PDA

View Full Version : RAF Oxenhope

Bandit in the Sun
6th Oct 2003, 17:24
I was talking to a friend the other day and he mentioned a base called RAF Oxenhope. He dosen't know where it is.

Has any one heard of it?

rivetjoint
6th Oct 2003, 17:44
Was it actually an RAF station or just a private airfield used by them?

Bandit in the Sun
6th Oct 2003, 19:08
Apparently it was an RAF Station.

Somewhere in the north of England.

tony draper
6th Oct 2003, 19:30
Up Bradford way, if Ivan had had Google, we would not have stood a chance.
;)

Bandit in the Sun
6th Oct 2003, 21:35
Tony, do you have any more info?
What was the base used for?

tony draper
6th Oct 2003, 21:42
Err sorry, I just Googled RAF Oxenhope, got quite a few hits, looked at a couple, they didn't mention any RAF station as such, just the place Oxenhope.
Will take another look for you.

Here yer go

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oxenhope by David Howarth
Oxenhope is a small village located pretty much at the head of the Worth Valley in 'Bronte Country', West Yorkshire. The airfield is a private strip adjoining a caravan park and is located atop a steep hill.

Download oxenhope.zip (47KB)

The only mention I could find of a airport was on a FS 2000 scenery website,see above one can download it apparently
Perchance it is just a virtual airport?

With google its the way one words the question that counts

:rolleyes:

Echo 5
6th Oct 2003, 22:35
Bandit,

Just checked out Jeeves and found " Cark Airfield " near Oxenholme which is up near Barrow in Furness. It was built as a Fighter base at the start of WW2.
Just looked a bit deeper and it does mention RAF Cark which was home for, amongst others, No 1SPTU (Special Pilots Training Unit).
Could this be what you are looking for ?

steamchicken
6th Oct 2003, 23:02
Oxenhope is a village in the Worth Valley behind Keighley, West Yorkshire, and is the terminus of the Keighley & Worth Valley railway. It's on top of a hill and there is no RAF base there (I guarantee!) and I doubt greatly that there ever was. (PS I was brought up not far away) There is however a farmer with a grass strip up there.

Oxenholme - other side of the Pennines, considerably further north, where the railway used to branch off for Windermere.

Negative 'G'
7th Oct 2003, 02:43
Steam chicken's right about everything regarding Oxenhope near Keighley, It does have a small grass strip(400m) with no fuel facilities etc... so I doubt its ever been used by the Mil..........but then again theres no Landing fees so nothing would surprise me:D

Neg G

Bandit in the Sun
7th Oct 2003, 07:44
Thanks guys for trying. Yeah must have been Oxenholme then that my friend was refering to. It does sound like Oxenhope.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
7th Oct 2003, 13:56
Oxenhope - 53 48N 01 55W, POL 065/07, OS SE047351, 4nm SSW of KEIGHLEY

Runways - both grass 11/29 450m, 06/24 250m

Elev 1150'

Don't know about its previous life but it does have an old control tower.

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&x=404637&y=435203&width=500&height