PDA

View Full Version : live animal cargo

RUDAS
3rd Oct 2003, 15:51
i believe from a newspaper report a while ago that an individual in Chile brought with him on a flight a box containing a hunded or so live tarantulas.i dont know if it was checked in the hold or if it was in the cabin but surely if that box was to in any way get damaged there would have been chaos on board? shouldnt the airlines have a protocol on taking animals like that on board?

what of the danger that some idiot might try to use a boxfull of tarantulas as a threat to passengers or crew?

Hwel
3rd Oct 2003, 18:00
Actually tarantulas are quite friendly, you get a worse bite off of a cat.

:ouch:

squarkident
3rd Oct 2003, 19:52
Yes but try telling that to the pax as the creatures start crawling up the aisle towards the cockpit..

davethelimey
3rd Oct 2003, 23:38
Also, there is apparantly no such thing as a deadly scorpian to a healthy adult, but that wouldn't stop me ca**ing myself if I found one on the pillow.

surely not
4th Oct 2003, 04:40
Was this an internal flight in Chile?

I think it highly unlikely that the box was allowed to be carried in the cabin.

RUDAS
4th Oct 2003, 19:33
no, as far as i could gather,it was going to MEX.I dont know if it was cabin luggage or not, but the thing is insects like that wouldnt really show up on an x-ray,or would they? so it isnt impossible that people take stuff like that on board undetected.I remember the case of some Ukrainian sailors repositioning to Kiev via LHR on BA from CPT who managed to get a parrot on board and 6 hours into the flight the thing got out and caused chaos in the cabin...

ShesGreatintheGalley
18th Oct 2003, 18:59
ewww spiders!!!!
i have also heard a story about a SNAKE that came crawling up the aisle on a flight (apparently it was harmless but i dont know if it was true or not)

Qantas was in the news a few months ago also becuase two of their planes seemed to be infested with rats or something and the fumigators/rat catchers were having trouble finding them. Pax and crew had reported seeing rats on various flights.
it was on two of their older 737/767 a/c. they are gone now i hope.

i would lock myself in an overhead locker if i saw something like that on my plane!

Tolsti
19th Oct 2003, 00:10
When in the CIS there was a moggy who lived on a TU154 which I saw on several occasions on the Moscow-Yakutsk route. It did quite well at dinner (rubber chicken) time and was prone to come up and have a kip on the seat next to you!

DX Wombat
21st Oct 2003, 23:05
ShesGreatintheGalley you can stop panicking about the little brown rats on the Big Red Rat, I have heard somewhere that they have finally been evicted :ok: