PDA

View Full Version : new glasses wearer!

activewaypoint
4th Oct 2003, 14:27
Hi there. I've just got to the point where I have to have corrective lenses for flying. The first pair had a distance correction and a bi-focal bit which I can see the panel perfectly through and they're ok for reading.
I got new ones where the bi-foc part was stronger so I can no longer use that part to see thepanel. However the distance part (the upper part of the lens) is making the panel very slightly out of focus. Mmmm, would vari-focals be the thing to try? Maybe I should just insist they make them just like the first pair where I sacrifice a little bit of the reading strength so I can see the panel through the lower lens and still read the charts.

Dufwer
4th Oct 2003, 15:25
activewaypoint, I may stand to be corrected on this but I believe varifocals are not allowed. This is the info I have from my atpl manuals. The only reason I remember this is that I wear glasses myself and I'm trying to decide how best to approach my ir training. Wearing glasses intended for distance viewing won't do my eyes much good while concentrating on the panel. Do you find bi-focals practical?

Regards
D

Whirlybird
4th Oct 2003, 18:08
I had the same problem - needing glasses for both distance and near vision and not being used to them. Varifocals ARE allowed, though the CAA doesn't recommend them (particularly for helicopter pilots). I tried them and found them awful, but I needed to know how far above the trees I was when approaching a confined area, and you f/w guys don't do that. Some people find them fine, and that includes helicopter pilots who are used to them. I'm just about getting used to bifocals, but I had to fiddle about a bit to get the close-up bit exactly where I wanted it; it helps to have an optician who's used to dealing with pilots. I don't have a problem seeing the instruments (yet :( ) , but I believe it's possible to get "tri-focals" (not sure if they call them that), with different bits for closeup, distance, and instruments, so that might be the way to go.

I expect someone who knows far more than I do will post and give you some more detailed advice, but I hope this is useful for now.

activewaypoint
5th Oct 2003, 11:38
thanks for that, yes I've found bi-focs just fine in the short time I've been using glasses. It's just that these new ones are too strong in the reading bit and so make the panel out of focus. Aaaaarg, its a b...stard getting old innit!:sad:

QNIM
13th Oct 2003, 15:22
Hi Active
I have had to wear the bloody things for years then due coarse Bi-Focals then my optometrist talked me into Multi-Focals about 6 years ago, not fun for the first few days but next best thing to young great vision. I can focus on anything from 6 inches to infinity just by moving my head which I do without thought.
Hope that helps. Cheers Q

HotDog
13th Oct 2003, 15:52
I have been wearing multifocals since turning fifty. Nearly threw them out at first but they are great once you get used to them. HKG CAD had no objections. You still have to pass your medicals and if you can read the eye chart and the little book, you are OK.

QNH 1013
13th Oct 2003, 17:03
I can confirm that the CAA does allow varifocals providing you have adapted well to them. I wear varifocals and have a JAR class one.

Some people never adapt to varifocals. Others, like me, have no trouble at all. I am not exagerating when I say I've never had a problem with them.

Some people adapt to contact lenses easily. I can't even imagine putting them in. Just the thought of them makes me feel squeamish.

Its an odd world. Thank goodness we're not all the same.