PDA

View Full Version : a white guy's chances with SAA Cadet program

RUDAS
4th Oct 2003, 21:16
Im 22 and am doing a law degree.at the end of this year im doing my PPL,then finishing my degree at the end of next year so i'll be 23.Im CRAZY about aviation,its my life.Anybody know what my chances with SAA's Cadet pilot scheme are,as i'm a white male and we aren't exactly the most popular subspecies in the job market here in SA.What are the requirements? what about the racial quotas i've heard about? am i just wasting my time applying? also, how often do they have intakes of cadets?

Any advice would be really appreciated.:hmm:

SortieIII
4th Oct 2003, 22:24
Your chances are as good as any other white guy. Don't do more than 60 hours while doing your PPL. Those with more than 60 hours flying experience are automatically disqualified. Not sure about number of courses per annum. If you are finishing your degree this year, apply now - what have you got to lose? Your legal training will stand you in good stead if accepted! Good luck!!

5th Oct 2003, 00:33
You sound like me and my mates: only it was 20 years ago! And I thank my lucky stars that I loved aviation back then as much as I do now.

I hope for everything that you make the SAA scheme because it's a fantastic airline to work for! The place is filled with great teachers, huge pilots and wonderful buds! If you don't; (sh!t) just keep going. If you really want flying to rule your life, it will. For the life of you (and any other aviators) just bend any way required to make it work. The opportunities arrive just when you least thought they might. And cock that "white" bollocks mate, the world is bigger than that, and so are you!!! :)

Good luck mate! :ok:

WildFrequency
5th Oct 2003, 16:38
RUDAS,

Checkout today’s (5 October) Sunday Times, Career Section. There is another advert for the SAA Cadet Scheme with all the requirements listed. Best of Luck.

4HolerPoler
5th Oct 2003, 19:00
Great post 26.9 - my sentiments exactly.

Give it your best effort, because that's what it's going to take.

4HP

B Sousa
5th Oct 2003, 22:30
For someone starting out in this day and age. You had better maintain a Positive Attitude because the world is full of Unemployed Experienced Pilots. Take the cannot from your vocabulary and be prepared to eat a lot of Nandos.
It Can Be Done.....
As to the Black/White thing just remember that Mugabe/Imbecki have White Pilots.....for now.......which has to say something.

saywhat
6th Oct 2003, 18:05
There are lots of unemployed lawyers out there too. It is no more difficult to get employment in aviation than in any other career. Most importantly, the one thing you can be assured of is that if you dont apply you have 100% chance of not being accepted.

6th Oct 2003, 18:59
Sure they have quotas at Spoories and yes it has raised more than its share of concerns about their employment tactics, but I still think there is a realistic chance of you getting into the program even if your white. Show them how motivated you are. If you dont make the cadet program, you'll get into spoories later if you go through the steps of obtaining your own license and furthering your own career, like so many have done before you.

Good luck

PS. I heard a song the other day about the absurdity of affirmative action and political correctness. The best gender/colour to be these days is: female, black and handicapped:confused:

RUDAS
6th Oct 2003, 23:15
Thanks to all of you who replied,i was under the impression that i had no chance with SAA.It was great to get your advice!

Do any of you know what a person's chances would be if he was to go it alone,do the Full CPL and get experience through the smaller operators,and then,after say getting 1500 hrs,applying to SAA for a position? generally how long would it take to get to that situation?:confused:

B Sousa
7th Oct 2003, 00:37
If the cadet things does not work for you, you may have to do just that if you want to fly. It takes some time and lots of money. There are certain schools that will take you from wanting to fly to ATP. Just heed the advice of others in NOT PAYING ALL up front and check the school reputation. In some countries you can also check on how financially sound the company stands.
Then be prepared to work cheap until you build up time. Always pounding on doors until someone says OK your hired....
Your looking at a few years for sure.

29chev
7th Oct 2003, 10:54
I heard SAA is getting more Airbus... is this true?
Also do they hire experinced direct entry pilots?
and last does anyone have a number or prefer a email direct to flight ops?
Thanks for any help.
Hack2