PDA

View Full Version : Bi lateral Hearing aids

aztruck
4th Oct 2003, 03:16
I recently met a current Skipper who was wearing Hearing Aids in both ears and had no problem passing his Class One.
He explained that his progressive hearing loss(due to noise and age) had become bad enough that he took matters into his own hands and just went ahead and got them fitted.
He said that the improvement was amazing and there were no adverse effects in practice.
According to his AME, the CAA now take the view that, under JAR, anything like this which enhances Flight Safety is a good thing.
I agree, and see no difference between this and someone enhancing their eyesight with spectacles.
Opinions or info from any informed sources?

VFE
4th Oct 2003, 03:40
You gonna order one then Aztruck? Sounds a good idea to me. If I hear something I don't wanna hear I can kop a deaf'un by citing technical problems....... then again, apparently I already do that. :rolleyes:

Do you have a link to these hearing aids? I like most still have an image of some guy with a walkman size box strapped to his chest with horrible brown wrap around plugs over his lugholes. I have a feeling the reality these days would be far more descreet. If they look okay I might consider investing.

VFE.

aztruck
4th Oct 2003, 05:16
I've got me big strap on ANR's mate(batteries not included)! The other day job gets 30db plugs buried nice and deep!
Seriously though, I had no idea that the chap was wearing them, they fitted inside the ear canal and he said something about £3,000...at which point I said...WHAT? They are digital and are precisely tuned to enhance the frequencies that you are deficient in. I'm afraid I dont have any further information.

henry crun
4th Oct 2003, 16:40
VFE, check your email.

Sagey
4th Oct 2003, 18:01
My grandfather had small hearing aids fitted at some expense, he believes that the firing of artillery during the WWII damaged his ears. However, they didn't work for him and he now uses the more conventional hearing aids wrapped around the ear. I don't know if they were digital, I imagine hearing aid technology changes quite quickly!

Interesting point though

Sagey

mono
6th Oct 2003, 20:41
Not a pilot but an engineer in the UK.

I have just started to wear a disposible aid supplied by a national chemist chain. It costs a fraction of the normal digital aids (actually only £80), lasts 2 1/2 to 3 months and uses digital technology. It is discrete, fitting right inside the ear canal, and is far superior to my old over the ear type aid I used to use. It also means I no longer have to keep changing batteries (this can be a very high cost with private digital aids as the NHS will not provide them.

The biggest advantage however is that I am not stuck with an obsolete aid in a years time. Any advances in in technology can be incorporated into my next aid which will still only cost 80 quid.

As an aside my current aid was bought over 5 months ago and is still going strong.