.
If you want a class one medical they will even arrange it so you just pay for the eyetest part £49??? to see if you pass that rather than pay for the whole £500 ? worth. If you pass the "eyes", then you can let them probe the rest of your body for signs of decay and debauchery .

Good Luck !

TB_Turkey
9th Oct 2003, 20:57
Thanks for the advice - and it has been followed - CAA phoned me back today and the eyesight prescription is within limits. Which is good. Just need to pass all the other nasty inspections...:8

TB_Turkey
4th Nov 2003, 18:07
To complete my post - I'm £411 poorer, but they paased me on the Class 1. Thank goodness that's over. Now for the hard part... :uhoh: