PDA

View Full Version : Cadet pilot programme from Dragonair

jontyrhodes
3rd Oct 2003, 21:29
Do anybody know if Dragonair is interviewing people for the programme? The advertisement was on the webpage in August and I have sent in my application form but there's no reply........

ChaSewBow
3rd Oct 2003, 22:19
August was just over a month ago. It might be a little too soon to expect a reply.?

I would like to apply for this aswell, but want to wait and see if I've made Stage 2 for the Cathay Programme.

Should I apply now anyway? or does that show I'm not 100% committed to Cathay, for which I really am.

jontyrhodes
5th Oct 2003, 01:33
Hey, Chasewbow. You said you went to the interview on 2/10. I went on that day too. May be I have seen you at the Cathay City.

Do you study overseas? If you study in Hong Kong, then the IQ test should be easy for you since you have done something similar in your primary school. How did you do in the aptitude test?

ChaSewBow
5th Oct 2003, 02:00
Hi, I was that Eurasian guy. I went to school in Hong Kong, but went to an ESF school. Had never come across those IQ tests before until the Cathay Interview.

The Aptitude test was ok I thought. Not easy, but not too difficult.

Anyway, good luck with your results and any call backs you get. :ok:

jontyrhodes
6th Oct 2003, 00:04
Hope you good luck too

mrben
7th Nov 2003, 18:47
jontyrhodes, have you got a reply from Dragonair yet?

I sent my application in end of September and haven't heard from them yet.

jontyrhodes
9th Nov 2003, 22:59
Not yet heard anything from DragonAir yet. How's your progress in Cathay, mrben?

mrben
12th Nov 2003, 16:30
I got rejected. I'm quite surprised as to why I was rejected so early on. I must of had a really bad interview. What sort of answers were we supposed to give at the interview. I felt I did little wrong.

BlueEagle
12th Nov 2003, 20:19
It is a real bummer when you get knocked back from an interview, especially if you think you have given a good account of yourself. It has happened to just about everyone in aviation today.

Now you have to prepare yourself for your next attempt! You must think positive even if you are feeling like ****e. Did you answer all their questions 100% truthfully or did you give them answers you thought they might want to hear? very, very important to ensure that you give truthful answers. You say you thought you did little wrong, well, that could suggest you tailored your answers to what you thought they wanted to hear? Big mistake! . It is all part of the learning curve of interview technique.

The fact that you were invited to an interview is a big positive, many are called but few are chosen so don't give up, just use this experience as a learning experience and be a little bit better prepared for the next interview, which, if you take the bull by the horns and persist, will surely come your way.

Best of luck.

jontyrhodes
12th Nov 2003, 22:49
You are very right, blueeagle. I also think that telling the interviewers the truth is the most important. But of course, there are different ways of telling the same thing. You can make it look better or worse.

mrben
12th Nov 2003, 23:53
Thanks for the reply and encouragement.

On reflection, I probably did tailor my answers more towards what I thought they wanted to hear rather than what was really on my mind, but I didn't give any answers which were lies or fibs. It's just that with certain questions I don't think you CAN answer completely truthfully because it would do more harm than good.

For example;
Interviewer: Why do you want to become a pilot?
Me (answer): Because I have always wanted to fly. It is my dream job.
Me (truth): Because the pay is good, and I have a fetish for Air hostesses.

(I've just made this up as an example, and is by no means the case.) Where do you draw the line?

I guess I just wasn't prepared well enough and only have myself to blame.

Does anyone know how long one has to wait to re-apply for the CX Cadet Programme?

AhDee
13th Nov 2003, 09:14
hi mrben, heard that they are going to pu tyou on the list after at least half a year. Its no point for them to call you again in a short time as we can't do much to improve ourselves in just a few months. I got rejeced by CX as well few months ago and I planned to have my next one next year after my PPL Ground Shcool Course. I will then apply for KA as well.

never give up!! the reason why they rejected you is just that its not a right time for you to work for them.

Cheers

YMMBB
13th Nov 2003, 13:24
Hi, I am new here, Just wonder say hi to all.
Anyway, I am just wondering if the interview really the main factor from rejecting you. How about those tests you did? Would they be the factor as well? Could you tell us how well you did for those tests just to share some idea how they would reject a person?
I am thinking of applying for either KA or CX cadetship at the end of next year as I finish university, but I am worrying about the interviews as well, since I have never had any formal interview with anyone, that really put me down for performing in the interview. For people have experiences on interviewing (not necessaryly for airline). Would you share some interview techniques?

