PDA

View Full Version : Aussies fly F-15E

Runaway Gun
7th Oct 2003, 02:59
Copied from www.f-15estrikeeagle.com

Pair’s historic flight in F-15E Strike Eagle

By 2nd LT Amy Hansen,
3rd Wing Public Affairs.

Two Australian Air Force members on exchange to the United States have made history in the skies over Alaska.

Flight Lieutenant Paul Simmons, a pilot, and Flight Lieutenant Tony Southwood, a Weapons System Officer (WSO), recently took to the skies in an F-15E Strike Eagle – the first time in the history of the Pacific Air Force (PACAF) that a foreign pilot and WSO have flown a US Air Force jet together.

FLTLT Simmons admitted the flight was “fun”, even if the pair turned a few heads before taking off.

“Watching the crew chief’s expression when he finally realised that two Aussies were very serious about taking his jet flying was priceless, and he looked a full 10 years older by the time we got back.”

He said his visit to Elmendorf was significant for a number of reasons.

“To the US Air Force, the first significance of the flight was the fact that a foreign aircrew took a US Air Force fighter jet into the sky and actually brought it back,” he said. “Secondly, the relationship between the US and Australian military is close and this demonstrated the relationship quite clearly.”

Well done boys! ;)

http://www.defence.gov.au/news/raafnews/editions/4418/images/Page06a.jpg

FFP
7th Oct 2003, 03:05
See they nicked someone elses plane for the flight . . . . .bloody Aussies !;)

Seems to be a lot of them flying other people's jets at the moment !!!! ;)

brit bus driver
7th Oct 2003, 05:44
Perhaps we should have made more of an issue when the USAF Exchange Officer and I took a Canadian Airbus to Niagara Falls for the day!

Fox3snapshot
7th Oct 2003, 06:15
I think one of the exchange officers served in the sandpit too, same bus.....and on ops.

Just a rumor though....

:cool:

Good on ya Simmo....a man in his early days that could have just as much fun at the bar as us without a drop of jungle juice....

;)

Had an Aussie through on another US Military type the other day after a brief exchange determined grad dates from Pearce, a Cathay 777 piped up on hearing this and passed on his regards, ex RAAF and graduated in '71'......I think I was about 3 years old then !!!!!

:p