PDA

View Full Version : faa ir then ,jar ir conversion

muck-savage
7th Oct 2003, 06:29
Hi
I want to do my instrument rating at Ari ben Aviator in florida.It will consist of 45 hours on the duchess and no simulators are involved.I am also going to do 100 twin hours on the duchess 50 vfr and 50 ifr

Then I will convert this in england to a jar twin ir

1)Is this a good plan
2)will it take many hours to convert if I'm up to scratch

any other comments welcome

please and thanks

Mucky

Charlie Zulu
7th Oct 2003, 15:31
Hi Mucky,

Why obtain your FAA IR using a twin engine aeroplane?

It'll be hard enough learning all of the new stuff without adding the complexities of the two engines with their variable pitch props, cowl flaps and yes they are still have carburettors on the Duchess's so you will also have carb heats.

Once you pass your FAA IR on a single such as a Piper Warrior etc then go off and get yourself a twin rating. The twin rating will include asymetric approaches in order to allow Instrument privilages. The multi add-on course will be something between ten and fifteen hours depending on ability.

This'll save you quite a lot of money also for some P1 time in a multi engine aeroplane... :-)

Just my two pennies worth.

As for getting up to scratch for the JAA IR. I am just starting my ATPL writtens at the moment, but when the time comes to convert my FAA CPL/IR to the JAA equivalent, I believe it could take something like 20 to 25 hours training for the IR bit, not many people are doing it in the 15 minimum (inc 5 sim) if I am reading posts on here correctly.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

dorosenco
7th Oct 2003, 22:13
Charlie Zulu,

I don't think that Mucky has a choice, that's Ari ben's program. Also, in the US multi time is worth gold, european airlines are not that sensitve to multi time yet.

Mucky,
Yes if your skills are sharp you will be doing just fine for your conversion. Pick a school like BCFT or others that use BE76s in their programs. You need however a minimum of 15 hours of training. Did you pass your ATPLs ?

If you need any additional info on license conversions go to my website www.passion2fly.com link "JAA Conversions".

Good luck.