View Full Version : Credit Card Sized Licences - Why Not?

Wing Root
5th Oct 2003, 15:21
Now that we are going to have FAA style airspace and FAA style regulations, may I suggest that we have the more logical and secure plastic credit card sized licences that the FAA has just introduced. (http://www2.faa.gov/apa/pr/pr.cfm?id=1762)
I have no idea why we are conforming to some ICAO standard when it means I need two pages in my licence folder listing abbreviations, a page of ICAO differences, two blank pages, another blank page in the medical section and one more wasted as a cover page for the medical section. To top it all off the ink smears and sticks to the plastic sleeves and the pages stick together.
I refuse to believe that there isn’t enough room on a smaller licence. Especially when the new Part 61 regs are introduced which include “Multitude of endorsements currently required for single pilot aircraft to be replaced by four (possibly six) class ratings.”
You could also make the pilot licence have the same security requirements and entitlements as the ASIC by introducing a security check as part of the pilot licensing process.
So, what is wrong with a credit card licence?

currawong
5th Oct 2003, 18:08
Has anyone noticed, that when you add an endorsement, CASA just sends out a complete new license with the new endorsement on it?

So, one can be left with several VALID licenses. Spares, if you will.

Wondering what to do with my "spares".

Sit on them for a rainy day? Sell them? Donate to a needy cause, perhaps?

Whoever thought this scheme up is straight out of a Coogan cartoon.

I'm with you Root. Bring on/back the credit card.

ControlLock
5th Oct 2003, 18:23
Here we go again!

Paper, plastic, paper, plastic, paper, ???????

bush mechanics
5th Oct 2003, 19:23
Ive still got both!!

Rich-Fine-Green
5th Oct 2003, 19:37
Paper, plastic, book.........

Just hang on to your current licence and wait a few years;

It will come back into vogue sometime. :rolleyes:

I think I have a collection of three or four styles and I'm not too ancient!.

Ace on Base
6th Oct 2003, 04:34
Plastic booklet, credit card style, something that resembles a hard cover novel, Yup, checklist compete - I too still have all three.:ok:

Its just impossible to put the latest one into your top pocket. Still carrying the old credit card one for that reason. The book style just sits in the office collecting dust :sad:

TopperHarley
6th Oct 2003, 06:58
My plastic licence says its validity is "perpetual" - I cant wait to show it to casa for my next ramp check

Ash767
6th Oct 2003, 08:42
I still have my Plastic licence. I say bring back the plastic card, it's much easier to carry around then the current "paperback novel" we have.

Ash767:D

cjam
6th Oct 2003, 11:09
Currawong, donating them to a needy cause is very noble and will ensure you plenty of good karma in the next life. I am, of cause, feeling very needy and could probably do with some of your ratings!

CurtissJenny
7th Oct 2003, 09:00
So the FAA has just introduced a credit card sized Airmans Certificate as they call them ?

Go back to about 1995 or thereabouts and the FAA stand at Oshkosh were issuing a plastic credit card sized complete with a photo of yours truly on it. The card was marked as a sample and the understanding was that it was the prototype of new Airmans certificates soon to (then) be issued.
My previous paper Airmans Certificate was taken from me in trade for the plastic card.

Fast forward to the year 2002. I was in the US of A and called in at the local Flight Standards District Office wanting to add a rating to my US licence.
By now I had been re-issued with a paper licence and when I showed the FAA people both the paper licence and the plastic card the response was 'Where did you get this plastic card licence ?'

'From you', was my reply.

'Never seen one like this before' was their comment.

Not sure about that photo but it sounds like the FAA might have turned the licence issue back to 1995.
What all this shows is that it is possible to issue a plastic card the size of a credit card complete with a photo of the holder on it.

If ICAO currently prefer a paper licence then maybe ICAO should change its requirements in line with the changing world aviation security situation and require plastic card licences complete with photo ID.

GA Driver
7th Oct 2003, 09:10
I aksed why we were moving away from the credit card type when I first received my paper licence.

I was told that anywhere offshore you tried to use you licence, there was a faint scoff behind the counter and a comment along the lines of "...sorry, we don't take credit cards here only pilots licences!":rolleyes:

GA Driver
:ok:

flyby_kiwi
7th Oct 2003, 11:12
Not sure about the aussie ones but for NZ: How bout one that looks a bit more 'professional'. When you send away for a licence you sign the application form in a little box and this little box is then cut out and glued to the back of what is then your licence :yuk:

I think I could make a licence like this from materials around my house if I wanted too :uhoh:

compressor stall
7th Oct 2003, 11:23
Was hiring a 172 from a flying school in a cold mid atlantic country and got faint scoffs and curious stares at my credit card licence.

CS

dogcharlietree
10th Oct 2003, 13:33
Received my new plastic credit card sized FAA licence today.
Very nice. It is a greeny mauve colour - sorry color - with a hologram of the FAA seal.
No photo of licence holder on it :-(

Sheep Guts
10th Oct 2003, 21:41
I think they should bring back the Credit Card licence. Allthough I dont mind the fact you can carry all your records in one book at the moment.

When I got my Students back in 1984 it was the "little green book", and everything back then was free The VFG, charts etc. Notes and study guides from the DCA. I also got my RPPL and PPL on the same fromat. Then in 1989, they changed to the Card Licence with paper Medical cert. same size. I didnt mind this it was more portable in ones wallet.

The one I have here in Jamaica has a little photo of me on its Credit Card size and also has a seperate medical cert. They also give you a Credit Card size pouch for it. Works fine I think.

My New Zealand Licence is different again. its Credit CARD size nor is it Little Green book size. I only have the Licence I have got the medical for it yet dunno what it looks like.

Oh continuing on Australia, the credit Card Licence was just abandoned in 1999 I believe and we have the "Little Green Book"
again.

Why all these changes and tooing a frowing between mediums?
Well me wonders to think that CASA still has bored people , without windows in their offices.:p

Regards
Sheep

currawong
11th Oct 2003, 11:33
Think the old green book upset some people.

They were issuing them with the nationality space filled out as "British".

Some wag in the DOT or DCA with a sence of humour. Or maybe someone with no clear idea of where they were.....

Deaf
13th Oct 2003, 09:51
There was an announcement some months back that there would be photo licences issued. Any more on that or is a high level indepartmental commitee still meeting regularly to decide the colour.

flyboy-nz
13th Oct 2003, 12:41
I think one standard for all would be nice .. I meen maybe I should scan some logos onto my old Work ID and start handing it out when needed .. You think anyone would notice ? ;)