AhDee
13th Nov 2003, 14:33
hi, welcome here^^

its better for you to do some interviews first as they will help you to handle your stress and get used to it in such environment. Of course all the tests in the 1st interview do counts including the IQ test as well.

I knew that they are looking for some one who is confident and strong minded as well as a good employee and for those who are looking for a long term career in Avaition Industry.

I did bad in my interview as I didn't tell them what they want from what I have got. I gave too much pressure on myself at that time. so just relax and be yourself.

hear the question carefully. stop them and ask when you don't get it. make sure they can hear every single word you say. get yourself prepared for the interview by knowing some of the backgrounds about the company you are interviewing with....etc

Think more carefully and thoroughly before taking any action, don't just go because the pilots in the TV series (in HK) is cool and handsome. This is your career, your road. Choose which way to go and never regret.

cheers and all the best :ok:

mrben
13th Nov 2003, 16:03
I really regret not applying to the Cadet Programme earlier. I have been out of university for over two years already but didn't apply for it then. I don't know why. I guess I wanted to make sure it was really what I wanted to do. I therefore had trouble accounting for the 2 years I've not been doing much in during the interview. And because of this TV series there must be hundreds more people applying for the scheme now. And I haven't even watched it before, I just heard about it. When and what time is it on?

AhDee
13th Nov 2003, 16:33
haha, me neither. cos I am now doing a PPL Gournd School evening course. it will be on TV from 21:XX til 22:XX every weekdays. don't worry, I have been working in IT for few years and still want to get myself in the cadet pilot program (wish I am not too old for them, haha)
And I have to keep myself physically and mentally fit as well, so I will goto swimming after work when I have time. Fitness is another important things in our way to be a good pilot

mrben
13th Nov 2003, 16:59
Where are you doing this PPL course? Can you give me any information? How old are you now?

YMMBB
13th Nov 2003, 18:11
Thanks alot for the informations. I just wanna apply for it right after I gradurate from university.

Anyway, I know HKACC offers a PPL course (known as AAEP: Advanced Aviation Education Program) which based on Australian flying standrad. Have a look at the details from the link below

http://www.aircadets.org.hk/plttrg_c.html

ChaSewBow
13th Nov 2003, 18:54
If it makes anyone feel any better I just got rejected too. I thought I had a good chance to at least reach Stage 2.

If the lad from KGV I spoke to at CX City and on the MTR is reading this. How did you do? Did you get asked back for Stage 2?

smallwing
14th Nov 2003, 01:13
Dear All,

This is a good example of not applying to both airlines at the same time. It gives yourself some time to think about what might have went on with previous interviews, and how to improve yourself for the next time around.

I am extremely pleased that through television, many are more interested into this field of aviation. It is very challenging and not an easy spot to get onto. But one thing that can be guaranteed will be the satisfaction.

Never give up, if this is what you want. Only way to go is up.

Good Luck

mrben
14th Nov 2003, 02:40
Sorry, but how is it a good example? Now that I've been rejected by CX there should hopefully be less time between now and hearing from KA. If I had not applied for KA during my CX recruitment I'd be applying for it now, and therefore sitting on my ass alot longer.

AhDee
14th Nov 2003, 09:26
no no, this is a good example if you got one of your application rejected and you don't know or you haven't got enough time to improve yourself. don't be too rush on getting into the Cadet Pilot program. if you do it one by one, then you will be able to see and to overcome your weaknesses after your interview if you got rejected. Normally we will have only 1, or luckily 2 times to be called within a year (correct me if I am wrong, I just say it based on my exp) so don't waste your chances.

if you want to get into a specific airline, then apply for 2. cos you won't be having as much pressure as in the interview for the airline you want to join when you are doing it with your least preferred one, and you would be able to do it as a trial run.

If you just want to be a commercial pilot and doesn't matter which airline, then I will suggest you to apply them one by one. This is a matter of you want to be a pilot or if you want to be a CX or KA pilot.

This is only my Opinion. ;)

Hong Kong Uni SPACE and Hong Kong Aviation Club also got PPL Ground School Course. The one with HKACC requires you to be an air cadet first in order to apply. Depends where you want to have it done:)

I just turned 26...... but I have met someone who is in his early 30s when I was in the 1st interview with CX. So I believed that I should be alright haha:p

anyone can tell us that is there any age limit for applying Cadet Pilot Program?

smallwing
14th Nov 2003, 09:45
mrben, I can only assume you applied for Dragonair now that you have failed with CX. I can tell you you will be sitting on your butt for quite a while anyways, because the allotment for next year are already full. The next class they will be interviewing for is for the year 2005.

AhDee is on the spot with my perspective, and let me emphasize MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Unless you are the lucky guy that failed CX but still going down for grading again, then this is just your luck.

