PDA

View Full Version : CAA / FAA Visual Field tests

pasty01
6th Oct 2003, 20:59
I was wondering if someone in the FAA fraternity could help me here.

I was denied a CAA Class1 medical in 2001 due to a visual field loss on the periphery of my left eye that i didn't know i had until that day.

In the optometrist's own words, the loss was less than what would be obscurred by the hinge of a pair of spectacles, and their use is permissible.

The doctor suggested I tried the FAA route as he believed I would be succesful with this.

Before I part with yet more cash could anyone advise me on the FAA's visual field requirements and testing for Commercial pilots.

Hope someone can help.

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Oct 2003, 23:22
The visual field test performed for all classes of medical for the FAA is by most AMEs the confrontation test. This is well accepted but is unlikely to elicit small defects.

Your best bet is to approach an FAA AME and be honest with them about what happened, get a properly charted test from a reputable ophtamologist and take that with you. The AME is more than likely happy to contact the FAA in Oklahoma on your behalf and discuss the issue with them.

Main thing is that you are safe and see the bandits coming before you get hurt!

HTH

FD

Lists of FAA AMEs are to be found on the www.faa.gov side; any further matters you want to discuss send me a PM.