PDA

View Full Version : Prosthetics and medicals

spudskier
6th Oct 2003, 23:04
Knock on wood I have all my parts... but I was watching a show on one of the Discovery channel variants and saw a story about a guy who used to be an airline captain, turned aerobatics/airshow performer... lost both his hands in a car accident.

He got artificial hands, and from the story they seemed to do everything a normal human hand can. then they showed him flying with them! aerobatic maneuvers!

is it possible to get a medical with prosthetic hands?

just a curiosity I had

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Oct 2003, 23:24
Looking at your signature I see that you are based in the US.

Yup the FAA takes a rather pragmatic view on these matters. You will have to do a flight test with an FAA examiner but if you can fly the machine using your prosthesis you are on your way!

FD

trium16
7th Oct 2003, 00:07
Yup the FAA takes a rather pragmatic view on these matters.

Indeed, if it were the (UK) CAA, we'd have a very very different story.

Well done to the Guy, it just shows, you can't keep a good 'un down!

spudskier
8th Oct 2003, 10:21
It was an amazing story, I can't imagine not being able to fly!

Irish Steve
9th Oct 2003, 06:22
for what it's worth, the CAA allowed a thalidomide victim who had no fingers worth talking about to do a PPL a number of years ago (late 80's) , he did his training, and some "extra" requirements at Shoreham around the time I was doing a twin rating there.

He was just at the solo stage when I was there, and seemed to be coping well, despite the limitations he had.

I don't know if he continued flying, or if it was just a "prove I can do this" scenario