PDA

View Full Version : Central Flying School Contract

Fatigue
6th Oct 2003, 02:49
Does anybody know anything about the contract that Bristows, SERCO, has, teaching the armed forces helicopter training?
I have heard that it is soon up for bid and Bristows, Boeing, and another unknown American company have put in bids on it.
Anyone know when the current contract is due to change/end?

Keep the blue up and the brown down.....

Spot 4
6th Oct 2003, 04:15
Central Flying School (helicopters) is and always has been a military staffed sqn (Aircrews anyhow).

Why do you need to know? It is a bit direct for someone who only registered today and smacks of nosey journalism.

If you want to know about the Defence Helicopter Flying School, then why not ask them. Suggest you find out who exactly has the contract at the moment first though.

If it is the 10 year contract that I thought it was, then it is not up for grabs for a little while yet.

Fatigue
6th Oct 2003, 06:57
Thanks for your direct comment, been reading PPRUNE for ages but forgot my old password as I never logged in......So, made a new one today, and I am not a journalist, never been a journalist and have no connections with journalism......Have been a pilot for 14 years, Thank you.

chris@wda
6th Oct 2003, 22:44
If I remember rightly, DHFS Shawbury has all its aircraft, and some of its pilots provided by a company called FB Helicopter Services, and the rest of its pilots are serving instructors.

I don't think FB have had the contract all that long, so I doubt its up for grabs yet. May be wrong though!!

Spot 4
7th Oct 2003, 01:26
The company is FBH which is part of the Bristows Group. DHFS started in 1997 and I am pretty sure that it is a 10 year contract. They also have sufficient hardware (simulators) to make it pretty unlikely that they will be beaten in a future tender war.

I have heard no rumours that the time is nie (sp?) for a new deal. Must be due a Navy Commandant about now, but I have heard a rumour that the next Stn Cdr will also be Comdt DHFS. Canberra dunker I am told. How did the song go: Woof, Woof, Bang, Bang, Splash, Splash: Now I am showing my age:E

detgnome
7th Oct 2003, 23:33
FB Heliservices Ltd currently hold the contract at Shawbury, The Company was originally formed between Bristows, Flight Refuelling and SERCO and is now in its third iteration, name and company tie. I believe that Bristows are the major owner; certainly a lot of the support is from Bristows HQ at Redhill. As stated the contract began in 1997, but I believe that it is for 15 years - I suppose to offset the cost of the 9 (now 11) Griffins and some 26 (I think) Squirrels. 40% of the instructors are civil, although the way the contract is written, they are all ex military QHIs. A proportion of the Squirrels are allocated to CFS(H), although none of the flying staff are civilian (to my knowledge). The company is also running the contract, arguably less successfully, for the 4 Griffins in Cyprus.

EESDL
8th Oct 2003, 00:22
Shawbury website has it all!!

Fatigue
8th Oct 2003, 00:43
Thanks everyone for your help, it was much appreciated.

Keep the blue up and the brown down