PDA

View Full Version : Class II age bands and medical validity

jezbowman
3rd Oct 2003, 23:30
Can anyone throw any light on this? My mate has just applied for her PPL and had her application refused because her medical has run out. She had a medical at age twenty-eight and that was issued for five years (as she was under thirty) but now the CAA claim it ran out when she was thirty-two.

It kind of makes sense, as over thirty you need a medical every two years, but the original was issued for five (becuase while under thirty it should be issued for five years). It was due to expire in 2004.

Who's made the mistake, the doctor? Is he liable if the CAA make a case of a pilot flying P1 without a valid medical? Or is the flying school liable?

She now has to get a Class II renewal before they can issue the license and can't get an appointment before early November - d'oh!

Evo
3rd Oct 2003, 23:38
I appear to have a similar problem, although not just yet...

My class-2 was issued in December 2001, seven months after my 27th birthday, and the expiry date on the medical is in December 2006. When do the CAA claim it ran out - on her 32nd birthday?

jezbowman
4th Oct 2003, 00:01
Exactly. The medical month was August and her bday is September. Her 32nd was September 2002, which is when the CAA claimed it has expired.

Evo
4th Oct 2003, 00:26
When I had my medical done I asked about this, and was told by my AME that it was 5 years from medical issue - so even if it was the day before my 30th it would be valid for five years. Bit worrying that he got it wrong, because i could easily have been flying without a valid medical for seven months :{

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Oct 2003, 00:56
If your mate would have had her medical when she was 27 it would have been valid for 5 years until she turned 32.

The maximum validity is 5 years or when you get to 32 as when you come into the next age band (30-49) your medical is valid for 2 and not 5 years.

HTH

FD

Evo
4th Oct 2003, 01:04
So the expiry date on my medical should be April 2006 (my 32nd birthday) and not December 2006, right? Wonder how many AMEs are unaware of this, and how many 32 year olds are flying without a valid medical...:*

Found it...

Straight from the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_Med_Cert_Expiry_Dates.pdf)

jezbowman
4th Oct 2003, 01:49
Interestingly dated September 2003, wonder what the change was?

So she's been flying P1 for a year without a valid medical (she just turned 33 last month). Don't know what the CAA are going to do about it - but the AME screwed up.

Thanks for the information...:ok:

shortstripper
6th Oct 2003, 01:22
My class 2 is due early next month. As a 38 year old will I need a ECG this time? or next, which is two months after my fortieth?

IM

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Oct 2003, 02:14
Not now.

As the next one is within 6 months of your 40th B'day you will just do it then.

HTH

FD

amyt
6th Oct 2003, 20:27
I'm in this situation and so it looks like I need to get a medical done. What's confusing is that I have a 'legal' bit of paper saying my medical is due in 2005. Interestingly, it says the ECG is required at AGE 40Y. Now why didn't they put AGE 32Y for the next medical exam rather than 2005? And it was issued by the CAA at Gatwick, not a 'provincial' AME so you assume they are totally on the ball.

I also have a Class 3 medical from 1999 (and a UK PPL). My understanding is that it is still a valid medical until it expires. It expires in 2004 (when I'm 33) and the info in it states that its validity period for PPLs under 40 is 5 years.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks.