PDA

View Full Version : Why Do I Need An Instructor?

Zlin526
4th Oct 2003, 19:16
Most will have seen this short vid clip, but for those who haven't, this is what happens when you think you know how to fly a helicopter, but you havent got a license. It's OK, the 'pilot' walked away from it.

I have to hand it to you rotorwing types, hovering is the hardest thing I have ever done in aviation (apart from finding funding for an ATPL!)

HUGHES 300 CRASH - CLICK HERE (http://www.chatel-ski.com/helocrash.wmv)

Quite a big file, but worth the wait. I laughed so much it hurt

Z

trimpot
4th Oct 2003, 21:54
He He He He He He He He!!!!!:E

Vortex what...ouch!
5th Oct 2003, 00:44
Have to say I do giggle everytime I see that clip. What a TW@T.:O

rwm
5th Oct 2003, 21:00
Too much dollars, not enough sense!

B Sousa
5th Oct 2003, 22:07
Looked like me when I started off on my first flight (Hiller UH-12). Next I heard was the Instructor saying. "I Got It"....
Look at it positvely. He Took off, flew, landed and walked away......Now he can go buy another Helicopter.
I would certainly like to know if this is seriously a guy with no instruction. I just cant believe anyone is that stupid.....

GOINGIN
6th Oct 2003, 03:36
HAD TO BE A YANK,BRILLIANT

blave
6th Oct 2003, 11:20
I think you'll find if you peruse US-based helicopter/aviation sites that we're not quite as prone to insulting folks from another country.

But then, maybe you were trying to be humorous - it's hard to tell, since this is your first post.

Dave Blevins
San Jose, CA

B Sousa
6th Oct 2003, 12:47
Goingin Writes: "HAD TO BE A YANK,BRILLIANT"

Yep it probably was, as were the Wright Brothers, Rickenbacker, Lindberg, Chuck Yeager, John Glenn and all those other guys you try to imitate.

buttline
6th Oct 2003, 18:08
Goingin,
As a fellow Brit who lived in the U.S. for several years, I find you very embarrassing. You've probably never even left Lancashire but think you know what a country of 250 million is like just because you watch television.

If you want to be rude about the French though, well..... I guess that's ok.... ;)

Heliport
6th Oct 2003, 19:37
GOINGIN

Rotorheads is an international forum to which American pilots make significant and valued contributions.
If your first post was an attempt at humour, it failed miserably.
If it was serious, I think you (and we) will be much happier if you find another site.

Heliport

RDRickster
7th Oct 2003, 02:08
I think the video was previously discussed on the Talk Down a Heli (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100288&highlight=ntsb) thread, but here is the NTSB Report (http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001213X30727&key=1)...

NTSB Identification: LAX87LA190
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 35617
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, April 26, 1987 in RUBIDOUX, CA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 2/17/89
Aircraft: HUGHES 269B, registration: N101DN
Injuries: 1 Minor

A HUGHES 269B WENT OUT OF CONTROL AND COLLIDED WITH THE GROUND DURING A T/O TO A HOVER. THE PILOT HAD PURCHASED THE AIRCRAFT RECENTLY AND WAS LEARNING TO FLY IT. HE WAS SCHEDULED FOR HIS FIRST FLIGHT LESSON ON THE DAY OF THE ACCIDENT. THE CFI REPORTED THAT HE HAD TOLD THE STUDENT PILOT TO WAIT FOR HIM AND NOT TO TOUCH ANYTHING. WHILE WAITING FOR THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR, THE NON ROTORCRAFT RATED STUDENT PILOT STARTED THE AIRCRAFT, RAN IT UP TO FULL RPM, AND THEN BEGAN TO INCREASE THE COLLECTIVE PITCH CONTROL. THE HELICOPTER CLIMBED VERTICALLY TO A HIGH HOVER AND THE PILOT LOST CONTROL. THE PILOT STATED THAT HE HAD NOT RELEASED THE CYCLIC FRICTION BEFORE BECOMING AIRBORNE. THE PILOT INDICATED HE HAD ABOUT500 HOURS OF FLIGHT TIME BUT DID NOT SPECIFY THE TYPE AND NO SUBSTANTIATION OF THE TIME COULD BE MADE.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

DIRECTIONAL CONTROL..NOT MAINTAINED..DUAL STUDENT
JUDGMENT..POOR..DUAL STUDENT
VERTICAL TAKEOFF..UNCONTROLLED..DUAL STUDENT
INSTRUCTIONS,WRITTEN/VERBAL..DISREGARDED..DUAL STUDENT

slowrotor
7th Oct 2003, 02:18
RD,
It's interesting how the NTSB almost always gives some awkward probable cause report. Why can't the NTSB form a normal complete sentence?

RDRickster
7th Oct 2003, 02:22
I.. NOT.. FIGURE.. OUT, EITHER ;)

GOINGIN
7th Oct 2003, 03:53
JUST BEING LIGHT HEARTED

Hilico
7th Oct 2003, 04:02
G-D HLP US ALL F THT'S BNG LT-HRTD

Am I the only one who gets 'cannot connect to server' when clicking on the link?

I remember - oh how I remember - my first attempt at a hover in an R22. So that's what the teeter stops do (chatter to you through the airframe). Ten hours (and ten years!) later, I am given control on the first calm day for months. "Woah, woah Steve, why are you moving the cyclic? I've got it. Now, take it back and don't move it." I didn't move it. The a/c stayed exactly where it was. Ummm...huh?