But for anyone else out there interested in my two cents, the main objective is firstly, the airline will see more dedication from you towards them by applying one at a time. Second, you do get a little time in between to assess what went wrong with your interviews.

Let me just say arrogance won't buy anyone's way through, and I haven't really encountered an age issue with the program. Just one small issue with age is that sometimes it can be harder for that person to study, compared to the younger guys.

AhDee
14th Nov 2003, 10:52
Chasewbow, u mean you just got rejected by CX after 1st stage?
wow, so CX is still interviewing people for their Cadet Pilot program......

YMMBB
14th Nov 2003, 11:30
Just make it clear that the AAEP (PPL course) offered by HKACC is opened for public. Anyway one can apply for it, but it would cost a bit more if you are not a member of air cadet.

Anyway, just wondering is anyone know about the different between the KA and CX cadet courses?Thanks

AhDee
14th Nov 2003, 13:11
Ooops, YMMBB is right, the one with HKACC is opened to public. thx^^

mrben
14th Nov 2003, 15:15
smallwing, would you be able to tell me how long I might be waiting untill I get a call from KA for the 2005 class? If it's this time next I really can't wait that long.

The advert for the Cadet Programme was placed on their website in August. I sent in my application early October. Did they fill in their 2004 class that quickly? or do they just advertise a good 6-10 months before they start interviewing? Thanks.

smallwing
14th Nov 2003, 17:37
As the next batch of graders for the 2004 course is leaving tomorrow, I really don't know when will the 2005 course start for sure..

If you haven't heard from KA, then maybe try again next year.

I cannot give you an exact time though.

If you can't wait, well sorry to hear that..

mrben
14th Nov 2003, 20:39
Ok Thanks. That advert must of been for 2004 interviews for 2005 training, as johntyrodes applied in September this year and hasn't heard from them either.

BigTimeWannabe
23rd Nov 2003, 17:02
I've noticed that nobody has posted anything on this topic for a week or so. So I thought I'd make a contribution to the proceedings!

Just been on the Dragonair website and there is a recruitment ad dated 19th Nov. I applied in August after seeing an ad back then and got a call within a few weeks. My opinion is that I doubt they are recruiting for 2005 at this stage, so there must still be a chance to jump on the bandwagon for 2004, as they're cashing-in on the publicity from 'Triumph in the skies'?(seems to be a topic of some discussion here.)

Well, for all those who are applying/have applied to Dragonair, I wish you the best of luck!!! Maybe I'll be able to follow in your footsteps one day.

mrben
23rd Nov 2003, 17:36
So bigtimewannabe, you got a call from Dragonair regarding an interview? Are you going through their interview process now?

I have also seen that cadet advert on their website dated the 19th November. Seems to me they are seeking a consistent stream of applicants to get a greater choice of who to recruit, and just post an ad every 3 months or so.

BigTimeWannabe
24th Nov 2003, 07:36
mrben,

Unfortunately I was unsuccessful at the stage one aptitude test. But didn't get much feed back from the recruitment, they just told me I failed overall!?

They first make phone contact with you to go and do a quick 10min medical in central, basic hearing and eye test. Then you go to the dragonair building at CLK for a computer based aptitude test. I found it quite demanding, not only did it test your hand eye co-ordination but also your ability to solve simple maths problems you hear on headphones and matching shapes on screen at the same time. All in all some serious multitasking and I think I failed because I wasn't concentrating 100% and missed half the audio and didn't take my time and focus before each exercise. Having seen the computer based tests the RAF put their applicants through, it felt like I was being assessed for fast-jet training.

From my limited experience, I would advise anyone to take as long as they can through the exercises, I rushed through it all and look where I am. As you can take as long as you want between tasks, use the time to regain focus think about what you did wrong in the previous exercise (because you do some tasks a couple of times) and try to improve your performance.

As for the ad and how long you should expect to wait, I don't want to speculate on that. I have a long wait till my next try anyway!!!!

Wish you the best of luck!

mrben
24th Nov 2003, 22:45
Appreciate your feedback, thanks. I might give them a call this week.
Did you apply to CX aswell? Were KA's tests more difficult than CX's? From what you say it appears to be so.

kefun
30th Nov 2003, 01:33
hey people,

Just posting a message to see if there's anyone here who went to the interview on July 4th 2003? I didnt make it through to the 2nd interview but it was a good experience and I met some decent people whom i'd like to keep in touch with.

Good luck to everyone on their interviews

hijack
30th Nov 2003, 21:42
The selection process is already closed on October, the successful cadidates who passed the final interview with KA are sent to Adelaide for Grading.