PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining an NDB

rotorspeed
3rd Oct 2003, 15:43
I am interested in installing an NDB at a disused airfield site. Does anyone know any sources of used/new such equipment?

Robert Vesco
3rd Oct 2003, 16:42
Did you already try www.ebay.com? :O :D ;) :cool:

niknak
3rd Oct 2003, 22:38
You don't say where you're from, but if in the UK, try contacting every airport, whereas most used to have two, most make do with one if at all.
Depending on whether you want to use it purely as a locater or as an approach aid, it may be worth waiting for the introduction of CAA approved satalite/GPS approaches.
I understand the principal of these very accurate approaches has been accepted, but until complete control over the functionallity of the satalite itself can be established, the CAA will not approve their introduction. Once they do, the requirement for very expensive ground based facilities such as ILS, NDB and VOR, should no longer be necessary.

Ivan Taclue
4th Oct 2003, 18:07
When Bedford closed their NDB was "made available" and subsequently installed at Bourn for use as a Locator and for navigation training.

Note: there is no published IAP.

Closed military bases might therefor be an option. Probably
available thru the Crown (i.e. MoD)

Suggest you give RFC Bourn / Lindsay Brown a call on
01954 719602

Success!

rotorspeed
4th Oct 2003, 21:03
Many thanks IT, I'll give it a try. It is for a UK site.

capt hangover
5th Oct 2003, 18:48
You could give Rainair a call at Beccles. As far as I'm aware the NDB is still in place although non-op.

Tel: 01502 476400. [email protected]

swh
5th Oct 2003, 22:36
http://www.nautel.com/cgi-dir/products.cgi?action=display&id=38

no sig
6th Oct 2003, 04:34
rotorspeed

If you haven't done so already, speak with the CAA and the Radio Communications agency regarding the licensing of a navigational radio aid. I suspect it is not a straight forward exercise. All sorts of issues in frequency coordination, power, and planning permission, not to mention the installation of any used equipment is probably going to have to meet the European CE standards etc. etc. I had a nightmare of a time a while back getting approvals for a simple HF station. Good Luck with the project anyway.

rotorspeed
7th Oct 2003, 15:46
Really appreciate the leads - following up and will post how I get on!